Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing money into US?

Bringing money into US?

Old Nov 12th 2002, 6:12 pm
  #1  
Lvsaint76
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bringing money into US?

Anyone have any experience of bringing a large amount of money into the country
without it being taxed or taxed as little as possible? I was thinking of
dispersing it and wiring it in smaller amounts. Thanks.
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 6:40 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 231
Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

How much were you thining of bringing in? there are rules where you have to declare over a certain amount, I know someone here can help you and knows the rules. This has been discussed before.
Aliluv is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 6:43 pm
  #3  
Gili
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

I know you can bring up to $10,000. I try to bring in less, though... like
$9,500. When someone wants to deposit money into my bank account from
overseas, I tell them to make it around $9,500.

Hope this helps.


"LVSaint76" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any experience of bringing a large amount of money into the
country
    > without it being taxed or taxed as little as possible? I was thinking of
    > dispersing it and wiring it in smaller amounts. Thanks.
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 7:04 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 201
katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

Originally posted by Gili
I know you can bring up to $10,000. I try to bring in less, though... like
$9,500. When someone wants to deposit money into my bank account from
overseas, I tell them to make it around $9,500.

Hi!!!
What do you mean by bring? You mean physically on your person, or transferred from a bank? I'm looking to take a couple of thousand, but obviously I don't want to carry all of that on me. What do you suggest? My fiance doesn't have a bank account. I've used Western Union a couple of times, but can I send it, then pick it up in the US?
Kate. xxxxxx
katesuiter is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 7:18 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,228
DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

Have you fiance open a bank account to avoid the crazy WU charges.

No offense, but why no account?

Originally posted by katesuiter
Hi!!!
What do you mean by bring? You mean physically on your person, or transferred from a bank? I'm looking to take a couple of thousand, but obviously I don't want to carry all of that on me. What do you suggest? My fiance doesn't have a bank account. I've used Western Union a couple of times, but can I send it, then pick it up in the US?
Kate. xxxxxx
DCMark is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 7:38 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 201
katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

Originally posted by DCMark
Have you fiance open a bank account to avoid the crazy WU charges.

No offense, but why no account?
Long story!!! LOL. Think of a squirrel, and very strong beliefs about certain things!! Sigh!
Kate. xxxxx
katesuiter is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 7:51 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 536
abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

For what its worth, this is an issue I discussed with my bank as I needed to transfer sufficient money over to the USA to buy a house. Their advice was that transfers over $10,000 from a UK account to a US bank account were perfectly ok and that no taxation issues arise provided the transferor was a UK resident at the time of the transfer and had been subject to UK tax.

I believe transactions of this scale are reported and the $10,000 rule applies to money brought into the USA by way of cash or some other financial instrument that might otherwise escape detection. There is a "money laundering" issue here as well as taxation of course.
abba48uk is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 8:27 pm
  #8  
Mrtrave;L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

katesuiter wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by Gili
    > > I know you can bring up to $10,000. I try to bring in less,
    > > though... like
    > > $9,500. When someone wants to deposit money into my bank account from
    > > overseas, I tell them to make it around $9,500.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Hi!!!
    > What do you mean by bring? You mean physically on your person, or
    > transferred from a bank? I'm looking to take a couple of thousand, but
    > obviously I don't want to carry all of that on me. What do you suggest?
    > My fiance doesn't have a bank account. I've used Western Union a couple
    > of times, but can I send it, then pick it up in the US?
    > Kate. xxxxxx

Bring travelers checks or a certified check or western union.
What's with the no bank thing?
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 8:28 pm
  #9  
Mrtrave;L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

Why do they need someone that can help them.
There are NO taxes due on importing money.

Aliluv wrote:
    >
    > How much were you thining of bringing in? there are rules where you have
    > to declare over a certain amount, I know someone here can help you and
    > knows the rules. This has been discussed before.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 8:49 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 231
Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I meant that someone here would know the exact amount you could bring in w/o declaring it and the amount you would need to declare.

I see it's 10,000 and up you need to declare. This group is very informative. That's all I meant I certainly wasn't trying to imply you had to pay to bring in $.
Aliluv is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:15 pm
  #11  
Pagan Sex God
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Living in Oblivion
Posts: 3,668
Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

Originally posted by Mrtrave;L
Why do they need someone that can help them.
There are NO taxes due on importing money.

Aliluv wrote:
[/url][/q1]
You can bring as much money into the USA as you like the government has no problem with you bringing money in. The thing is (because of good old drug barons and organised crime) anything over $10,000 has to be declared to customs - if you transfer to your bank (as long as you pre warn them) they will do it for you.

The other thing (and I am not 100% on this as it is not clear on some bank web sites) but you only pay normal tax on the amount of money in bank account (savings and stuff) not on the lump sum being put into your account - example you only pay tax on the money sat in your account not the sum transfered into your account (in other words you don't (shouldn't) pay tax twice on the same amount of money)

Patrick
Patrick is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:17 pm
  #12  
Gili
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

I would really recommend opening a bank account. You don't have to keep
your life savings in it. Just open one up with $100, have money wired into
it and then withdraw it.

"katesuiter" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by DCMark
    > > Have you fiance open a bank account to avoid the crazy WU charges.
    > >
    > > No offense, but why no account?
    > Long story!!! LOL. Think of a squirrel, and very strong beliefs about
    > certain things!! Sigh!
    > Kate. xxxxx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:26 pm
  #13  
Scarlett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

    >Anyone have any experience of bringing a large amount of money into the
    >country
    >without it being taxed

LOL i WISH!!!!!

best of luck to you with your wads of dosh )

regards
-=-
scarlett
 
Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:44 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 536
abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

To help clarify the last post (sounds a bit final...lol), you are taxed on any iinterest received on bank account deposits, but ONLY by one Tax authority.......either UK or USA in my case. As patrick says, there is no double taxation. Only one of the greedy buggers gets at you for tax.
abba48uk is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2002, 9:46 pm
  #15  
Mrtrave;L
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Bringing money into US?

abba48uk wrote:
    >
    > For what its worth, this is an issue I discussed with my bank as I
    > needed to transfer sufficient money over to the USA to buy a house.
    > Their advice was that transfers over $10,000 from a UK account to a US
    > bank account were perfectly ok and that no taxation issues arise
    > provided the transferor was a UK resident at the time of the transfer
    > and had been subject to UK tax.
    >
    > I believe transactions of this scale are reported and the $10,000 rule
    > applies to money brought into the USA by way of cash or some other
    > financial instrument that might otherwise escape detection. There is a
    > "money laundering" issue here as well as taxation of course.

What "taxation issue"?
There is no tax on bringing money into the US.
 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.