British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brit-expat-no-credit-car-loans-help-724939/)

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 9:08 pm

Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help!

I've been endlessly looking at different places online for getting a car. I will need a car loan, but really can't decided how to go about it.
I have no credit history (won't accept it from the uk) and am looking to get a Toyota yaris hatchback for under $10,000. Any good suggestions for loans and where to find such a car?

Thanks

avanutria Jul 14th 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help!

You might be better off getting a cheap clunker for a couple years, one that you don't need a loan for, and start establishing a credit history now that you can use for the car you want when the clunker conks out.

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 9:38 pm

I would if I didn't have to drive so much. I need a reliable car that won't be in the garage a lot or cost me a fortune fixing it. I'm looking for a decent place to get a loan and a car... Any ideas

ljaw2002uk Jul 14th 2011 9:43 pm

Look on craigslist. I bought a perfectly good vehicle for under $3k. No loan, looks great, and will last me until we are settled and ready for new.

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 9:46 pm

I was hoping to get a car loan to help my credit score... thus the post

cluedweasel Jul 14th 2011 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by feltonisounds (Post 9496036)
I was hoping to get a car loan to help my credit score... thus the post

When I first came over, I got a car loan after 6 months or so. I had no credit history, so I had an exorbitant interest rate of around 22%. didn't really matter because I paid it off almost straightaway. It was just a way of building some credit history. The current economic situation may have put paid to that though.
Is there anyone with U.S. credit in your family who could co-sign?

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 10:41 pm

That's the situation i'm in now. Which company did you use for the loan? I don't have anyone who I would ask to co-sign. Just me myself and I I'm afraid

cluedweasel Jul 14th 2011 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by feltonisounds (Post 9496112)
That's the situation i'm in now. Which company did you use for the loan? I don't have anyone who I would ask to co-sign. Just me myself and I I'm afraid

I got it though the Honda dealership I bought the car at. It was through Bank of America if i recall correctly.

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 10:49 pm

Thank you! That's really helpful.

ljaw2002uk Jul 14th 2011 11:00 pm

In addition, there is plenty of information out there for new arrivals to the US on how to build up a good credit score. You might want to Google it.

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 11:06 pm

Think I'm all googles out. By far the best way to get a good start on credit is a secured credit card and buying a car. So far one outmoded two ain't bad!!

N1cky Jul 14th 2011 11:13 pm

We got a great offer through VW of around 4.5% 3 years ago, it's tied into the length of your visa. I don't know if anyone else does something similar, I found this link by just following the Finance page on their website.

http://www.vw.com/en/financial-servi...-programs.html

feltonisounds Jul 14th 2011 11:38 pm

Thank you

White-ishRose Jul 15th 2011 12:02 am

We were recommended by the car dealership to go and talk to a local credit union. They were really helpful, gave us a great deal (relatively) on a car loan and gave us credit cards too with a reasonable starting limit (ie not the $300 that Capital One offered us!!) The Banks were less than useless...

Bob Jul 15th 2011 12:38 am

put more down...or use a local credit union...or join AAA and get a loan through them, they seem to offer okay loans through various credit unions.