Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Photo pls mamasue
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Photo pls mamasue

Ok..... but you'll have to tell me how to put it here!!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
Ok..... but you'll have to tell me how to put it here!!
Hit the quote button.

Can you see that there are options just above the quoted comment? The words "fonts" and "sizes"...then a little to the right there is a paperclip sign. Click on that paperclip.
A new little windw opens.
Choose browse - this lets you look for the photo file that you have saved on your hard drive or memory stick.
Select the file.
Choose "upload" in the little window.
Voila

Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

elmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your input. Does anyone have the name of a Registered Importer that might be willing to try the "kit car" idea?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, Ozzidoc..... but it's not dark blue any more....
It's being renovated, almost complete...
grey primer, going to paint shop in a few days...will be painted creamy white....
With a lovely new red interior!!

I'll post more pics when it's completed.
Attached Thumbnails Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US-z-home-023.jpg   Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US-z-home-025.jpg  

Last edited by mamasue; Sep 8th 2009 at 12:46 am.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

grey primer, going to paint shop in a few days...will be painted creamy white....

Beautiful!!!!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I almost bumped into an old Morris Minor up in Maine, didn't have the wooden bits though and was a bit crusty as the bloke hadn't finished working on it...seemed really weird and out of place in the middle of no where
Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by elmorrison
Thank you all for your input. It's clear that import restrictions on new cars make a conventional method of bringing a Volkswagen camper into the States impossible. I was looking for something non-conventional but still legal. In a previous post several years ago, someone mentioned the idea of removing the motor and bringing a car in as a "kit", then registering it after it's reassembled. Any thoughts on that?
You could bring it over as parts, BUT you need to have a US chassis complete with a VIN number that would take the parts, and even then the chassis would need to to be an early chassis (I believe 1976 or earlier) to be acceptable to the DMV.

Or as others have said, have a older vehicle (1976 or earlier I believe) that can be re-registered at the DMV

Here's my Beach Buggy on a 1970 Chassis which took the donor parts (no smog check on this baby for me
Attached Thumbnails Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US-buggy-002.jpg  

Last edited by peteandvanessa; Sep 9th 2009 at 11:07 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

Originally Posted by hobbes79
That's interesting. I've got my highschool car in my parents garage since I can't quite bare to part with it. It's an '87 mini. So in 3-years, sounds like getting it over here might fall into the realms of reality.

Hmmmm...
Just imported a 1980 MG. Its fairly easy. Has to be 25 years from date of manufacture for DOT and 21 years for EPA. Its then exempt from Fed Regulations.

Is the car engine original. If so, start laughing........

PS. The process is not cheap!!!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

My uncle had 2 of 'em. My dad's best man still has a mini traveller, on a old F plate. Bought it from new. Had the wood replaced twice and its been round the clock 3 times. They used to go skiing/climbing in Scotland in the thing "when we had proper winters!" or so i'm told.

I've just imported a MG. It arrived friday. One question. Are you going to keep the UK plates. Not sure if we're allowed to......going to blag it and then profess english ignorance if stopped....
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
You could bring it over as parts, BUT you need to have a US chassis complete with a VIN number that would take the parts, and even then the chassis would need to to be an early chassis (I believe 1976 or earlier) to be acceptable to the DMV.

Or as others have said, have a older vehicle (1976 or earlier I believe) that can be re-registered at the DMV

Here's my Beach Buggy on a 1970 Chassis which took the donor parts (no smog check on this baby for me
You have a bug and a boat. You bastard!!!!!

Life must be hell!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lover not a fighter
You have a bug and a boat. You bastard!!!!!

Life must be hell!!!!!!!!!
It is hell, sometimes I have no room in the garage cos the boat and the Beach Buggy are both squashed in there. Still could be worse, if I was in the UK the boat and the Beach Buggy would just be models
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to rain on your parade, but its going to be very difficult. Anything over 25 years that's original is pretty easy. There is a small list of cars under 25 years of age which conform. The T5 doesn't. Plus, you are really up against it as the T5 is not sold in the us.
You could import it into the us without the engine/powertrain, and a whole load of other stuff such as seat belts, light's, etc which won't make the Fed's safety reg's. As the car isn't manufactured for the US market, what would you bolt back in?
The T5 is manufactured in Mexico, but to us reg's? I doubt it. Even if they are, the car has to be bolted back together by a "registered importer", who then certify the car. Apparently, they are extremely expensive, and you have to give them a bond of 150% of the car's value.
Your best route maybe to contact a VW dealership and see if there is anyway in which they can import one from Mexico.
We met 3 young lads recently who had bought a 1970's CV for $3K & spent the summer travelling around the states in it! O to be young !
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peteandvanessa
It is hell, sometimes I have no room in the garage cos the boat and the Beach Buggy are both squashed in there. Still could be worse, if I was in the UK the boat and the Beach Buggy would just be models
Ditto. We've just got a new car (see above) plus a tractor mower and 3 tonnes of pellets have just been delivered. Its like the Dukes of Hazard trying to get out of one of the cars now.

The kid's don't seem to have realised that their bikes and electric ATV's have mysteriously disappeared
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lover not a fighter
I've just imported a MG. It arrived friday. One question. Are you going to keep the UK plates. Not sure if we're allowed to......going to blag it and then profess english ignorance if stopped....
Depends on the state, but most states say you've got x number of days ranging from 10-60 days to register, inspect and plate up a car you bring into the state.

As for keeping the UK plate, depends on the state again, in Mass if you have the old green plates you don't need a front plate so can have something fun, but if it's a new plate you have to have a mass plate front and back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.