Reload this Page >

Bringing my dog to the usa

Bringing my dog to the usa

Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

warkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing my dog to the usa

Hi

I want to bring my dog with me when i move to the states, does anyone know how easy this is and what do i have to do to get him there?

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my dog to the usa

Originally Posted by warkitty
Hi

I want to bring my dog with me when i move to the states, does anyone know how easy this is and what do i have to do to get him there?
Thanks
Does you doog bite???
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

loads of posts, do a search
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:38 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

Take a look at this site: http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/2bringyourpet.htm
It has a lot of information plus a lot of links. HTH
Old Jul 21st 2005, 1:56 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ray
Does you doog bite???
What exactly is a doog? And can you get rabies from it if it does bite?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Does you doog bite???

It's not my doog..

Thanks for the link
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It's not my doog..
Thanks for the link
Well done warkitty ...I knew some one would get it!!!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Well done warkitty ...I knew some one would get it!!!!!!
You've dropped your trick doogy pooh...........
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

Where are you actually flying from? That will determine whether or not you need a rabies vaccination. If you are flying from the UK and the dog has not been out of the UK within the past 6 months then you can enter the states with only a health certificate required. However if you wanted to travel back to the UK the dog would face quarantine at port of entry for 6 months from the arrival date. You would be better to get your dog rabies vaccinated and get a PETS passport which will enable free travel between the UK and States and other European cities. Once rabies vaccinated a blood test is done 1 month later to see if the antibody level to the rabies is high enough. If its not the dog has to be vaccinated again. A further blood test is done 6 months later and if this shows an acceptable level of antibody with no rabies disease present, the dog will get a PETS passport.

I've done a lot of research into this as I am also flying my pup to the states from the UK and I worked at a vets previously so all this information is correct at this time but be aware that you should contact your local environmental health board to arrange a veterinary cert.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:50 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Here are some links

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=pet+passport

I brought my dog over in 2003 and my cat in 2004. They are both doing fine and enjoying life in the US. Good luck.

Maggie
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info

I'll be flying him out from the uk.
He's never been out of the country. I was just wondering how i was going to sort the flight out and everything else that has to be done, i didn't really know where to start, i've seen some companies on the net that do everything for you right down to delivering your pet to your new address. I might give them a call could be pricey though!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Laska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura aboutLaska has a spectacular aura about

Hi there,

Maybe its personal preference but I prefer to fly with my animal and to check in and meet them on the other end. My last dog that I had flew regularly over to Crufts for obedience/agility championships and I never would have let her fly alone for fear of her getting lost.

I'm using American Airlines. On their site they have the specific regulations for flying an animal and I have found them to be very helpful. It is costing $100 and I have my own crate for my puppy so its very reasonably priced. Definitely check with the airline you are flying with as to their exact rules as airlines do differ in their requirements.

By the way what breed of dog have you?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi
He's a Rottweiler and he'll be 6 yrs old when the time comes to go. Yeah i want to be with him too i'd sit right next to him in the hold if i could, hm might have to get myself a crate
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

You sound way too like me with your dog! If I had my way I would ask that my dog sit in business class with me for the duration of the trip
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

silviamka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
You need a crate that is large enough for your dog to stand up and turn around. Call airlines and ask for a quote. You need to know the measurements of the crate and the weight of your dog and crate combined.

You can decide whether to fly your dog independently or with you in the same plane. I would prefer having the dog in the same plane, but because you have a big dog it might become quite expensive and you might want to choose the cheapest provider instead.

If you think your dog might get upset give him a light sedative for the flight.

I have flown my dog across the ocean twice, and she didn't like it (obviously) but got over it very quickly. I would never do it for a vacation, but its not bad if its just once.

I flew my dog from Germany, and all I needed was a certificate stating her health and that she is current on her rabies vaccination. The certificate is only valid for a specified time frame (can't remember, something like 30 days or so) keep that in mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.