Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing food over

bringing food over

Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all
Default Re: bringing food over

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try Gary's in Bernardsville or Madison...he sells quite a good selection of British goodies. Normally there's more of a selection in Bernardsville. If there's anything you particularly want ask to speak to Gary...he'll do his best to get it for you.

Edit: Just looked at your past posts. Bernardsville is south of you on I287. I presume you know Willowbrook Mall...take 23 North...Gary's just opened a new large store on the righthand side a couple of miles up from the mall.
Thanks we'll definitely try this - the british section at our shoprite in Parsippany is getting woefully bad!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Thanks we'll definitely try this - the british section at our shoprite in Parsippany is getting woefully bad!
Shoprite is the worst...yuck. Look for Super Shop n Stop supermarkets...there's one on the junction of Rt 202 and Rt 10. All their stores have or used to have an international section...but many have moved the goodies to the Irish section.

Gary's have selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs at Easter.

Parsippany has a large Indian population and Indian stores tend to stock British stuff. There's one near the junction of Rt 46 and Rt 202...not the main plaza but a little lower down Rt202 at the traffic lights there's a small strip mall. I've never been in the shop but there used to be a small Indian store there. From what I've read on here you have to watch the sell by dates in these shops.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Shoprite is the worst...yuck. Look for Super Shop n Stop supermarkets...there's one on the junction of Rt 202 and Rt 10. All their stores have or used to have an international section...but many have moved the goodies to the Irish section.

Gary's have selection boxes at Christmas and Easter Eggs at Easter.

Parsippany has a large Indian population and Indian stores tend to stock British stuff. There's one near the junction of Rt 46 and Rt 202...not the main plaza but a little lower down Rt202 at the traffic lights there's a small strip mall. I've never been in the shop but there used to be a small Indian store there. From what I've read on here you have to watch the sell by dates in these shops.
Does Gary's or any of these places you mention have british bacon and/or sausages do you know?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Does Gary's or any of these places you mention have british bacon and/or sausages do you know?
No sorry...just non perishables.

Edit: Here's another store:

http://www.sallylunns.com/

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 5th 2009 at 12:57 am.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:46 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

Can someone tell me what goods are ok to bring over from the UK to the US? I want to ask my parents to bring some chocolate, gravy etc with them but I don't want to get them into any trouble!

Thanks
I think the only thing you would have trouble with bringing is Meats or any uncooked meats. My mom brings chocolates, candies, potato chips, canned goods and Oxo's and all kind of things over when she comes and also the packets of gravy mixes. She brought some suet once.
Hope that helps.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield
I think the only thing you would have trouble with bringing is Meats or any uncooked meats. My mom brings chocolates, candies, potato chips, canned goods and Oxo's and all kind of things over when she comes and also the packets of gravy mixes. She brought some suet once.
Hope that helps.
You're Mum may have managed to bring oxo and suet and get them through, but if she's caught with items that she isn't supposed to bring in, not only will they get confiscated she could face an on the spot fine and then be red flagged with the possibility of having her stuff searched every time she comes over...is it worth it for a packet of oxo cubes???
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

No sorry...just non perishables.

Edit: Here's another store:

http://www.sallylunns.com/
this look quaint - how did you find these places?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Where do you live?

Most large cities in this country have a British import shop where you can buy all that stuff - don't need to lug it all the way.

I myself stocked up on chocolate digestives just yesterday.
You're telling me I am living close to Chocolate Digestives!!! Where? (I hope you don't mean Hobnobs!! I don't like them).

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

this look quaint - how did you find these places?
I've been here 13 years. Passed your way today...went to the outlet centre. Spent too much in the Ugg store.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

unrelated is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a nice british shop in San Deigo (solana beach) tad on the expensive side though. Something like £5 for a tin of beens.

Ouch... hot fingers.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by unrelated
Theres a nice british shop in San Deigo (solana beach) tad on the expensive side though. Something like £5 for a tin of beens.

Ouch... hot fingers.
We now have Fresh N Easy stocking Heinz Beans for around $2 - $3.00 a tin.

They also have some other British food too I noticed.

I wish I could buy Custard Slices....YUMMMMM
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

unrelated is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good news, guess its just knowing where to look

Guy i work with went looking for custard to go with a apple pie and was unable to find any anywhere... theres always going to be something you cant find.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice
Talking Re: bringing food over

Well I guess we are rather lucky here in Las Vegas then because we have 2 store that sell a lot of British products. One is an International Market and has things from all over and the other is strictly British. Wonderful stuff but the International store is by far cheaper.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good news, guess its just knowing where to look

Guy i work with went looking for custard to go with a apple pie and was unable to find any anywhere... theres always going to be something you cant find.
Amazon does lot of things ...

http://www.amazon.com/Ambrosia-Devon...2272252&sr=8-4
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ouch... hot fingers.
What?!?!? I can buy Heinz Baked Beans way cheaper than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.