British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-volkswagen-california-camper-us-629023/)

elmorrison Sep 3rd 2009 6:54 pm

Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

Is anyone aware of a method of bringing a Volkswagen T5 Camper to the U.S.? I have read several posts in the past indicating that a temporary import is possible but I wonder if there is a way to keep the vehicle here permanently. One mentioned shipping the camper separate from its motor as a "kit" car. Has anyone had experience with this kind of project?
Ken Morrison

Englishtart Sep 3rd 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Bringing a Volkswagen California Camper to the US

They have campers here ya know ;)

Bill_S Sep 3rd 2009 7:32 pm

Getting it shipped would be the easy part. Getting it legally imported, registered, titled, and insured for US roads will range from nightmarish to impossible. Start with trying to find out if there's any documentation from VW stating that the vehicle meets US safety and emissions standards. If you can't get that it's game over.

Bob Sep 3rd 2009 8:03 pm

Not worth the hassle....but welcome to BE though :)

penguinsix Sep 3rd 2009 8:43 pm

There are very strict rules (VERY strict) on importing cars to the US that are < 25 years old. While you can bring it over temporarily, you have to send it back when you are done or they will crush it (literally). US emission and safety regulations differ from those in the UK and EU and some cars sold in Europe will basically never be 'street legal' in the US.

Do a google search (or even a site search) on importing Rovers to the US and the hell of that process. Or even do a search on bringing over a London Taxi to the US and you'll get more info on the import problems.

Kate2112 Sep 3rd 2009 8:47 pm

You could dismantle it and have it brought over as scrap metal for use as sculpting material for an art installation - which given the age of the vehicles would be a fitting tribute. Sausalito has some prime waterfront screaming out for more crap...art.

mamasue Sep 4th 2009 1:53 am

If it's over 25 years old, it's not difficult to do!!
We've just imported a 1971 Morris Minor Traveller from Birmingam UK to Georgia.
It wasn't difficult... But...
If it's under 25.... forget it!!

fatbrit Sep 4th 2009 2:03 am

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 7902551)

I can just see them checking it for woodworm!

Hellojulie Sep 4th 2009 8:11 am

I have just looked into this for my husbands car as well - it's a whole other layer of difficult if you are importing to California. It has to be older than 1975 to avoid smog tests OR a car sold in the US also so they have emissions data for that year of car.

You might want to check into laws in the state you plan to move to as well... :) There might be additional emissions laws on top of the rule that it needs to be over 25 years old.

hobbes79 Sep 4th 2009 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 7902551)

That's interesting. I've got my highschool car in my parents garage since I can't quite bare to part with it. It's an '87 mini. So in 3-years, sounds like getting it over here might fall into the realms of reality.

Hmmmm...

elmorrison Sep 4th 2009 7:53 pm

Thank you all for your input. It's clear that import restrictions on new cars make a conventional method of bringing a Volkswagen camper into the States impossible. I was looking for something non-conventional but still legal. In a previous post several years ago, someone mentioned the idea of removing the motor and bringing a car in as a "kit", then registering it after it's reassembled. Any thoughts on that?

Cape Blue Sep 4th 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by elmorrison (Post 7905270)
Thank you all for your input. It's clear that import restrictions on new cars make a conventional method of bringing a Volkswagen camper into the States impossible. I was looking for something non-conventional but still legal. In a previous post several years ago, someone mentioned the idea of removing the motor and bringing a car in as a "kit", then registering it after it's reassembled. Any thoughts on that?

Why not just buy one in the US - it'll be cheaper and have less rust.

meauxna Sep 4th 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 7905327)
Why not just buy one in the US - it'll be cheaper and have less rust.

Well cheaper for sure.. and they're a hot item on That Side aren't they?
They aren't cheap in the US, but they must be cheapER, yes?

I haven't given up my camper van dreams I guess....:wub:

Bill_S Sep 4th 2009 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by elmorrison (Post 7905270)

Sorry mate, but my thought is still "forget it". When you try to register it, the VIN will give you away.

If you really don't want to give up, contact (in writing) the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state you'll be moving to. See if they will play ball. If they tell you it can't be done, that's that.

mamasue Sep 5th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7902564)
I can just see them checking it for woodworm!

Lol....Yes they actually did.... the Agriculture department sprayed it for bugs and diseases!!:thumbup: