Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bridal Shower....

Bridal Shower....

Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bridal Shower....

I did say earlier that these things vary across the country.

In NYC and Long Island - people do have v. expensive weddings, and this is reflected in showers also. Showers round here run about $50 per head and wedding receptions at least $100 per head plus 18% tip plus taxes.

its is crazy part of the country!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:36 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Idea is to cover what they are paying per head for the reception.
They invite you to their wedding and you are expected to pay your own way??? FTFAGOS
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:44 am
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Don't feel you have to buy where she's registered...leave that to her family and closer friends. No need to push the boat out for someone you don't know well, and I'm sure she won't expect that. Tupperware is always a good gift...have a look at their website...you can even shop by price.

You'll need a drink if one of the games is 'make a bridal dress from toilet roll' - argh! Refreshments at all bridal showers I've been to include cake, mixed nuts, mints and punch (non-alcho).

Have fun!!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a wedding last year, I have to say, it was worth every penny. I'd do it again in a second, it was like something you would see in a movie.

Free bar, amazing food and the reception was really organised and entertaining. It was on the 42nd floor of a lovely building in Dallas with a view of the Dallas skyline, it was very romantic and I enjoyed every second of it. Got to dress up, dance with my hubby, I loved it.

We bought a gift from the gift registry and there was a very wide range of prices to pick from although obviously they know what you've spent.

As others have suggested I would try and get an idea of what is expected in your area although what britchicknyc said is around what I would expect to pay here as well, depending on the type of wedding you are talking about of course.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:03 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

I agree with Tami. I'm also 'merican and have been to quite a few US bridal showers and weddings over the years. Most of my friends usually give more personal gifts for the shower- sometimes things for the home or off of the registry, but usually things for the honeymoon, etc. like lingerie, pampering bath products (like stuff from lush, etc), I even got a can of kama sutra honey dust at my shower! Also maybe a peice of jewelry, or a nice "thing" to wear on the honeymoon is also a good gift, if you're wanting to go more the "personal" route. Things like gift certificates for a mani/pedi or a massage or facial are another one. Shower gifts tend to run in the range of $25-50.

Since most of my friends have been 30 something brides- we had plenty of stuff for the house, and besides the house stuff can be given for the wedding. When giving money, it ranges from singles ($50-75) to couples ($100-150) depending on your pocketbook. But honestly, personal gifts are also really nice for wedding gifts, too. I have a couple of friends who are photographers and each gave us a framed photo (same theme- from the same gallery show- so professionally framed) for a wedding gift.

There's no hard and fast rule, except try not to come empty handed to either- although wedding gifts can be sent directly if you don't want to have to carry. Wedding gifts can actually be given to a couple up to a whole year after the wedding if need be (say you travelled far for the wedding, etc). There will likely be a present table or present area at the reception.

Wishing well? Games? None of that malarky at my friends' showers. And we always had alcohol, usually in some girly incarnation- sangria, mojitos, mimosas/buck's fizz, etc.

Oh- those price ranges are for the mid-Atlantic/Baltimore/Annapolis, etc.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Apparently she likes my accent and the way I say 'bloke'!
Celebrity guests can often get away with providing less, so long as they are sufficiently extroverted and live up to the host's expectations...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snorkmaiden]I went to a wedding last year, I have to say, it was worth every penny. I'd do it again in a second, it was like something you would see in a movie.

Free bar, amazing food and the reception was really organised and entertaining. It was on the 42nd floor of a lovely building in Dallas with a view of the Dallas skyline, it was very romantic and I enjoyed every second of it. Got to dress up, dance with my hubby, I loved it.

I would agree the one and only wedding I have been invited to was in a church in Chicago and then reception at the Prudential building. Amazing views of the skyline of Chicago. Everything was free. It was really interesting to see what everyone was wearing (very formal attire) everyone got down and boogied after. A real experience.