Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit Churches in Dallas/Plano?

Brit Churches in Dallas/Plano?

Old May 22nd 2008, 12:44 am
Just Joined

mystarsandgarters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit Churches in Dallas/Plano?

Hello all. Are there any churches in Dallas/Plano/Frisco that have any considerable Brit contingent to them? I was hoping to find somewhere to take the kiddies at Xmas... Somewhere reasonable, obviously, not to the First Church of Bible Thumping and Hating Everyone that the ladies at my job attend. That huge church at Hebron and Midway frightens me, seriously. I know there's no C of E-- someone told me that Episcopal is the equivalent here. Is that true?
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Churches in Dallas/Plano?

Originally Posted by mystarsandgarters
Hello all. Are there any churches in Dallas/Plano/Frisco that have any considerable Brit contingent to them? I was hoping to find somewhere to take the kiddies at Xmas... Somewhere reasonable, obviously, not to the First Church of Bible Thumping and Hating Everyone that the ladies at my job attend. That huge church at Hebron and Midway frightens me, seriously. I know there's no C of E-- someone told me that Episcopal is the equivalent here. Is that true?

Why not try a United Methodist church? It's not British but most congregations are fairly mainstream in the U.S. context.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Episcopal is the nearest to CofE. I enjoy the services (when I go, usually high days and holidays)...reminds me of home...sitting in the village church in my Brownie uniform
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:13 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Brit Churches in Dallas/Plano?

Originally Posted by mystarsandgarters

I know there's no C of E-- someone told me that Episcopal is the equivalent here. Is that true?
Yes. I don't know why it isn't called an Anglican Church here, or even the Church of the USA. I don't even know what the word Episcopalian means, but next time you go past you might notice that they all have part of the St. George's flag incorporated on their church signs and flags (in the form of a shield).

The Episcopalian churches here seem to be more 'liberal' than the ones in the UK but they still answer to the Archbishop of Canterbury (although my local village C of E church near Epping in Essex was very 'High' eg. almost R. Catholic with genuflecting etc.).

There was a big fuss a couple of months or so ago about New Hampshire ordinating a gay Bishop, which greatly upset the leaders in the Anglican Church in the African countries.

I did go to our local Episcopalian church here a couple of times when I first moved here (and it even looks like an old English church). However, I was put off by the vicar announcing that parishioners should be making a bigger financial contribution of approx 10% of ones income.. - I was shocked at the blatant appeal for money which just never happened in my experience in England!
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There was a big fuss a couple of months or so ago about New Hampshire ordinating a gay Bishop, which greatly upset the leaders in the Anglican Church in the African countries.
Yes - here is a quick reminder of what the Church of England stands for...
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes. I don't know why it isn't called an Anglican Church here, or even the Church of the USA. I don't even know what the word Episcopalian means, but next time you go past you might notice that they all have part of the St. George's flag incorporated on their church signs and flags (in the form of a shield).

The Episcopalian churches here seem to be more 'liberal' than the ones in the UK but they still answer to the Archbishop of Canterbury (although my local village C of E church near Epping in Essex was very 'High' eg. almost R. Catholic with genuflecting etc.).

I did go to our local Episcopalian church here a couple of times when I first moved here (and it even looks like an old English church). However, I was put off by the vicar announcing that parishioners should be making a bigger financial contribution of approx 10% of ones income.. - I was shocked at the blatant appeal for money which just never happened in my experience in England!

It's the norm for most churches here. Catholic, Baptist, Methodist etc all expect you to tithe when you become a member of their congregation and it is usually 10% of your income.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It's the norm for most churches here. Catholic, Baptist, Methodist etc all expect you to tithe when you become a member of their congregation and it is usually 10% of your income.
Most encourage it ... but it's usually not mandatory.
Depends on denomination and congregation.

And it's not mandatory (at least not in most mainstream congregations) to become a member. Many people attend church occasionally or regularly for a long period of time without becoming members.

All that said, as people become more involved in their churches and get to know better the things that their church does, it's normal for those of faith to want to make a contribution.

Last edited by JAJ; May 22nd 2008 at 4:57 am.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not try a United Methodist church?
That's Ray's denomination, I believe.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That's Ray's denomination, I believe.
I thought his was a C note?
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:01 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I thought his was a C note?
A simple man like him doesn't need bling.
Old May 22nd 2008, 5:06 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Episcopalian here....

The Episcopal Church in the US is part of the global Anglican Communion. There are some breakaway churches who label themselves Anglican; this is mostly in protest of the US Episcopal stance on issues like gay priests, or who use the 1928 Book Of Common Prayer.
Old May 22nd 2008, 11:45 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

This church is just a few minutes walk from my childhood home, next to the C of E school I went to. The church, and the roof, are falling apart because of lack of funds. Which is why people need to donate to churches, and not just turn up for wedding and funerals, and expect someone else to pay. JKRowling used to live in the house next door to it, and I believe she donated a large sum of money. Many of the old churches have the same problem.

http://www.stlukesroofappeal.co.uk/index2.html
Old May 23rd 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

fathermike is an unknown quantity at this point

The Episcopal Church is what the Church of England in the colonies became after the unpleasantness of 1776. Before then all the churches in the official British colonies were considered to be a part of the Church of England's Diocese of London. After the revolution those churches became the Protestant Episcopal Church in The United States of America. The word Episcopal simply means church with Bishops, the term is derived from the Greek word for shepherd, the Bishop being the chief shepherd.

Episcopal churches come in all 'flavours' pretty much like the Church of England. You can find everything from high church Anglo Catholic to low church Evangelical. To some degree it depends where you live in the US, there are regional variations from diocese to diocese in predominant theological outlook.

I am one of the Priests at a large Episcopal Church in Clearwater Florida, before that I was a Vicar in the diocese of Lichfield in England. Our church here is very much middle of the road, we are very similar to many Church of England parishes just with a lot more people who are members. Giving 10% of ones income is not compulsory for members, we leave it for our members to work out with God what he calls them to give from their finances. I am sure we have people who give more than 10% and many who give nothing like 10%.

Sorry for the sermon, but ask a priest a question and he has trouble knowing when to stop

Fr Mike+
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:53 am
Lapine Member

Nice to hear from you Fr Mike.
Old May 23rd 2008, 5:14 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting FatherMike. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.