British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing Pets into the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-pets-into-usa-466611/)

bigz Jul 16th 2007 5:19 pm

Bringing Pets into the USA

hello all,
i have been searching and browsing the the internet for a few hours now, look at information on bringing Pets from the UK to the USA but i really didn't come up with a whole lots of info, does any of you guys have a good website of info on this subject that could help me out.. Or any other input. I'm wanting to bring my dogs across. I wasn't 100% sure where to post this one.
Thanks,
Kurt

scottishlass7 Jul 16th 2007 5:36 pm

Re: Bringing Pets into the USA

Hi,

There is a company in scotland- http://www.pettravelservices.co.uk/, who are very helpful. I am sure there must be something similar in England. Usually the important aspect is deciding whether you want your pet to be able to re-enter the uk without too much trouble-in which case you need to get their pet passport sorted out, but as i say that is important to return to the uk, not to leave it.

Hope this helps-good luck!

kirby Jul 16th 2007 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by bigz (Post 5062694)
hello all,
i have been searching and browsing the the internet for a few hours now, look at information on bringing Pets from the UK to the USA but i really didn't come up with a whole lots of info, does any of you guys have a good website of info on this subject that could help me out.. Or any other input. I'm wanting to bring my dogs across. I wasn't 100% sure where to post this one.
Thanks,
Kurt

Hi Kurt, We brought our dog last year.She just needed a rabies vaccanation done one month before you fly and we needed to get a letter of good health from the vet 24hrs before you fly.Thats for the airline, just check with who tour flying with.We flew with american airlines ,she flew with us on the same flight for the bargain price of$110.00. Check with your vet but that is all we did. Hope this helps and welcome to BE.

kirby Jul 16th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by kirby (Post 5062990)
Hi Kurt, We brought our dog last year.She just needed a rabies vaccanation done one month before you fly and we needed to get a letter of good health from the vet 24hrs before you fly.Thats for the airline, just check with who tour flying with.We flew with american airlines ,she flew with us on the same flight for the bargain price of$110.00. Check with your vet but that is all we did. Hope this helps and welcome to BE.

Thought you were new:o oh well!

TruBrit Jul 16th 2007 6:08 pm

hello all,
Thanks,
Kurt

this is the link you need ~

www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

edit...i'm sure it tells you on there how to bring them from the uk also.

bigz Jul 16th 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5063029)
this is the link you need ~

www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

edit...i'm sure it tells you on there how to bring them from the uk also.

i have checked that website in and out and it didn't really tell me a whole lot on how i would do this, im already in the USA and wanted me Dogs here with me.
Thanks
Kurt

bigz Jul 16th 2007 10:42 pm

Wanna thank you all for the input and links i will take a look at them and see what i can come up with.
Kurt

bigz Jul 16th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by kirby (Post 5062990)

thank you for your input, i have been here for a while but totally forgot i had a account here till a while ago, then with work and everything else that is going didn't really get a chance to check out the forums.
Thanks,
Kurt

Jerseygirl Jul 16th 2007 10:45 pm

hello all,
Thanks,
Kurt

Look at the US Dept of Agriculture's website. It should tell you what is required before bringing your dogs to the US.

We departed from Manchester...there is a animal handling company located at or near the airport. I presume the same goes for Gatwick and Heathrow. You will be able to find their info if you Google.

TruBrit Jul 16th 2007 10:55 pm

hello all,
Thanks,
Kurt

we used ladyhaye kennels at Gatwick...here's their link ....

http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/

jumping doris Jul 17th 2007 4:14 pm

We flew our dog and cat from Manchester to Pittsburgh via Atlanta.
We used a company called Pets on the Move who were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

http://www.petsonthemove.co.uk/

We started the whole thing off 7 months before we moved so that they arrived here with European pet passports. Our UK vet knew all about it and arranged all the titre tests and paperwork and fit to fly certificates.

As long as we keep their vaccine up to date and have it documented in the pet passport they can return to the UK without going into quarantine.
Our vets here have been very keen to learn about the scheme and since we have been here have used it to send two dogs to the UK.

They didn't need anything to come into PA but they had to have a rabies shot within 30 days of arriving had they not already had it done in the UK.

Before we left the UK I rang the state dept in PA who are responsible for animals and agriculture and they were really helpful, too.

Bob Jul 17th 2007 4:49 pm

A lot of it will also depend on where in the US you want to fly into, and when, because a lot of airlines won't do it during the summer months for many airports because of the heat while sitting on the runways etc.

Jerseygirl Jul 17th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5068341)
A lot of it will also depend on where in the US you want to fly into, and when, because a lot of airlines won't do it during the summer months for many airports because of the heat while sitting on the runways etc.

Virgin are picky on the breed they'll carry...they will not transport snub nosed dogs.

jumping doris Jul 17th 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5068341)

Our pets were flown at the end of September. They arrived in Atlanta late evening when it would be cooler and we had arranged for them to be boarded at the airport overnight so they could come out of their crates, be fed and watered and the dog could be exercised.

They flew to Pittsburgh very early the following morning to avoid the heat.
They were fine but I wouldn't want to do it again.

bigz Jul 18th 2007 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for everyone input ill take a look at the sites again and read everything once again and see what i can do on bring my dogs out here with me.. ill keep everyone updated and thanks once again this is a great forum with great people
Thanks,
Kurt