British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bringing 3 chihuahua's to the USA from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bringing-3-chihuahuas-usa-uk-793953/)

elizabethsmum Apr 14th 2013 6:14 pm

Bringing 3 chihuahua's to the USA from the UK

Hi all,

We are travelling the UK to the USA on the 12th November on Cunard I want to make sure that we have everything we need for the dogs, they are all microchipped, up to date on vacinations and we got them their rabbies shots last week what else do we need to do? I dont want to get to the day and they can't come (I wouldnt leave them here, they are our babies) We was going to fly but I just cant risk it and they would hate to be in crates so the deposit has been made but I have read about horror stories online about paper work not being done properly.

We are moving to the USA so wont need to come back (I know the UK rules are much stricter)

:) Thanks in advance

Abfab10 Apr 14th 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Bringing 3 chihuahua's to the USA from the UK

You could think about using a pet shipping company who can advise you properly and manage it for you completely?

We are moving our cats by plane using a pet shipping company who seem very professional. Why not give them a call and check with them?

Nutmegger Apr 14th 2013 7:30 pm

Each state has different regulations regarding what immunizations a pet requires -- check with the online regs for the state you will be resident in. For items that are your choice, here in New England Lyme vaccine is an essential; in most states, heartworm protection is a must.

For entry into the US, I'd suggest asking Cunard what they require -- surely they don't want to be stuck with a pet that can't leave the ship and will know what is needed.

Mr Weeze Apr 14th 2013 8:18 pm

Very little for actually coming into the USA. As they are rabies-free from the UK, it's not much hassle. Cunard probably have more stringent requirements. There is a bit more info on this in the wiki too.

Jerseygirl Apr 14th 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum (Post 10658681)
Hi all,

We are travelling the UK to the USA on the 12th November on Cunard I want to make sure that we have everything we need for the dogs, they are all microchipped, up to date on vacinations and we got them their rabbies shots last week what else do we need to do? I dont want to get to the day and they can't come (I wouldnt leave them here, they are our babies) We was going to fly but I just cant risk it and they would hate to be in crates so the deposit has been made but I have read about horror stories online about paper work not being done properly.

We are moving to the USA so wont need to come back (I know the UK rules are much stricter)

:) Thanks in advance

Some airlines...not UK airlines...will allow you to take a small dog in the cabin as part of the hand luggage allowance. Usually one per person but there is normally a restriction on the number of pets per flight. Best to call round the airlines...I would begin with United.

Bob Apr 14th 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 10658785)
Each state has different regulations regarding what immunizations a pet requires -- check with the online regs for the state you will be resident in....

And also for any state you might be transiting through. Though realistically you're not likely to get any grief from the authorities driving through, it's still worth considering, as you say, some states have certain requirements that are a good idea getting things for, especially if you let the dogs out for a wonder around a service stop.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 15th 2013 3:29 am

Trade them in and get one proper dog?

tanith Apr 15th 2013 8:00 am

The ' kennels' on cunard are no bigger than the crates at the vet - there are only 2 areas they can be walked........ I decided 12 hours in a crate was preferable to 7 days in a crate. But rabies vax & health certificate is all that is required.

NatashaB Apr 15th 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10659219)

:rofl:

elizabethsmum Apr 16th 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10659219)

Hilarious!!! I wonder if you partner thinks of trading you in with a real person or even a comedian?

Thank you all, we are moving back to NY I contacted Cunard and its super straightforward paper work wise. They need a rabbies shot within 12 months and a health certificate signed within 30 days of arriving into NY.

elizabethsmum Apr 16th 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tanith (Post 10659490)
The ' kennels' on cunard are no bigger than the crates at the vet - there are only 2 areas they can be walked........ I decided 12 hours in a crate was preferable to 7 days in a crate. But rabies vax & health certificate is all that is required.

We have got 2 big crates for them ( they are massive) reading reviews the dogs get treated better than passengers lol. They are with someone all the t UK me and we can go visit them as much as we want and take rt hem out, they have a playroom and the kennel master will also get them out. My dogs hate loud noises and being alone for 13 + hours in their own crates was not a good choice for us, we looked into it first, Cunard even bake them dog cookies before bed time! They get a little pack each and have a photo day where they get to put on little cute jackets and get pics;-)

Good luck with your move, its always worrying and we have to make the right decision for our fur babies x

Pulaski Apr 16th 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum (Post 10661924)
..... They .... have a photo day where they get to put on little cute jackets and get pics. .....

Boiler was right, a proper dog wouldn't put up with that sort of ¢r@p. :rofl:

Poppy girl Apr 18th 2013 5:07 pm

No pet cert required for the US just a Rabbies and worms shots.
Agencys are very expensive and for the most part not neccesary do it yourself I did, granted cat flew but I saved over $1000 to what the agency wanted to add in fee's.

NatashaB Apr 18th 2013 5:13 pm

We used PetAir UK (I assume that the poster above works for them) to ship our cat to the US a couple of years ago. They offered 2 options - one where you got the certificates via your own vet and one where they did everything for you in terms of paperwork (we went for the DIY option). We were very happy with them - they were very helpful throughout the process.

steffunny Apr 28th 2013 2:36 pm

i too have chihuahuas that i will be moving back home to the usa with.........we came to the uk on the qm2 and i can tell you that they are wonderful........unless im able to take mine in cabin on a plane i will using qm2 again.........i came over to uk in late 2010......at that time we were allowed 5 visits per day with our doggies.......there is an outside area but i didnt take my lil ones out there.......wind was just a lil too strong for them.......there is a kennel room and another room that you can sit in and socialize with everyone/doggie love..........my doggies used poop pads in there............also the kennels can be opened up to make one large kennel so that they can be together........i made some wonderful friends on the kennel and we continue to remain in touch..........all thats required for your babies are rabies certificate and i would get them a health certificate too........if available i would go ahead and start them on heartworm preventive before arriving in us.......as it doesnt take much for them to contract heartworms.....if you spend your five visits with your babies there will be little time for anything else.......i want to stay it totaled out to almost eight hours in a day...........hope this is of help to you........best of luck on your travels.........give your lil doggies hugs from us