Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit father changed his name! Passport help!

Brit father changed his name! Passport help!

Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

showardcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit father changed his name! Passport help!

Hello all;
I have seen this asked and answered MANY times before, but my case has a little twist. My father was British till the day he died, after living in the US for about 40 years. I am assembling the documents necessary for my UK passport. (note: I was born in the US in 1958 by an American mother and so am British by decent if I am not mistaken}. My particular wrinkle on this topic is that my father and his brother changed their names before coming to America. So, his birth certificate shows one name, my parents marriage certificate and my birth certificate show the changed name. I have checked the UK Government websites but there does not seem to be a record site for name changes.
How to proceed?

Thanks in advance;
Stephan Howard-Cooper
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit father changed his name! Passport help!

I can't help but I think it is worth point out that this is why many people advocate for consular registration of births.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe ask your mother if she has a copy of the name change deed poll in your late father's belongings that he left behind....that is, if your mother is still living.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Did they change their name by deed poll?

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks much for the quick replies;
They are all gone now and did not leave much behind in way of records. I never thought to ask the old man when he was alive. In checking the UK websites it seems as changing your name could be, or was, a very unregulated affair. Not sure what to submit to the authorities.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by showardcooper
Thanks much for the quick replies;
They are all gone now and did not leave much behind in way of records. I never thought to ask the old man when he was alive. In checking the UK websites it seems as changing your name could be, or was, a very unregulated affair. Not sure what to submit to the authorities.
Do you have any of his citizenship documentation? Also what name is on his US Citizenship Certificate?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

The old man never became a US citizen though he lived here over 40 years. His resident alien cards were always listed as the changed name of Howard-Cooper. I am busily trying to find some, hopefully that will be acceptable. Not sure if I can apply for old copies of his UK passport.

-Stephan
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

The old man never became a US citizen though he lived here over 40 years. His resident alien cards were always listed as the changed name of Howard-Cooper. I am busily trying to find some, hopefully that will be acceptable. Not sure if I can apply for old copies of his UK passport.

-Stephan
Ah ok. There's probably a paper chain somewhere but I can see why it's proving difficult for you.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what to submit to the authorities.
Submit whatever you can.

If he used a deed poll, some ideas here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ge-of-name.htm

If witnesses are still alive, get their testimony.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked the UK Government websites but there does not seem to be a record site for name changes.
How to proceed?
I suggest you contact Dean Churm, the British Consul. He's a member of this board: http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085. He may not be able to help, but he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Ian