Reload this Page >

Bringing money into the US from UK

Bringing money into the US from UK

Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

duncs3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing money into the US from UK

Hi all,

Just joined this forum as I have recently (November) relocated to Long Island, NY from Surrey in the UK

I'm looking at buying a car here by using cash from my UK account (basically the proceeds from the sale of my car when leaving the UK) and before doing this I wondered if this would cause any issues, specifically with regard to taxation here when it comes to doing my tax return here in the US? I've already transferred some funds between my UK and US account but thats been only a few grand and I'm talking about $20-30k to come into my US account.

PS I used International Autosource for my initial car lease (but need two cars) and I searched for them on this site before signing up - have to say the service was good and the lease was competitive.

Dunc
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing money into the US from UK

Welcome to BE

Have a search, plenty of threads on the subject, and in the wiki too. Most would recommend using XE.com
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duncs3
I'm looking at buying a car here by using cash from my UK account (basically the proceeds from the sale of my car when leaving the UK) and before doing this I wondered if this would cause any issues, specifically with regard to taxation here when it comes to doing my tax return here in the US?
The money is not income, and there is no US tax on it just for bringing into the country.
Amounts $10K+ need to be declared to Customs, but if you have it wired, the bank or agency will do that.
They're raving on about XE.com around here as superior in all ways to banks etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The money is not income, and there is no US tax on it just for bringing into the country.
Amounts $10K+ need to be declared to Customs, but if you have it wired, the bank or agency will do that.
They're raving on about XE.com around here as superior in all ways to banks etc.
Absolutely, on all points. Wired or EFT'd come to that. This seems to be the most oft asked question lately, seem to be answering it once a week on average.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

duncs3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - managed to speak with the tax consultation (provided with the move) and they confirmed what you guys said

thanks again!