Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing own meds to the USA

Bringing own meds to the USA

Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:58 am
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice
Default Bringing own meds to the USA

Went to the Chemists yesterday for a repeat prescription and mentioned I was going to Montana in June. He then told me that Tramadol is now a 'controlled drug' and that I might have a problem if found with it in my possession.

I will have a fair amount (plus others non-controlled - eg a statin) as I am going for over a month but under what circumstances would I find I was searched or whatever - it hasn't ever happened before and I usually take what I need for the 17 hour journey in my pocket, the rest in my hold luggage.

I intend to take one half of the prescription which has my details on it, but what else should I do?

Many thanks, SC
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing own meds to the USA

Medication

Rule of thumb: When you go abroad, take the medicines you will need, no more, no less.

Narcotics and certain other drugs with a high potential for abuse - Rohypnol, GHB and Fen-Phen, to name a few - may not be brought into the United States, and there are severe penalties for trying to do so. If you need medicines that contain potentially addictive drugs or narcotics (e.g., some cough medicines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, antidepressants or stimulants), do the following:

Declare all drugs, medicinals, and similar products to the appropriate CBP official;
Carry such substances in their original containers;
Carry only the quantity of such substances that a person with that condition (e.g., chronic pain) would normally carry for his/her personal use; and
Carry a prescription or written statement from your physician that the substances are being used under a doctor's supervision and that they are necessary for your physical well being while traveling.

Prohibited and Restricted Items | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:35 am
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice

Thanks for the link (John Smith?)

However would one 'voluntarily' approach a Border/Immigration Officer and bother him by telling him you had a prescription for the pills you were taking? I would think not - but my previous question still stands...

If for some reason I was asked to empty my pockets and they found Tramadol Lanzoprazole and Statin pill(s) neatly wrapped, they would not know what they were and I could be in do-dah for a while until they reunited me with luggage etc...despite having the prescription in my wallet. Could lead to a delay on a tight schedule.

Just need an answer to that situation really......
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The advice you have already been given stands with some extra points...

Do NOT, under any circumstances, carry drugs that are not in their original containers. Loose pills in your pocket is very likely to raise red flags and could severely delay your entry, or even see you on the next plane home!

Make sure you get a letter from your GP, so you can prove (as best as possible), that you need these meds.

If calculating how much to bring, make sure you account for delays in travel. In other words, if you're coming for a month, don't just bring 30 days' supply, bring at least 35-40. Flights can be missed or delayed and other factors can mean you are forced to extend your trip by a day or two.

Finally, you are not 'bothering' a CBP official, but I wouldn't volunteer any information you're not asked for. The golden rule for anyone traveling for any reason is to answer any questions honestly, but just give the answer and don't elaborate.

It's amazing how many people don't follow this advice and manage to talk their way into trouble!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with most of the advice you have received so far, with the addition that you should take all your medication in your hand luggage, never check essential meds in the hold. Check out the paragraph on medication at the CBP Website, which gives you the official advice on what to do.

Controlled drugs in the US are assigned to one of five categories - Schedule I (heroin) through to V. Tramadol is 'Schedule IV'. This is the same category as drugs such as benzodiazepines (eg Valium). It is 'Schedule IV' as it is seen as a lower risk of diversion and abuse than the drugs in the higher categories, however it is still 'Scheduled', and so I think it falls into the CBP category of 'potentially addictive drugs', and by the letter of the law, should be declared. If you are interested in seeing how it compares to the scheduling of other drugs, there is a good summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act. It is perfectly legal to possess the drug, and you should not have any problem should you have it in the original container plus doctor's letter/prescription showing you have a legitimate medical need.

Speaking as someone who once inadvertently brought a 'Schedule I' drug into the USA (available OTC in the UK), it is very easy to fall foul of the US drug laws due to the differing statuses of prescription medication in the US vs UK/EU. I would advise anyone with an essential medication to always Google the legal status of that medication at your destination.

In my case, I sailed through Customs without declaring anything as I had bought mine at Boots at the airport, and it was only when I got home that I idly wondered why I couldn't get pholcodine linctus in the US and discovered that in America it was classified the same as heroin.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Tramadol is a commonly prescribed painkiller. Bring them in the labelled bottle and have a copy of your prescription on hand. I don't think any immigration official is going to be bothered about this.. These types of painkillers can be addictive and in order to prevent mis-use of them they have been reclassified. Doctors now have to hand write a presription for them and they cannot be automatically refilled.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Medication

Rule of thumb: When you go abroad, take the medicines you will need, no more, no less.

Narcotics and certain other drugs with a high potential for abuse - Rohypnol, GHB and Fen-Phen, to name a few - may not be brought into the United States, and there are severe penalties for trying to do so. If you need medicines that contain potentially addictive drugs or narcotics (e.g., some cough medicines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, antidepressants or stimulants), do the following:

Declare all drugs, medicinals, and similar products to the appropriate CBP official;
Carry such substances in their original containers;
Carry only the quantity of such substances that a person with that condition (e.g., chronic pain) would normally carry for his/her personal use; and
Carry a prescription or written statement from your physician that the substances are being used under a doctor's supervision and that they are necessary for your physical well being while traveling.

Prohibited and Restricted Items | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Carry it in your hand luggage and declare it.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

I always used to carry my repeat prescription with my meds in my carry on and a copy with any in the checked luggage.