Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of
Default Re: bringing contraception / birth control into the USA

[QUOTE=Sally Redux;9710657]You seem to be fixating on the contraception, but surely not having health insurance is going to be a worry?

QUOTE]

I think this is really a bigger issue - not having health insurance in the US is a *really bad* idea
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

That's putting it mildly. My husband had to be rushed to the ER almost a year ago with chest pains. The bill would have been almost $6000. We paid $100. I know that is actually on the low side for a hospital bill. He didn't stay the night either. Just a few hours in the ER.

Hubby hates the fact that we have to pay so much for insurance. Both of our companies offer HIP/Emblem which none of my doctors take and they don't offer a couples plan just single or married. We both could have taken single which is cheaper than what we have now privately but the benefits were crap, I hate that it's gotten so expensive as well but I hate the other option even more!

Even just getting a basic hospitalization plan is better than nothing.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:09 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesuz
I am on my dad's health insurance I am just trying to fight paying for it (its incredibly corrupt that we have to pay not to get pregnant).
I don't quite understand this. What are your current circumstances and what will they be when you move to the US. ie will you be working or are you a teenager who will be on a family plan?

Whatever it is I worry that you are not certain of your medical insurance and coming to the US. It's one thing that you really need to plan in detail and know that you have sufficient coverage. Imagine having an accident in the US without insurance, you could easily end up with an enormous bill.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

thesuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I was wondering the same thing. Also if you're notliving in the US what health insurance are you on?
I'm 26 so i can still be on my parents insurance.
see: http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.c...ried-children/

I'm in the UK and here you don't need health insurance. Contraception is free.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

The article you have posted says 'until they are 26' if you are already 26 how can you be covered?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:07 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

That article you linked states that children can be on their parents' insurance UNTIL age 26.

Edit - oops, Nicky beat me to it
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:15 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't been living in the states I'm wondering if the coverage would have even been valid.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
If you haven't been living in the states I'm wondering if the coverage would have even been valid.
I wonder about this too.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
The article you have posted says 'until they are 26' if you are already 26 how can you be covered?
You are saying "We"...if you're married, you won't be covered, it you're 26 already, you won't be covered...contraceptives might still not be covered anyway.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You are saying "We"...if you're married, you won't be covered, it you're 26 already, you won't be covered...contraceptives might still not be covered anyway.
What
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:56 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

No idea why we are even bothering with this it's all over Dec 21st 2012 none of us will be shagging where we are going, or maybe not so!

Last edited by Poppy girl; Nov 2nd 2011 at 8:23 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What
The OP, in the first post said "we", so if she were married, she'd likely not be able to get on parents policy if under 26 anyway. If she is actually 26, she'd not be able to get on it anyway. And some insurance policies don't cover contraceptives.

What was hard to understand about that? :/
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
The OP, in the first post said "we", so if she were married, she'd likely not be able to get on parents policy if under 26 anyway. If she is actually 26, she'd not be able to get on it anyway. And some insurance policies don't cover contraceptives.

What was hard to understand about that? :/
You'd quoted me saying 'we' and I didn't know what you were talking about 'cos I hadn't said 'we'
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm watching this thread, back later to comment.

One question to the OP. How can you still be on your father's health insurance as a married woman? Curious minds wish to know
Ah there you are Ozzio.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You'd quoted me saying 'we' and I didn't know what you were talking about 'cos I hadn't said 'we'
Oops, sorry, meant OP instead of you at the start of the post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.