British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing honey (in a glass) into the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-honey-glass-into-us-672170/)

TimNiceBut Jun 12th 2010 6:16 pm

Bringing honey (in a glass) into the US

A friend of mine in the UK is a bee keeper and kindly dropped off a couple of glasses of their "Surrey honey" for me to take back to the US. According to CBP.gov, it's OK to bring honey in. Given that I'm flying through SFO and they've got all sorts of weird produce laws there, does anybody know if they're OK with bringing honey in or is it mail time?

Jerseygirl Jun 12th 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Bringing honey (in a glass) into the US

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 8628745)
A friend of mine in the UK is a bee keeper and kindly dropped off a couple of glasses of their "Surrey honey" for me to take back to the US. According to CBP.gov, it's OK to bring honey in. Given that I'm flying through SFO and they've got all sorts of weird produce laws there, does anybody know if they're OK with bringing honey in or is it mail time?

I suppose if you're allowed to mail it to the US you can bring it with you. Itemise it on the custom's declaration form...and before you hand it over mention that you're carrying honey. The worst thing that will happen is that it will be confiscated.

Bob Jun 13th 2010 12:41 am

Only issues might come up with it being a bit wet, security might be a bit iffy about it, though if well wrapped, in a suitcase, it might be alright.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8629178)
Only issues might come up with it being a bit wet, security might be a bit iffy about it, though if well wrapped, in a suitcase, it might be alright.

Good point Bob...he wouldn't be able to carry it in his hand luggage. Don't think I'd like to risk honey leaking into my suitcase.

Kaffy Mintcake Jun 13th 2010 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8629229)
Good point Bob...he wouldn't be able to carry it in his hand luggage. Don't think I'd like to risk honey leaking into my suitcase.

Maybe a ziploc bag around it (or two)? That's what I do when carrying items like shampoo or perfume.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2010 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8629264)
Maybe a ziploc bag around it (or two)? That's what I do when carrying items like shampoo or perfume.

So do I but honey....ewww.

Kaffy Mintcake Jun 13th 2010 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8629285)
So do I but honey....ewww.

Hmmm ...maybe 2 ziplocs, and two other separate bags tied around those? You're right, if it's going to break, it must be contained.

TimNiceBut Jun 13th 2010 10:21 am

Ziplock's not a bad idea. Fortunately the honey is set, not the usual fluid gumpf that you'd get 99% of the time but not having the glass break in the suitcase would still be my preference.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 8629755)
Ziplock's not a bad idea. Fortunately the honey is set, not the usual fluid gumpf that you'd get 99% of the time but not having the glass break in the suitcase would still be my preference.

The hand luggage restrictions apply to liquids, lotions and gels...I would think the honey would come under gels.

mayhemuk Jun 13th 2010 2:26 pm

Maybe transfer to an alternative non glass container?
Or if you don't want it in plastic maybe a decent mason jar if the current one is a bit fragile?

TimNiceBut Jun 13th 2010 2:53 pm

Sorry, to make that clear - the honey isn't going in the hand luggage, it'll definitely be in the suitcase, wrapped in a bunch of shirts or something.

avanutria Jun 13th 2010 4:17 pm

Might be easier to post the stuff, wrapped in styrofoam and plastic or something.

Sally Redux Jun 13th 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 8630240)
Might be easier to post the stuff, wrapped in styrofoam and plastic or something.

I think I would do that.

Sounds delicious :tounge_smile:

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2010 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 8630117)
Sorry, to make that clear - the honey isn't going in the hand luggage, it'll definitely be in the suitcase, wrapped in a bunch of shirts or something.

In that case if it's a must to take it with you I would wrap it in as many plastic bags...starting with a few ziplocks...as I could lay my hands on. Put in the centre of the case surrounded with soft things ie clothing.

tonrob Jun 13th 2010 5:23 pm

Maybe you could eat it beforehand and transport it in your tummy. Or get a bear to eat it for you and then bring that.