Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing heavy duty electric goods into US

Bringing heavy duty electric goods into US

Old Jul 21st 2002, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing heavy duty electric goods into US

I am planning to bring my laptop computer (bought in the UK) into the States...

Does anyone know if the major stores like Bestbuy or Circuit City sell voltage convertors for these type of equipment. Or if not..where to go to get one?

Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2002, 7:20 pm
Maarten W.G. An

Default Re: Bringing heavy duty electric goods into US

"Karib" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am planning to bring my laptop computer (bought in the UK) into the States...
    >
    > Does anyone know if the major stores like Bestbuy or Circuit City sell voltage
    > convertors for these type of equipment. Or if not..where to go to get one?

Most laptops are auto-converting the voltage. Check your AC adapter. If it says that
it accepts voltages between 100 and 240, you are all set! The only thing you need to
do then is get a $5 plug to fit it in the wall

Maarten

Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point

Radio Shacks also sell the upstep and downstep converters for appliances. And the tips to convert. I used to work for one and I had bought stuff here for my fiance and sent them to him along with the converters.
Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies..

My laptop adaptor is 100-240V

I only got worried because I phoned the manufacturer' s customer
service line before and they said I couldn't use it.
Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Karib
I am planning to bring my laptop computer (bought in the UK) into the States...

Does anyone know if the major stores like Bestbuy or Circuit City sell voltage convertors for these type of equipment. Or if not..where to go to get one?

Thanks
Try this place, they have a great range http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog60_0.html

If you are bringing appliances other than your computer go for as large a transformer as you can afford (though not more than 3Kw). Be aware that anything with a speed critical motor, eg audio and video players, will not work here as mains is 60Hz, compared to the Uk's 50Hz.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:20 am
James Donovan

Karib <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am planning to bring my laptop computer (bought in the UK) into the States...
    >
    > Does anyone know if the major stores like Bestbuy or Circuit City sell voltage
    > convertors for these type of equipment. Or if not..where to go to get one?
    >
    > Thanks

Check your laptop's power adapter. Many new laptops operate with voltages anywhere
from 100(Japan) to 240 volts AC. If that's the case, you can simply order a power
cord from the manufacturer to fit your AC adapter. If your adapter is 240 volts only,
check the manufacturer to see if you can order a replacement US power adapter.

Radio Shack sells voltage converters, but I would stay away from these.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:20 am
James Donovan

pezeke <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Radio Shacks also sell the upstep and downstep converters for appliances. And the
    > tips to convert. I used to work for one and I had bought stuff here for my fiance
    > and sent them to him along with the converters.

Most of those "converters" that radioshack sells, especially the
220v>120V type aren't suitable for electronic equipment. They tend to only modify the
heating effect, not the actual RMS voltage. Therefore they are only suitable for
heating appliances (not your microwave though).

They also don't modify the frequency of the voltage, leading to problems in some
circuits. If you're buying a converter, make sure it has a transformer. These are
usually heavier and more expensive than the "heating appliance" type of converters.

If the laptop isn't capable of auto switching voltage, I would strongly suggest that
instead of a converter that you get the US version of the AC adapter for that model
of laptop. This would be much better in the long run.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by James Donovan

They also don't modify the frequency of the voltage, leading to problems in some circuits. If you're buying a converter, make sure it has a transformer.

See my previous posting - frequency is only a problem with speed critical motors (cassette deck, turntables and VCRs. NB CD players are OK as they regulate there own speed, as does the CD ROM in a PC) and go to http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog60_0.html where they have proper transformers for sale at very reasonable prices.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 5:20 pm
L D Jones

Karib wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the replies..
    >
    > My laptop adaptor is 100-240V
    >
    > I only got worried because I phoned the manufacturer' s customer service line
    > before and they said I couldn't use it.

They obviously don't know anything. I brought 2 computers (a loptop and a desktop)
to the US from the UK and had no problems with either. Make sure if the power supply
has a switch (not applicable to a laptop) that you switch it to the proper voltage
before using it.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 11:20 pm
James Donovan

Karib <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the replies..
    >
    > My laptop adaptor is 100-240V
    >
    > I only got worried because I phoned the manufacturer' s customer service line
    > before and they said I couldn't use it.

Customer service is the last place to get good advice from.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point

Radio shack sells the converters for both heavy duty heating appliances and those like laptops. I worked for one and took all their classes and was manager. WE did have a converter for LAPTOPS
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:20 pm
Stuart G. Fried

All you'll need is a plug converter then. It is probably better to purchase that
adapter on your end than ours. If you are going to be here for a bit, I'd buy a new
power cord. It is my philosophy, that the less adapters you need to string together,
the better. Unfortunately, I don't always practice what I preach.

"L D Jones" <"in#$&&_valid"@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Karib wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks for the replies..
    > >
    > > My laptop adaptor is 100-240V
    > >
    > > I only got worried because I phoned the manufacturer' s customer service line
    > > before and they said I couldn't use it.
    >
    > They obviously don't know anything. I brought 2 computers (a loptop and a desktop)
    > to the US from the UK and had no problems with either. Make sure if the power
    > supply has a switch (not applicable to a laptop) that you switch it to the proper
    > voltage before using it.