British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   bringing food over (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-food-over-628990/)

lisa67 Sep 3rd 2009 6:16 pm

Re: bringing food over

my parents have brought gravy granules over with them before...but have been asked specifically if they are carrying any oxo cubes! :ohmy:

lisa67 Sep 3rd 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7901531)
Where do you live?

Most large cities in this country have a British import shop where you can buy all that stuff - don't need to lug it all the way.

I myself stocked up on chocolate digestives just yesterday.

yeah, but at a price I bet! My Mum likes to bring the kids stuff over..makes her feel "needed" :) (and I have yet to find any chocolate limes over here!!)

The Horticulturalist Sep 3rd 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by NotworkSte (Post 7900734)
On a somewhat related note... Cindy has fallen in love with back bacon, and is half jokingly trying to get me to take her some over, which of course I would not do.

Raises the curious question though, if I were to, what would the consequences of doing so be, and how much would the fine be? Or do they just seize it without a fine?

I had a hard enough time taking her some gouda cheese over, and the officer rather sarcastically reminded me "you do know we HAVE our own food here don't you?"

I don't know what the fine would be but I'm fairly sure that it would be noted and flagged everytime you entered the country, probably resulting in delays/searches/visits to secondary.

Ray Sep 3rd 2009 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7901533)
my parents have brought gravy granules over with them before...but have been asked specifically if they are carrying any oxo cubes! :ohmy:

Go thru Orlando you will be ... the guys there luv them ...

Braintreegirl Sep 3rd 2009 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7901531)
Where do you live?

Most large cities in this country have a British import shop where you can buy all that stuff - don't need to lug it all the way.

I myself stocked up on chocolate digestives just yesterday.

You're luck they have one in California where you are - I have to pay shipping from there to New Jersey!

Mallory Sep 3rd 2009 7:12 pm

I just bought beef Oxo at the new British section in Publix 2 weeks ago. I think it must have slipped through in their order by accident. I took full advantage though!

Bob Sep 3rd 2009 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7901535)
yeah, but at a price I bet! My Mum likes to bring the kids stuff over..makes her feel "needed" :) (and I have yet to find any chocolate limes over here!!)

Tell me about it, $6.50 for a small pack of knock off choc hobnobs...having a laugh there.

Bob Sep 3rd 2009 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl (Post 7901676)
You're luck they have one in California where you are - I have to pay shipping from there to New Jersey!

There's a couple of good places to get stuff sent from Mass and one in Maine, so probably a lot cheaper and quicker.

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2009 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl (Post 7901676)

I'm in Morris County and there are several places here that sell them. Also if you are anywhere near Bridgewater Mall...the Irish Shop there sells them and other British goodies. What country are you in?

Braintreegirl Sep 3rd 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7901740)
I'm in Morris County and there are several places here that sell them. Also if you are anywhere near Bridgewater Mall...the Irish Shop there sells them and other British goodies. What country are you in?

I'm in the U.S., also in Morris County

Ray Sep 3rd 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 7901680)
I just bought beef Oxo at the new British section in Publix 2 weeks ago. I think it must have slipped through in their order by accident. I took full advantage though!

You can bring it in with a licence no problem ...as they probably have

Jerseygirl Sep 3rd 2009 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl (Post 7901791)
I'm in the U.S., also in Morris County

Try Gary's in Bernardsville or Madison...he sells quite a good selection of British goodies. Normally there's more of a selection in Bernardsville. If there's anything you particularly want ask to speak to Gary...he'll do his best to get it for you.

Edit: Just looked at your past posts. Bernardsville is south of you on I287. I presume you know Willowbrook Mall...take 23 North...Gary's just opened a new large store on the righthand side a couple of miles up from the mall.

MsElui Sep 4th 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 7901606)
I don't know what the fine would be but I'm fairly sure that it would be noted and flagged everytime you entered the country, probably resulting in delays/searches/visits to secondary.

yes - there was a poster on here who got their green card but STILL got hauled to secondary every entry as they had 'customs violator' on their records.

Deedee13 Sep 4th 2009 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7901160)
No Oxo...or soft cheese ..nothing with the word meat in it
chocolate is good ....

not quite! Not all meats are banned. :confused: Which i found bloody amazing. Fish isnt either.

The german guy for a 300$ fine for bringing in a turkey butty he got on the plane. One of our FAs got a 500$ fine last weekend. He had a rotten apple at the bottom of his bag which he forgot about . Told him he should have known better.

I know we have been told that the agricultural part of the customs is on special for the next 6 weeks for fruits, veggies and meat products.

Ray Sep 4th 2009 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7902571)
The german guy for a 300$ fine for bringing in a turkey butty he got on the plane. .

Well done Dee .. what a memory ....