Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

As I understand it as long as you are grandfathered in then you are OK as a child until 26, married or not.

I am not sure if it is until you are 27 you age out but google will no doubt tell you.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the package inserts for oral contraceptives note that they are no protection against HIV. Just saying.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OK. There are many issues which could be addressed in this thread. (The use of condoms/HIV protection in marriage? - really Mr F??)

I'm just going to suggest one possible solution: seek advice (in the UK about) long acting reversible contraception, such as the Mirena or other intrauterine device.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, the package inserts for oral contraceptives note that they are no protection against HIV. Just saying.
That would be the combined oral contraceptive Mr F
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:55 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
(The use of condoms/HIV protection in marriage? - really Mr F??)
I don't think she ever said whether she was married or not. If she did, I missed it and apologize.

ETA: Ah, in another thread she refers to her husband and an I-130 application, but it wasn't addressed in this thread.

Last edited by avanutria; Nov 3rd 2011 at 7:57 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by avanutria
I don't think she ever said whether she was married or not. If she did, I missed it and apologize.
It wasn't mentioned on this thread, but another that she started or wrote on about getting married on the same day as applying for visa or suchlike.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria

ETA: Ah, in another thread she refers to her husband and an I-130 application, but it wasn't addressed in this thread.
I'm assuming she's well under 21 and is moving over here with her parents. Of course she may be a USC.

Edit: I've just read Ozzio's post and looked through the OP's posts...her first one states 'I am a USC and my Husband is a UKC we have just sent in our I-130 petition'. Don't quite know where her parent's insurance comes into it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 3rd 2011 at 8:00 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm assuming she's well under 21 and is moving over here with her parents. Of course she may be a USC.
She stated above that she's 26, and in this thread she discusses her husband and being a LPR http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733816

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She stated above that she's 26, and in this thread she discusses her husband and being a LPR http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733816

Our posts got crossed.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

(The use of condoms/HIV protection in marriage? - really Mr F??)
I'm not going there other than to note that the choices are personal and private.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I'm not going there other than to note that the choices are personal and private.
Of course they are. I'm just surprised that it was raised in this setting.

Best wishes
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was always under the impression that as soon as you married, you were no longer considered a minor and were dropped from parental insurance. AFAIK, that issue wasn't addressed in the Healthcare reform. If the OP is counting on daddy's insurance, she better call them up and verify she can still be covered.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Yes, I was always under the impression that as soon as you married, you were no longer considered a minor and were dropped from parental insurance. AFAIK, that issue wasn't addressed in the Healthcare reform. If the OP is counting on daddy's insurance, she better call them up and verify she can still be covered.
Actually, that's one thing that health-care reform did fix:

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...age/index.html
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:03 am
Just Joined

getyourownshoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I wondered the same thing about the (availability of contraceptives in the US) whilst I was living in the UK. I decided to have the contraceptive implant Implanon inserted into my upper arm - and it prevents pregnancy for 3 years. It was done easily at my local GP office (for free - good ol' NHS) and is fully reversible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

It may be something to consider.