Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing stuff from Canada

bringing stuff from Canada

Old Apr 3rd 2003, 10:50 pm
  #1  
Steven Obal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default bringing stuff from Canada

Does anyone know if the port of entry (land border for me) charges duty on
all your personal belongings. And if they do how much could it be, I have a
lot of stuff including big ticket items like, my car , fridge, stove,
electronics and other furniture. Thanks for any insight.

Steven
 
Old Apr 4th 2003, 3:44 pm
  #2  
Christina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: bringing stuff from Canada

Hi Steven,

You will not have to pay duty on your personal belongings. I did have
to fill out a Customs form for my vehicle. You will also have to fill
out some paperwork on your personal belongings at the POE. Make sure
that your vehicle meets US Emission Controls standards. I had to get
a letter from the manufacturer stating that my vehicle meets all US
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety and EPA Exhaust Standards. I contacted
the manufacturer in Canada for that information well in advance of my
move.
There is information on the US Customs website for bringing in
personal belongings and such. When I moved I had a 26 ft truck full
of personal belongings.....washer, dryer, electronics etc. etc. It
wasn't a problem. Just do your homework! Good luck!
Chris
 
Old Apr 4th 2003, 4:32 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 115
canuk_32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Can I bring in my belongings as soon as k-1 is granted?
canuk_32 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2003, 4:37 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 74
Gryphon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bringing stuff from Canada

Inventory everything! I've got a typed list 20 pages long of everything in every box I packed. It took a while to do, but when I go thru Customs after I (hopefully!) get my visa approved 4/29, if I'm asked "m'aam, what's in this box?" I can look at my list and tell them exactly. It will also make things easier when unpacking.

When are you crossing over? And do you know which POE? I'm going thru Port Huron/Sarnia.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
Originally posted by Steven Obal
Does anyone know if the port of entry (land border for me) charges duty on
all your personal belongings. And if they do how much could it be, I have a
lot of stuff including big ticket items like, my car , fridge, stove,
electronics and other furniture. Thanks for any insight.

Steven
Gryphon is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:17 pm
  #5  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 206
imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by canuk_32
Can I bring in my belongings as soon as k-1 is granted?
Your things cannot come to the US before you do. You need to include a copy of your visa with the paperwork, and Customs can hold your items untill you have come through the POE.
imkimmy is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:27 pm
  #6  
Cdn Chick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: bringing stuff from Canada

Thats not entirely true ... There are alot of moving companies that will
move your belongings "in bond" - which means they can go across the border
without being pre-cleared. As long as you go across the border b4 your
stuff gets to its destination, you can provide the moving company with a
copy of your departure record and they can clear it in transit. If you
don't make it to your destination b4 your goods do, your stuff is either put
into a US Customs warehouse where you can go and clear it yourself when you
get there (within 14 days) - or again, alot of moving companies have their
own bonded warehouses where they can keep your stuff until it can be cleared
(again, within a specified period of time).


"imkimmy" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by canuk_32
    > > Can I bring in my belongings as soon as k-1 is granted?
    > Your things cannot come to the US before you do. You need to include a
    > copy of your visa with the paperwork, and Customs can hold your items
    > untill you have come through the POE.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:54 pm
  #7  
Kristin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: bringing stuff from Canada

FWIW, our experience with Corrigan Moving in Oct. 2002 was that they
were stopped at the border (Detroit Ambassador Bridge) because they
tried to enter before my husband (then fiance) had entered. They could
not enter until they had a copy of his I-94. So they parked the moving
truck in Windsor for the weekend, and we entered (via Port Huron) on
Sunday, faxed them a copy of his I-94, and the truck entered without any
problems on Monday.

FYI, we also made a long list of all the boxes and all the stuff in each
one, both for the movers and for the things we drove across ourselves.
When we crossed, the Customs agent (who you see after the Immigration
agent processes the K-1) glanced at the list, stamped it and we were on
our way. That part of the process took maybe 15 seconds. :-) Kristin
 
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:59 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 115
canuk_32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

maybe i wrote my question wrong. I mean, once the interview in montreal is over with and i'm granted a k-1 visa, can i go home pack up and bring my stuff in the US right away? I"m guessing yes but just making sure. I just have a few boxes. (travelling light)
canuk_32 is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2003, 12:07 am
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 206
imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by canuk_32
maybe i wrote my question wrong. I mean, once the interview in montreal is over with and i'm granted a k-1 visa, can i go home pack up and bring my stuff in the US right away? I"m guessing yes but just making sure. I just have a few boxes. (travelling light)
If you wanted to, you could get your visa, and go to the border and cross it then! You have six months to use it and you can use it anytime in that six months.

Kimberly
imkimmy is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2003, 1:11 am
  #10  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,735
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing stuff from Canada

Relating Jim's experience in August 1998. His moving company picked up the shipment and held it in storage along with a copy of his K-1 visa in his passport. They absolutely refused to take the shipment into the US until Jim faxed his copy of the I-94 to them.

Not that I am doubting Cdn Chick's advice. Just that it was not our experience.

Rete

Originally posted by Kristin
FWIW, our experience with Corrigan Moving in Oct. 2002 was that they
were stopped at the border (Detroit Ambassador Bridge) because they
tried to enter before my husband (then fiance) had entered. They could
not enter until they had a copy of his I-94. So they parked the moving
truck in Windsor for the weekend, and we entered (via Port Huron) on
Sunday, faxed them a copy of his I-94, and the truck entered without any
problems on Monday.

FYI, we also made a long list of all the boxes and all the stuff in each
one, both for the movers and for the things we drove across ourselves.
When we crossed, the Customs agent (who you see after the Immigration
agent processes the K-1) glanced at the list, stamped it and we were on
our way. That part of the process took maybe 15 seconds. :-) Kristin
Rete is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.