Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

elmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Is anyone aware of a method of bringing a Volkswagen T5 Camper to the U.S.? I have read several posts in the past indicating that a temporary import is possible but I wonder if there is a way to keep the vehicle here permanently. One mentioned shipping the camper separate from its motor as a "kit" car. Has anyone had experience with this kind of project?
Ken Morrison
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

They have campers here ya know
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Getting it shipped would be the easy part. Getting it legally imported, registered, titled, and insured for US roads will range from nightmarish to impossible. Start with trying to find out if there's any documentation from VW stating that the vehicle meets US safety and emissions standards. If you can't get that it's game over.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth the hassle....but welcome to BE though
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

There are very strict rules (VERY strict) on importing cars to the US that are < 25 years old. While you can bring it over temporarily, you have to send it back when you are done or they will crush it (literally). US emission and safety regulations differ from those in the UK and EU and some cars sold in Europe will basically never be 'street legal' in the US.

Do a google search (or even a site search) on importing Rovers to the US and the hell of that process. Or even do a search on bringing over a London Taxi to the US and you'll get more info on the import problems.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:47 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

You could dismantle it and have it brought over as scrap metal for use as sculpting material for an art installation - which given the age of the vehicles would be a fitting tribute. Sausalito has some prime waterfront screaming out for more crap...art.

Last edited by Kate2112; Sep 3rd 2009 at 8:48 pm. Reason: Whoops ..Welcome to BE
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

If it's over 25 years old, it's not difficult to do!!
We've just imported a 1971 Morris Minor Traveller from Birmingam UK to Georgia.
It wasn't difficult... But...
If it's under 25.... forget it!!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
I can just see them checking it for woodworm!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Hellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud of

I have just looked into this for my husbands car as well - it's a whole other layer of difficult if you are importing to California. It has to be older than 1975 to avoid smog tests OR a car sold in the US also so they have emissions data for that year of car.

You might want to check into laws in the state you plan to move to as well... There might be additional emissions laws on top of the rule that it needs to be over 25 years old.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
That's interesting. I've got my highschool car in my parents garage since I can't quite bare to part with it. It's an '87 mini. So in 3-years, sounds like getting it over here might fall into the realms of reality.

Hmmmm...
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

elmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your input. It's clear that import restrictions on new cars make a conventional method of bringing a Volkswagen camper into the States impossible. I was looking for something non-conventional but still legal. In a previous post several years ago, someone mentioned the idea of removing the motor and bringing a car in as a "kit", then registering it after it's reassembled. Any thoughts on that?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmorrison View Post
Thank you all for your input. It's clear that import restrictions on new cars make a conventional method of bringing a Volkswagen camper into the States impossible. I was looking for something non-conventional but still legal. In a previous post several years ago, someone mentioned the idea of removing the motor and bringing a car in as a "kit", then registering it after it's reassembled. Any thoughts on that?
Why not just buy one in the US - it'll be cheaper and have less rust.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Why not just buy one in the US - it'll be cheaper and have less rust.
Well cheaper for sure.. and they're a hot item on That Side aren't they?
They aren't cheap in the US, but they must be cheapER, yes?

I haven't given up my camper van dreams I guess....
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmorrison View Post
Sorry mate, but my thought is still "forget it". When you try to register it, the VIN will give you away.

If you really don't want to give up, contact (in writing) the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state you'll be moving to. See if they will play ball. If they tell you it can't be done, that's that.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
I can just see them checking it for woodworm!

Lol....Yes they actually did.... the Agriculture department sprayed it for bugs and diseases!!

Last edited by mamasue; Sep 5th 2009 at 7:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.