Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing dogs to Texas

Bringing dogs to Texas

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

brit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Bringing dogs to Texas

Hello! We are moving to Texas in December and have a Bichon and a jackapoo that we are bringing with us.

I've done a lot of research online but I can't seem to find a simple guide to what injections they need, what forms need completing and the exact process with British airways or KLM.

Ha anyone been through this themselves who could offer advice on what steps to take?

Thank you
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing dogs to Texas

Originally Posted by brit100 View Post
Ha anyone been through this themselves who could offer advice on what steps to take?
Many people have brought dogs to the US - but, since dog transport isn't actually an immigration-related issue, they post in the general US forum. Perhaps a moderator will move your post over there! I know you'll get many more responses as a result.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

brit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond reputebrit100 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian. Hopefully they will move it as I don't want to post the same question twice! X
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 1:41 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

There is a wiki on bringing pets - Bringing Pets : British Expat Wiki

We brought a dog with us from Aberdeen to Houston 4 years ago. Chose to do it ourselves because of cost. If you fly BA I think you have to use a pet courier. KLM will still let you fly a pet yourself. For KLM we needed a fitness to fly certificate from our vet. We chose to get a pet passport to make moving back to the UK easier, but you may not need to do that anymore - that was the most expensive bit. There is a thread on requirements for bringing animals back in the moving back to the uk forum. You'll have to make your mind up.

Last time I checked you could pretty much rock up in Houston with dogs from the UK and that was all the paperwork needed. Because we had the pet passport we already had the rabies vaccination and the titre test to prove it was effective - this was a uk requirement though. You will need to get the dogs on something like trifexis as soon as you move here - heart worm is nasty.

The rules can change frequently and I don't go and update the wiki all that regularly. There is a link to the Texas regs there.

In short, if you don't mind a couple of painful calls with klm staff then it's easy enough to DIY. Otherwise you can pay a pet courier to do it, and the reviews of those seem to be universally popular. 6 cases, a toddler and a dog in a kennel was quite a bit to haul to the airport - used a taxi and the hire car for that.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:52 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze View Post
You will need to get the dogs on something like trifexis as soon as you move here - heart worm is nasty.

Even indoor pets should be on some form of heart worm prevention.
Once you register with a local veterinarian they will have their own suggested product. We recommend Frontline Plus to all our clients. Every product carries its risks, but we see more adverse reactions to Trifexis that other products. In our experience, Frontline Plus has proved to be the best choice. We use it on all our own animals, as do all our doctors and vet techs.

Texas state law doesn't require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (often called a 'health certificate'), but each county and local jurisdiction may have its own requirements/ordinances.

Last edited by thinbrit; Oct 3rd 2014 at 4:42 pm. Reason: corrected brand name of product
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 4:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit View Post
Even indoor pets should be on some form of heart worm prevention.
Absolutely! I've used Heartgard for many years -- everyone should use whatever works best for their pet, as long as they use something! Is Lyme disease an issue in your area? That's an important vaccination these days.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 4:41 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Absolutely! I've used Heartgard for many years -- everyone should use whatever works best for their pet, as long as they use something! Is Lyme disease an issue in your area? That's an important vaccination these days.
Lyme disease is now endemic to Texas
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:35 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the area you are moving to, I'd look into rattlesnake vaccine also.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Check the recent thread 'recent experiences flying dogs over' - there's loads of info on there. I flew my dog to LA using KLM (didn't fly out of the UK though). If you have specific questions about the KLM experience, let me know.