Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing my dog to the usa

Bringing my dog to the usa

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my dog to the usa

Originally Posted by silviamka

If you think your dog might get upset give him a light sedative for the flight.
There's not a consensus on drugging a pet during flight, and some vets recommend against it because it can interfere with normal physiological functions such as breathing and thermoregulation. Also, it is difficult to know the correct doseag because drugs act differently at the air pressures in flight.

My dog is a very nervous traveler (pants and drools all over the car even during long drives, drools on the ferry, pants and paces on the train). She has flown transAtlantic twice without sedatives and was fine.

I suggest you consult a trustworthy vet on this issue.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:56 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Well done warkitty ...I knew some one would get it!!!!!!

I thought you said your dooog does not bite It's hubbies favourite line from that movie.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
I thought you said your dooog does not bite It's hubbies favourite line from that movie.
Its not my doog....
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't ever recommend sedating a dog or cat for a plane journey. Research has shown that with the differential air pressures, the drugs can become magnified in the dogs blood stream. Most animals don't like it but they soon settle down for the duration of the flight with no ill effects. When I flew my Border collie from Belfast to Birmingham for Crufts, she was never sedated and always just lay in her crate with no nonsense.

What you can try however is something relaxing in the homeopathic range.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:01 am
Just Joined

warkitty is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit worried about how he's gonna react to everyone in the airport, I'm sure he's gonna freak out and bark at everyone, it's bad enough just walking him down the street he has a tendency to lunge at people now and then.
He is a big softy really it's just because of his size he can be a bit scary to other people.

I remember when he was about 10 mths old a jehovahs witness came to the door i opened it and he ran out and grabbed her handbag in his mouth, there was the two of them playing tug of war with her bag i couldn't stop laughing.
That wasn't the end of it when we finally got her bag out of his mouth she opened her car door to get in and the dog jumped in and sat on the front seat!
Needless to say they haven't been back since.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

What a brill way to get rid of jehovahs witnesses!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Well i called pettransporter.com and asked them for a quote for taking my dog over the us, they wanted a $20 fee and the quote would be emailed to me in 10 days. I have to buy the giant crate myself don't know how much that is yet.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:14 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warkitty
Well i called pettransporter.com and asked them for a quote for taking my dog over the us, they wanted a $20 fee and the quote would be emailed to me in 10 days. I have to buy the giant crate myself don't know how much that is yet.
They charge you for a quote?! That's outrageous! I'd be looking for someone else if it was me.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Well i finally got the quote in my emails for the cost of flying my dog from London to Atlanta....
They wanted $4,707 ............. won't be using them!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Well i finally got the quote in my emails for the cost of flying my dog from London to Atlanta....
Do Virgin Atlantic fly to Atlanta? I flew my dog with them just over a year ago from London to LAX and the cost was $1,400.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You're kidding, right? We flew our dog on BA from Gatwick to Seattle and it cost 500 pounds and I thought that was bad, actually I know that was bad, but we wanted her on a direct flight and we also boarded her through a kennel and they took her to the airport, etc and it still didn't come up to the amount you posted. The kennel we used was Lady Haye. They were really good. But, in all honesty you can set it up through whatever airline you are going to use and as long as you have the appropriate paperwork (really simple) you're fine and it should be fairly cheap as well.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:51 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Do Virgin Atlantic fly to Atlanta? I flew my dog with them just over a year ago from London to LAX and the cost was $1,400.
That's not far off what I was quoted to fly a horse from Boston to London! Seriously.

I flew two cats and a dog London to Spain for 100 Euros and two cats Spain to Boston for 150 Euros (BA and AF respectively)
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit worried about how he's gonna react to everyone in the airport, I'm sure he's gonna freak out and bark at everyone, it's bad enough just walking him down the street he has a tendency to lunge at people now and then.
He is a big softy really it's just because of his size he can be a bit scary to other people.

I remember when he was about 10 mths old a jehovahs witness came to the door i opened it and he ran out and grabbed her handbag in his mouth, there was the two of them playing tug of war with her bag i couldn't stop laughing.
That wasn't the end of it when we finally got her bag out of his mouth she opened her car door to get in and the dog jumped in and sat on the front seat!
Needless to say they haven't been back since.
must borrow your dog. Seriously though about the jumping up have you ever watched the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic. He explains about dog psychology and how you should be the leader of the pack. Apparently when dogs miss behave its often because their not in a calm state of mind and by taking positive action yourself to become the pack leader alot of problems disappear. Try and watch it, it has clarified many things for me as a dog owner.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:57 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
must borrow your dog. Seriously though about the jumping up have you ever watched the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic. He explains about dog psychology and how you should be the leader of the pack. Apparently when dogs miss behave its often because their not in a calm state of mind and by taking positive action yourself to become the pack leader alot of problems disappear. Try and watch it, it has clarified many things for me as a dog owner.
I love that show! I've been working on his techniques all summer, and I've just about got my dog to calmly walk past people without wanting to lunge at them. Still teaching her how to be calm and friendly to the neighborhood dogs, but I'll get there. I'm obviously not as good as the Dog Whisperer himself, otherwise she would be changed in a day. Maybe if the rest of my family paid attention to how they treat her I would've succeeded weeks ago.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I love that show! I've been working on his techniques all summer, and I've just about got my dog to calmly walk past people without wanting to lunge at them. Still teaching her how to be calm and friendly to the neighborhood dogs, but I'll get there. I'm obviously not as good as the Dog Whisperer himself, otherwise she would be changed in a day. Maybe if the rest of my family paid attention to how they treat her I would've succeeded weeks ago.
He is brill, and I feel I understand my dog so much more now. I use his technique of walking her close to me and its completely changed how she walks, she is a small to medium size dog but very strong and before she would pull me all over the place...very determined little lady when she wants! Now we have a fairly productive walk. Do you find yourself making those noises he does too!! He tried to help Oprah Winfreys spoiled Spaniels too he kind of got there but Oprah kept getting all Wimpey on him saying 'she's my daughter!' pretty pathetic. (says me when I call my dog my baby!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.