Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing Large Breed Dog to Smaller Airports in the USA

Bringing Large Breed Dog to Smaller Airports in the USA

Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Default Bringing Large Breed Dog to Smaller Airports in the USA

We have been looking into trying to bring our English Mastiff to the states with us when my husband finally gets his Visa Approved.

I've checked with BA who told me that they could only fly us with our dog to their main hub airports. (JFK Sandiego etc) And that they do not do connecting flights with partner airlines.

We need to get to Erie Pennsylvania (1 hr drive from home) preferably... or Pittsburgh(2 hours from home).. I'd even settle for cleveland ohio(3 hours) or Buffalo new york.(3 Hours) However any other airports are really too far away for my family to drive to pick us up w/dog and luggage.

We considered using air cargo companies. We called Air pets for example and were quoted £2,300 plus £460 to collect Toby and take him to the Airport. In this quote he would be collected from Greater Manchester, driven to Gatwick and then flown to Pittsburgh Using USAir. This, to me, seems quite high.

The other problem we have is that toby is large. He weighs over 11 Stone (Nearly 160 pounds and growing!!) and this is over the 100lb weight limit that most if not all airlines for a dog AND it's crate to be charged as excess baggage.

Does anyone have any suggestions or stories of where they flew, what airline and if they flew with their pet, what the cost was, and what type of pet they had.

We will not give up our dog that is out of question. He was a rescue dog to begin with and we have no intention of abandoning him again. However, we are not rich and really cannot afford £3,000 just for a flight for him so any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Holly
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bringing Large Breed Dog to Smaller Airports in the USA

BA was the cheapest I found when I flew my Jack Russell over. I found the companies that flew animals over were far too expensive too. Check with DFRA in Stafford about regulations, but my pooch did not need a rabies vaccine till after he arrived in the USA. We had 30 days to get him jabbed. You will need a fitness totravel certificate from an UK vet before the dog is allowed on a plane, though despite having a mild heart murmur, my dog was fit to go.

Good luck with flying his nibs over.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
BA was the cheapest I found when I flew my Jack Russell over.
Good luck with flying his nibs over.
Thanks for the wishes of luck because I think we may need it..
Just got off the phone with USAir and they told me to call independent carriers because they subcontract out their cargo. Seems odd to me that they would have a dedicated cargo website if when called I'm told to go elsewhere...

Also tried a firm he recommended who are gettin back to me with a quote. Either i can pick him up from philadelphia which is a 9+hour drive for me or he can fly Manchester to atlanta with a 5 hour layover and then fly up to pittsburgh. That is WAAYYYYY too much time to be in a cage in my opinion. All of that and still no price from them.

As for BA.. which Airports did you fly from and then to? Like I mentioned before I was told they do not fly to pittsburgh etc. which means I'd have to again go to philadelphia or to new york to pick him up.

Well I lie my father would as we are sending him over a week or 2 early so we can finalize thing and pack up here.

Either way we are still searching for a financially feasible yet not too stressful way to get our baby home with us.

I'll keep you posted,
Holly
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Why not fly into Newark, New Jersey? I don't know where you are exactly but Philadelphia is about 68 miles away, and Interstate Route 78 goes directly Westbound from the airport with I-95 going Southbound. Take a look at a good map of NJ and PA!

It's a main hub international airport with Immigration and Customs; British Airways has three flights a day from Heathrow and Virgin has 2 or 3 flights a day too.

I do voluntary work there and people are always transporting their pets to and from this airport.

Also check out Continental Airlines - it's the biggest airline at Newark and they fly directly each day to Newark from Manchester, Birmingham UK - twice a day, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Gatwick.

Their website is http://www.continental.com

Ha ha ha! Just went to the website, did a search on 'pets' and discovered that they are awarded airmiles if you join their 'One Pass' scheme (it never expires) ie. you can get airmiles added to your account for transporting them!

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 13th 2004 at 12:49 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

I've thought about Newark as well its just such a long journey from where I live which is the Very oppostie corner from Philadelphia. So again we are looking at a 9 hour drive. It seems that we may have to fly with him and just rent a minivan rent a hotel for the night then get up early and drive the 9 hours home. :scared:
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanandHolly
I've thought about Newark as well its just such a long journey from where I live which is the Very oppostie corner from Philadelphia. So again we are looking at a 9 hour drive. It seems that we may have to fly with him and just rent a minivan rent a hotel for the night then get up early and drive the 9 hours home. :scared:
Look what I found:

http://pet-friendly-hotels.calle.com...th-hotels.html

I can also give ideas on boarding kennels in this district too. I'll look again later, have to go out now.

Good Luck
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:21 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

We considered using air cargo companies. We called Air pets for example and were quoted £2,300 plus £460 to collect Toby and take him to the Airport. In this quote he would be collected from Greater Manchester, driven to Gatwick and then flown to Pittsburgh Using USAir. This, to me, seems quite high.

The other problem we have is that toby is large. He weighs over 11 Stone (Nearly 160 pounds and growing!!) and this is over the 100lb weight limit that most if not all airlines for a dog AND it's crate to be charged as excess baggage.
As another parent of a large dog -- our Akita is 110lb -- I feel your pain!

One thing you might want to do is check with other Mastiff owners, if you haven't already. I found a message board which seems pretty active. Although in English, it seems that it's a website based in Norway, so perhaps there are other European Mastiff owners there who have travelled with their dogs to the States.

I agree that if you decide to drive a long distance from the airport, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a hotel room and split the trip into two days. Just be sure the hotel owners are VERY aware of the size of your dog and are ok with that -- get it in writing if you can. I've had at least one experience where they said it was ok to bring Andie, but then resisted letting her stay at the hotel once they saw her. I think for many people, hearing how much a dog weighs doesn't register until they actually see it for themselves.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

BA will fly 1 pet per journey they fly. Best to book up early, cost me about 200 quid for a Jack Russell, but obviously the bigger the dog the bigger the space he will occupy. I flew Heathrow to DC. Found it was a great service, they came round before the flight took off & assureed me he was packed safely and was as settled as was possible.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
BA will fly 1 pet per journey they fly. Best to book up early, cost me about 200 quid for a Jack Russell, but obviously the bigger the dog the bigger the space he will occupy. I flew Heathrow to DC. Found it was a great service, they came round before the flight took off & assureed me he was packed safely and was as settled as was possible.
I was hoping to ask BA but I have 3 dogs to fly out, guess gonna have to think again
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

I just got off the phone w/BA again and they said that if you are flying with your dog it costs £120 per dog plus a $150 handling fee (Don't know why one is in pounds the other dollars and neither did they ) I kept pressing the point that he is large and weighs a good deal but they said it did not matter so we shall have to see when it comes time to officially book if that still is the case.

Additional info on BA They require an up to date health certificate and you have to supply your own crate which has to meet the size specifications (basically the animal has to have enough room and places for water etc)

When I spoke to my vet they said they would not issue the health certificate until the dog had its rabies and then waited 30 days. After 30 days they would issue the certificate. Cost being £38 which doesn't bother me at all and I already scheduled it so timing will work out w/out any problems.

As for the crate my vet told me to speak to SkyMaster Air Cargo out of Manchester Airport (Tel 01614 362 190) I had previously spoken with them and they are sending me a full price quote based upon the size of toby and the selected airports. Though not a price for the crate. I'll probably have to call about that one tomorrow.

I have mentioned my previous best quote of £2,300 +£460 to everyone I have spoken with and they have all said that it seems exceptionally high so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Holly
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I was hoping to ask BA but I have 3 dogs to fly out, guess gonna have to think again

Might be worth a call, as the dogs know each other already might not be a problem.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Ok just got our mail and in it was the quote from Skymaster Air Cargo. Their quote for Toby was either £1037 or £1065 depending on if we flew him into Philadelphia or Toronto. We cannot get him any closer to our home because he is too big for all of the connecting flights.

With this in mind we have decided that he will stay w/us and we will all fly together with BA as the container size *Just* meets the size limits. His container is going to be 47"L x 26"w x 39"H and the maximum height is 40" so they said he would just squeeze in.

The cost according to BA today were £95 for handling and then £60 for extrabaggage + £60 because he is so big he has to be considered excess baggage. This is less than they told me yesterday so I am sure that these prices will change yet again. But as long as they are under £300 total we will be exceptionally happy. We will just purchase the crate from skymaster for £160 and we'll fly with him.

Or at least that looks like the best option. I know it means a hotel room +a rental car+ a long drive through areas I don't know too well but as soon as I hit the turpike it will be fine, just a long journey.

Thanks for all the help so far.. and if anyone wants to call BA the number is 0870 850 9850. They will need to know the crate size of the dog as well when booking (or so they told me) But i'm sure they can give information about shipping multiple animals.

Holly
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:32 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok just got our mail and in it was the quote from Skymaster Air Cargo. Their quote for Toby was either £1037 or £1065 depending on if we flew him into Philadelphia or Toronto. We cannot get him any closer to our home because he is too big for all of the connecting flights.
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to find something (a lot) more affordable than what Air Pets quoted you. If I had gotten the Air Pets quote I think I would've had a heart attack!

My advice is, as soon as you get a firm quote from BA, get it in writing. If you don't, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn around and jack up the price at the check-in counter. That's what American Airlines tried to do to us.

I also think it's a good idea to go with Toby. It will be stressful enough for him to fly -- but seeing Mum and Dad soon afterwards will be a bit of relief for him, I bet!

By the way, when are you travelling?

~ Jenney
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to find something (a lot) more affordable than what Air Pets quoted you. If I had gotten the Air Pets quote I think I would've had a heart attack!

By the way, when are you travelling?

~ Jenney
Well all i could do was thank them for their time for giving me the quote, all the while sitting with my jaw on the floor. When I got off the phone I proceeded to call hubby and tell him that the dog could come but he would have to stay here and work to pay for the flights...

As for a traveling date, we're not sure. We are still waiting on an interview and a visa. However we wanted to try to get this stuff sorted because w/any luck it will be sometime in the end of November when we get to move back to Pennsylvania.