Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

brit - flying to seattle to stay in vancouver - Visa's???

brit - flying to seattle to stay in vancouver - Visa's???

Old May 19th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brit - flying to seattle to stay in vancouver - Visa's???

Hi guys & gals,
really not sure where this belongs. But need your expertise.

I am a brit staying in vancouver for around 12 days in july/aug.
flights are cheaper to go from london, UK to Seattle and then get a greyhound bus to vancouver.

i don't intend on spending much time max 1 night in seattle each side of flights.

i need a visa for entry to usa but not canada right? and will they let me do this without causing a fuss?

cheers
Old May 19th 2009, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brit - flying to seattle to stay in vancouver - Visa's???

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
Hi guys & gals,
really not sure where this belongs. But need your expertise.

I am a brit staying in vancouver for around 12 days in july/aug.
flights are cheaper to go from london, UK to Seattle and then get a greyhound bus to vancouver.

i don't intend on spending much time max 1 night in seattle each side of flights.

i need a visa for entry to usa but not canada right? and will they let me do this without causing a fuss?

cheers
Normally a Brit does not require a visa to enter the US for vacation...what makes you think you will?

I'll move this over to the US forum.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

whenever i have gone to the states i needed to fill out a visa form (green card maybe?)

cheers though!
Old May 19th 2009, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
whenever i have gone to the states i needed to fill out a visa form (green card maybe?)

cheers though!
Ahhh that the Visa Waiver (VWP) form. You are required to fill that in because you don't need a visa. You will have to fill it in this time too.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

You have nothing to worry about with visas (assuming you are not a convicted criminal or a terrorist). You'll be traveling on the VWP. Just make sure you take details of your return plane flight home when you go to Canada, as the border inspectors there might ask to see it.

Also, forget Greyhound. Take the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver. It will cost you a little more ($10 or so) but it is infinitely better. The train is very spacious, has a bar and doesn't get the lunatics, murderers and rapists that you tend to find on Greyhound buses.

Additionally, the train doesn't have to stop at the border, all US and Canadian processing is done in the Vancouver terminal, which is a much more pleasant and civilized experience.

PM me if you need help on figuring out the train situation.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

You'll need to sort out the ESTA though when you fly they might still hae the green forms running.

Interested in the train too. When I did the reverse trip from Vanvouver to Seattle the train was exhorbitant.
Also lookin on the cascades website seem they are subbing in buses and only one train?
Old May 19th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, only one train per day each way. Buses the rest of the time.

Train leaves Seattle at 7.45 in the morning each day, and leaves Vancouver at 6pm in the evening each day.

It costs about $35 each way if you get it early enough, which is good compared to the $25-odd for horrible greyhound.

I forgot to mention that the train runs along the beach for most of the way, and for long parts is a truly stunning ride. Especially if you nab the seats on the seaward side of the bar, which face outwards, looking out the window.