Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing parents over from the UK

Bringing parents over from the UK

Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing parents over from the UK

Originally Posted by nun
The premium quotes I got were for a silver plan in MA for 2 people over 65. The monthly premium after subsidy (assuming $35k annual income) ranged from $200 to $800, so a mid range plan at $500/month with a $9k family out of pocket max could cost $15k if you use a lot of care.
OK so a little less that my pessimistic/ conservative estimate, but the OP should still be aware that the aggregate cost is going to run well into six figures.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:49 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
. The monthly premium after subsidy (assuming $35k annual income) ranged from $200 to $800, so a mid range plan at $500/month with a $9k family out of pocket max could cost $15k if you use a lot of care.
15k is a big chunk of change out of a 35k income. Has to be line item number 1 on the budget...
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not getting a strong vibe that they want to come. The US is not a place that you wait until you get older to go to.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm not getting a strong vibe that they want to come. The US is not a place that you wait until you get older to go to.
Maybe the OP could pay Mrs Hungry to wheel them over?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread a few weeks back that was about a US woman (living with her UK husband in the UK) wanting to move back and concerned about health insurance for him. I believe he was retired and diabetic and she was concerned until her employment health insurance kicked in. She was struggling finding something to fit him because he was older and it was assumed through the medical exchanges the he would be on medicare so health insurance wasn't addressed for him. Not sure what the outcome was concerning this, but could be a consideration should these parents make it across. It may be quite difficult to find insurance for them.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dolega
I have been a US citizen for a couple years. I would to like to bring my parents to the US under a Green Card (under immediate relatives status) however neither are prepared to move from the UK at this stage.
I'm surprised no one has commented on this part of your post.

No harm in researching immigration possibilities, however, it's all moot if the main protagonists aren't interested.

IMHO, it may be more practical to look at contingency plans for how you & your family members would deal with caring for elderly/ailing parents *in the UK*, if & when it becomes necessary.

(I've been in this situation - albeit not in the US - & uprooting the parent(s) was never a serious scenario. & even well thought-out contingency plans can go wildly wrong. I've made more Transatlantic dashes than I care to count)

Hope I don't sound too harsh. I do think that your research is a good start.

S
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm surprised no one has commented on this part of your post. ...
I'm surprised that you didn't notice that Sally did comment on it. ..... So did I, kind of.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK so a little less that my pessimistic/ conservative estimate, but the OP should still be aware that the aggregate cost is going to run well into six figures.
Unfortunately your figures may possibly be closer to the truth when you add in nursing home care that is an assisted care facility. Currently about 90% of the population ends up in a nursing home during end of life but usually you can't get coverage for an assisted care facility. From my understanding, although many supplemental plans indicate 6 months - 1 year of nursing home care, that coverage is only for a certified skilled nursing facility (SNF) and not an assisted care facility.

If you have something like Alzheimer's, you could possibly be in an assisted care facility for years.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 16th 2014 at 3:41 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm surprised that you didn't notice that Sally did comment on it. ..... So did I, kind of.
Yeah. I think Sally & I were writing/posting around the same time . & I missed your comment on it. Mea Culpa.

S
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The US is not a place that you wait until you get older to go to.
This surprises me. My local liquor store, Ye Olde Liquors, does a 10% senior discount on Tuesdays.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
15k is a big chunk of change out of a 35k income. Has to be line item number 1 on the budget...
The $15k is a max yearly amount and includes $9k of out of pocket charges. If you are healthy and don't use any healthcare your cost purely in premiums would be closer to $6k. If you have sufficient capital to buy a house you can greatly reduce your need for income and thus qualify for a big subsidy to help pay your premiums.

Last edited by nun; Oct 16th 2014 at 4:25 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking ahead, well years ahead, who knows.

You could argue that the US has more cash flowing around its 'system' than the UK does, so if it was more efficiently spent would be better able to cope with an ageing population. The numbers do not add up USA or UK.

If you are talking about long term care then yes its good to have lots of money, but them most people do not, UK or US. Medicare provides limited cover anyway and UK seems a lottery.

Buying in to Obamacare obviously is dependent on individual circumstances, could be anything from nothing to several thousand dollars.

Often it ends up going with your gut but if they do not want to move all is moot.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nun
The $15k is a max yearly amount and includes $9k of out of pocket charges. If you are healthy and don't use any healthcare your cost purely in premiums would be closer to $6k. If you have sufficient capital to buy a house you can greatly reduce your need for income and thus qualify for a big subsidy to help pay your premiums.
That seems to be State dependent, Colorado Exchange does produces Premiums for 65 plus, others not so it seems.

The whole thing seems full of unintentional presumably consequences. A lot of it seems still not to have shaken out.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Medicare provides limited cover anyway and UK seems a lottery.
Depends what you mean by Medicare. If a person has a Medicare Advantage plan, they will usually have very comprehensive cover (although there are thousands of plans, all different, so hard to generalize.) if a person has traditional Medicare, they have excellent and completely comprehensive cover - if they have Part A, Part B, an appropriate Part D plan, and the best supplemental plan available.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

I was talking about long term care, where you just go ga ga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.