Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit families In Jacksonville

Brit families In Jacksonville

Old Feb 6th 2020, 2:29 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit families In Jacksonville

Originally Posted by AnnaLancashire View Post
the job offer isn’t short term but I suspect our stay. Might be, is that going to be full of difficulties?
Well as Boiler has already said, you'll be living in the US on a visa that was designed as a tourist visa, and the fact that that is possible is only a quirk of history. As the US struggled to come to terms with the idea of gay marriage, and because all US visas, including work visas, only recognize a married couple for the purpose of granting visas to domestic partners. To reflect the reality that some couple were same sex and that there was no visa that allowed a same-sex "trailing partner" any sort of visa to live in the US with the partner who had been granted a work visa, the president at that time (Bill Clinton, I think) approved the use of a B-2 visa, which can be award to potentially any individual, as an end-run around the issue that only married partners qualify for a trailing spouse visa. Today of course gay marriage is legal and so same sex partners are able to get a trailing spouse visa if they are married, the B-2 visa use as for a "unmarried domestic partner" remains as an option for unmarried trailing partners.

Given the above, the thing you need to be aware of, is that as you are on a tourist visa, you may have all sorts of difficulties - I am not sure you'll be able get a SSN, which operates as a de facto national ID number, this and the B-2 visa might make it difficult to get a drivers license, which you are "required" to obtain within 30 days of arriving in Florida. You may also have difficulties in opening a bank account, and registering for utilities. The work around to these issues may be to se whatever route an illegal immigrant uses - at least some states will issue drivers licenses to those who cannot verify that they are in the US legally.

In short, you should think very carefully whether you want to come to live in the US using a B-2 visa as in many respects you will be a non-person.
oh I don’t know - one provided via employer / job offer. Is that lottery?
What sort of employer - is it engaged in education or scientific research? If not then the availability of a visa depends on a visa application in March and a lottery, as the H-1B visa type is invariably over-subscribed by 3-4 times, so there is usually only a 25%-30% chance of being granted a visa. If you are successful in the lottery then the visa is only valid for work from October 1st of the year in which the visa is granted, so unless your partner has been offered a job by an educational or research institution, they will have to apply in the lottery process and won't be able to work before October 2020.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2020 at 2:38 am.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

oh I don’t know - one provided via employer / job offer. Is that lottery?

Is your partner's job in education/academic or research fields?
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:43 am
Just Joined

AnnaLancashire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
Is your partner's job in education/academic or research fields?
no just a commercial business however they have done this before with employees and another person joined last week. So happy they know the process ok.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Really valid points about using the tourist visa and I hadn’t thought about all the implications.

partner has experienced employer to manage his visa (someone else just moved & started at his company) so I’m happy he will be able to make the move.

the fact him & I aren’t married just leaves me with a predicament.

Thanks for all the comments, we will have to talk to his employer seriously about next steps.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 8:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

partner has experienced employer to manage his visa (someone else just moved & started at his company) so I’m happy he will be able to make the move.

the fact him & I aren’t married just leaves me with a predicament.

Thanks for all the comments, we will have to talk to his employer seriously about next steps.
The someone else must have either been lucky in last year's lottery, or moved on a different visa.

As said above, if your partner is lucky enough to be selected and gets the visa in the lottery, then he won't be able to start work until October anyway, so plenty of time to sort things out for your visa. If marriage is an option, that would probably be your easiest option tbh.

Also, if you think there's any chance that you might want to stay permanently, or that you may want to be able to work at some point (even if you are married, an H4 visa doesn't allow you to), then make sure you get it in writing that your partner's employer will sponsor for green cards within x amount of time.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Maybe it’s a different visa as there isn’t any lottery involved - the company have offered a role and will organise the visa and associated costs - it’s for 3 years and extendable to 6.

H1-B visa would be his and ideally as his family we would come on a H4 category but as we aren’t married that proves an issue.

we are heading over in 2 weeks to look around and make a decision! Thanks for all the advice.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 11:24 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it’s a different visa as there isn’t any lottery involved - the company have offered a role and will organise the visa and associated costs - it’s for 3 years and extendable to 6.

H1-B visa would be his and ideally as his family we would come on a H4 category ....
Did the employer say the visa being applied for is an H-1B? If so I would be very interest to know why they think they can bypass the lottery?

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2020 at 11:36 am.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you've misunderstood which visa they'll be applying for. Which will hopefully be a good thing, as pretty much any visa would be better than a H1-B! Does he work for the company currently, is it maybe a L1? It's worth clarifying the with the company's lawyers..
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I’ll have to clarify and we don’t know exactly which visa. But no mention of a lottery anywhere, they have already made an offer of the job.
its a group company (so not the same but in the wider group) so perhaps it is considered more of an internal move????
we will find out I’m sure, just hope it gives me more certainty.
thanks again for taking time to chat.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Having looked at the L visa online, I’m sure this seems the most likely route!
only option is that we need to be married!!
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:35 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Having looked at the L visa online, I’m sure this seems the most likely route!....
As I thought.
.... Only option is that we need to be married!!
What terrible news! I'm' sorry to hear that.

So, on to another topic that will cast a long shadow over your life if you come to live in the US - taxes. The US income tax rules lean very heavily towards favouring married couples, so if you're married and not working, your deduction (Brit-speak: personal allowance), so your husband would get roughly an additional $12,000 tax free, which probably means about $3k/year tax saving for being married.

BTW please use the "Quote" button so we know who you are replying to - and they will also get alerted that their post has been replied to. It's over near the bottom right corner of each post. ------>

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 6th 2020 at 1:38 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Sounds like you've misunderstood which visa they'll be applying for. Which will hopefully be a good thing, as pretty much any visa would be better than a H1-B! Does he work for the company currently, is it maybe a L1? It's worth clarifying the with the company's lawyers..

hi
yes. Was wrong, it’s a L1 visa which is a relief.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
As I thought.
What terrible news! I'm' sorry to hear that.

So, on to another topic that will cast a long shadow over your life if you come to live in the US - taxes. The US income tax rules lean very heavily towards favouring married couples, so if you're married and not working, your deduction (Brit-speak: personal allowance), so your husband would get roughly an additional $12,000 tax free, which probably means about $3k/year tax saving for being married.

BTW please use the "Quote" button so we know who you are replying to - and they will also get alerted that their post has been replied to. It's over near the bottom right corner of each post. ------>

hi
yes i was wrong on the visa, it’s an L1 visa which we are relocating on. So now need to find some local ex-pats to help with practical things like schools etc.
thanks