Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing cash into the US.

Bringing cash into the US.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Mattmcc1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing cash into the US.

Im coming over to the US for 90 days as of next month. I have got money saved up to cover me. My wife (USC) is going to open a joint bank account for us. I want to bring over my savings in cash to avoid travelers checks charges. Is this likely to cause problems with customs when i turn up with around $5000 in cash?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing cash into the US.

Originally Posted by Mattmcc1985 View Post
Im coming over to the US for 90 days as of next month. I have got money saved up to cover me. My wife (USC) is going to open a joint bank account for us. I want to bring over my savings in cash to avoid travelers checks charges. Is this likely to cause problems with customs when i turn up with around $5000 in cash?
Nope -- your limit before being required to declare it is $10k.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't it be easier to get a "gift" card type debit card instead of carrying all that cash? Easier keeping the card on you and you could cancel it if stolen rather than if someone ran off with your bag of loot...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I would suggest using XE.com or similar and just transfer the money between your accounts.
Unless of course you think you'll send the money then arrive and find she's moved house? ;-)
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Mattmcc1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the ideas. Im happy to carry cash on me i just dont want to be interrogated because im carrying a large amount of cash on me.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that your new bank may want you to document where the cash came from. Just bring the withdrawal slip from the bank and a recent statement.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more worried that I would not be allowed in because I'm carrying that amount of cash on me. With a USC spouse, that amount screams "immigrant".
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas. Im happy to carry cash on me i just dont want to be interrogated because im carrying a large amount of cash on me.
customs, won't be a problem, POE, might be.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I'd suggest doing an transfer unless you have no option other than to take cash.
If some reason you do loose the money it's gone. End of.
Not suggesting you will get mugged or anything as dramatic as that but accidents happen.
Also you generally get a better rate on the transfers aswell.
My shop today will give you $4740 for £3000 cash today.
XE.com would give you another $136. So more money and peace of mind.

Good luck!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously would reconsider carrying that much cash on me anywhere! If you are going to open up a US bank account what about getting a money order or certified check in US dollars or doing a bank transfer (as suggested) after the account is opened? It's much safer. After you open the account then you can take the cash out as you need it.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

When DH was coming over on his K-1, he had Barclays do a cashier's check in US dollars made out to me to deposit in my (eventually our) account. You should seriously consider doing the same thing. Perhaps just have the check made out to you which can be deposited when your name is on the account.