British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit expats can receive UK pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brit-expats-can-receive-uk-pension-714045/)

BritInSanAnonio Apr 20th 2011 3:50 pm

Brit expats can receive UK pension

Just in case any of you don't already know, if you worked and paid "stamps" in the UK you can receive a UK pension. When you are old enough it arrives direct deposit in dollars. Your US wife, who has never set foot on UK soil may also receive a UK pension. Respond if you want more details.

Dave

Bob Apr 20th 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Brit expats can receive UK pension

Yes, most people know already, there are numerous threads on this.

Welcome to BE...but if you have thoughts of touting financial advice type business, read up on site rules first.

nun Apr 20th 2011 4:46 pm

OK, tell us more

lansbury Apr 20th 2011 5:42 pm

Mafikeng has been relieved :rofl:

nun Apr 20th 2011 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9317015)
Mafikeng has been relieved :rofl:

Yes, and Nelson wins at Trafalga.........it certainly sounds like old news, but maybe there is some new insight.

mikechristina Apr 20th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by BritInSanAnonio (Post 9316773)
Just in case any of you don't already know, if you worked and paid "stamps" in the UK you can receive a UK pension. When you are old enough it arrives direct deposit in dollars. Your US wife, who has never set foot on UK soil may also receive a UK pension. Respond if you want more details.

Dave

My husband has owned his own company for 20+ years and has paid into a private pension scheme. Does this apply to us as well?

How would I (as his USC wife) quailfy for a pension in the UK?

Bob Apr 20th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikechristina (Post 9317107)

He dies and you don't remarry.

mikechristina Apr 20th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9317210)
He dies and you don't remarry.

What a heart warming thought! I'll keep him instead of the cash. Thank you for responding though :)

nun Apr 20th 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by mikechristina (Post 9317107)
My husband has owned his own company for 20+ years and has paid into a private pension scheme. Does this apply to us as well?

To qualify for a UK state pension your husband will have to have paid a number of NI contributions; the UK equivalent of SS. With enough contributions at retirement age he will get a married persons pension. This is separate form any company pension he pays into

mwdake Apr 20th 2011 11:16 pm

have to have paid a number of NI contributions
Does any body know how many contributions?
Would only working in the UK for approximately 12 years be enough?

nun Apr 20th 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by mwdake (Post 9317595)
Does any body know how many contributions?
Would only working in the UK for approximately 12 years be enough?

30 years gets you a full pension and 12 years wil get 12/30 ths of the pension. There are some changes to the rules on how much you get that depend on age. Your husband can get a pension forecast from the UK Pensions Service and may also be able to make voluntary contributions. However any pension he gets from non SS wages will reduce his US SS pension

mwdake Apr 20th 2011 11:29 pm

30 years gets you a full pension and 12 years wil get 12/30 ths of the pension. There are some changes to the rules on how much you get that depend on age. Your husband can get a pension forecast from the UK Pensions Service and may also be able to make voluntary contributions. However any pension he gets from non SS wages will reduce his US SS pension
Great answer thanks.

mamasue Apr 21st 2011 12:03 am

I'm the UKC...I get my state pension next January.....
I know I get social security here in 2 years...
How does my USC husband get entitled to a UK pension? I'm confused!

Nutmegger Apr 21st 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 9317682)
How does my USC husband get entitled to a UK pension? I'm confused!

To be blunt, he lives longer than you do, as noted above!

SultanOfSwing Apr 21st 2011 1:57 pm

I don't know if I worked enough to get one because I moved here at 26, but I had a squizz on the UK pensions website and apparently if I was still in the UK, my retirement age, by virtue of being born in 1979, would be 68 :eek:

I'll get my civil service pension at 60 though, even if I'm still here. I only worked there 4 years so I'm not expecting much :lol: