British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing duty free back to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-duty-free-back-us-646586/)

_chloe_ Dec 30th 2009 4:59 am

Bringing duty free back to the US

Hi,

I have a question regarding duty free.

If you buy duty free on your way home to the UK or Ireland, can you bring it back with you when you return to the USA?

Is there a limit on the amount you can bring back? And do you have to declare it or anything? I can't remember if there is a section on the customs form for this.

I remember reading that there are $200, $800 and $1,600 duty free exemptions.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all :)

tonrob Dec 30th 2009 10:27 am

Re: Bringing duty free back to the US

Originally Posted by _chloe_ (Post 8205276)
Hi,

I have a question regarding duty free.

If you buy duty free on your way home to the UK or Ireland, can you bring it back with you when you return to the USA?

Is there a limit on the amount you can bring back? And do you have to declare it or anything? I can't remember if there is a section on the customs form for this.

I remember reading that there are $200, $800 and $1,600 duty free exemptions.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all :)

If you paste your thread title into Google the very first result gives you all the info you need! Amazing! :)

Duncan Roberts Dec 30th 2009 12:46 pm

The one thing you should also check is the specific airport rules for that sort of stuff. I know that in Cleveland if you fly in on an international flight you collect your checked bag between immigration and customs then have to put any alcohol (or any other liquid over the 4oz limit or whatever it is) in your checked bag before you go through customs, then you have to put your checked bag onto a convener belt to be either taken to your connecting flight or the baggage claim. If you don't do that when you go through the security exiting the customs area your duty free will be confiscated. If you have a bunch of expensive liquids and no room in your bag then you would be screwed.

meauxna Dec 30th 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8205753)
If you paste your thread title into Google the very first result gives you all the info you need! Amazing! :)

I love that new feature that lets you highlight the text, right click and search google immediately! Don't even have to do any pesky typing or copy/paste!

tonrob Dec 30th 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8206567)
I love that new feature that lets you highlight the text, right click and search google immediately! Don't even have to do any pesky typing or copy/paste!

I like that feature that lets you come on BE and ask the question. It may take three times as long as doing a Google search and waste everyone else's time too in the process but it means you don't have to do any pesky thinking! :)

_chloe_ Dec 30th 2009 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 8206062)
The one thing you should also check is the specific airport rules for that sort of stuff. I know that in Cleveland if you fly in on an international flight you collect your checked bag between immigration and customs then have to put any alcohol (or any other liquid over the 4oz limit or whatever it is) in your checked bag before you go through customs, then you have to put your checked bag onto a convener belt to be either taken to your connecting flight or the baggage claim. If you don't do that when you go through the security exiting the customs area your duty free will be confiscated. If you have a bunch of expensive liquids and no room in your bag then you would be screwed.

Thanks for that Duncan. I better check with the airport to be sure. I had read conflicting things which is why I asked here as I though this is the place where I might get a better idea.

Thanks again Duncan and Happy New Year :)

Bob Dec 30th 2009 6:36 pm

duty free probably isn't the problem, it's bringing that much liquid back on the plane that will be...

tonrob Dec 30th 2009 7:03 pm

And thanks tonrob for telling me exactly where to find exactly what I needed! Sheesh... don't know why I bother... :lol:

_chloe_ Dec 30th 2009 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8206853)
duty free probably isn't the problem, it's bringing that much liquid back on the plane that will be...

Hi Bob,

It's actually just cigarettes, no liquids. Maybe that be okay.

Thanks again for the replies.

Zonie Dec 30th 2009 9:36 pm

Sprouts make you invisible.

tonrob Dec 30th 2009 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Zonie (Post 8207209)
Sprouts make you invisible.

People could still find me if they had a sense of smell...