Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help!

Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help!

Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Expat- no credit- CAR LOANS!! help!

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
In addition, there is plenty of information out there for new arrivals to the US on how to build up a good credit score. You might want to Google it.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics

like that section of the wiki here?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:44 am
Just Joined

feltonisounds is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone this has been a great help.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
We were recommended by the car dealership to go and talk to a local credit union. They were really helpful, gave us a great deal (relatively) on a car loan and gave us credit cards too with a reasonable starting limit (ie not the $300 that Capital One offered us!!) The Banks were less than useless...
AS several other have said, check out a credit union. However, be aware that you have to some "affiliation" to be a member -- for example, live or work in certain community.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 3:32 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics

like that section of the wiki here?
Possibly.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

Since you want a Toyota, check out their financial services portal for options, you should be able to even apply for credit ahead of time and figure out APR you'd get:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal
Old Jul 15th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Join a credit union if one is available.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I got a car loan after 4 weeks of being here through BWM financial services. They have a "global executive" program. They required a copy of my Visa and letter from my employer confirming employment and salary. I didn't have any problems, was agreed within 2 days. The loan couldn't exceed the length of my Visa however.

Audi and Mercedes also offered me something similar - worth asking Toyota if they operate a similar scheme??
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

docholywood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EricK
I got a car loan after 4 weeks of being here through BWM financial services. They have a "global executive" program. They required a copy of my Visa and letter from my employer confirming employment and salary. I didn't have any problems, was agreed within 2 days. The loan couldn't exceed the length of my Visa however.

Audi and Mercedes also offered me something similar - worth asking Toyota if they operate a similar scheme??
Great info I'll check that out - did the rates seem competitive vs what a local would get? Would you mind sharing what deposit they expected and monthly installments you paid?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

They had a promotion on for finance deals - think I am paying 1.9%.

I put down a large deposit as I only wanted a small amount of finance to build my credit history - however there was no stipulation that I had to do this, I could have just paid a regular deposit amount - it was my choice to put more in.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EricK
They had a promotion on for finance deals - think I am paying 1.9%.

I put down a large deposit as I only wanted a small amount of finance to build my credit history - however there was no stipulation that I had to do this, I could have just paid a regular deposit amount - it was my choice to put more in.
Did you get this direct from a dealer? I've spoken to a couple of BMW dealers and neither were aware of any type of program, despite me asking specifically.

I'd really appreciate any more info you can provide
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, from BMW Long Island - the agreement is through BMW financial services and was taken out through the dealer.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Desmodronic is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same situation, the dreaded "no credit history" thing.

With the economic downturn the government relaxed the rules on credit unions. Lets face it......wasnt it those with good credit that had all the mortgages and loans in the first place who then couldent pay them back?

The banks basically had no one to lend to and had to get income from somewhere.But the banks had no money .

My credit union manager told me that they were giving loans to those who had no credit history but that did have a pay check history........sort of a no brainer really.

Any way........I would suggest you find a credit union that is attached to something like your local educators union.......mine is nefcu.

With no credit history I bought a $20000 Mustang with no money down and 3.9% interest.

There are other benefits too, these credit unions are non for profits or something like that so are not bowwing to shareholders, so your banking if done threw them will be a lot more cheaper and also less frustrating.

I do all mine threw them now....thats one less headache of my plate.............now anyone know how i can get around having to deal with the dmv office......