Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Old Jan 28th 2017, 10:47 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

From the BBC
The restriction applies to green card holders - legal permanent residents of the US - from the seven countries.
First they came for the Syrians, and I did not speak out — Because I was not a Syrian.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitebear
Before anyone leaves the UK for the USA, they need to understand just how much money they will have to spend on insurance. .....
"May", not "will".

Our (wife, minor daughter, and me) insurance costs us $182/mth. Last year total out of pocket expenses (copays and deductibles) came to less than $1,000, despite my daughter having a potentially life-threatening allergy. We also contributed to HSAs, as we have for the past eight years, such that we could handle maximum family deductibles for 5+ years even if we stopped funding our HSAs, and more or less indefinitely so long as we keep funding them. I don't think our out of pocket expenses have exceeded $1,500 in the last 8 years.

In short, not everyone has good choices of health insurance, but most who come over on work-related visas will, but IMO it is important not to be scared into paying for excessive insurance that you really don't need. I hate myself for what we paid in insurance during the first six years we were here - we flushed a small fortune down the toilet.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I agree completely. This is my 31st year in the US. Reagan was president when I arrived. In the 80's the US was seen as a tolerant generous nation. Not so much anymore. I suppose eventually everything changes.
As for world perception the pendulum swings on this too. Was the US seen as a tolerant and generous nation in 2003? During the Cold War there were periodic times of storminess and protest in Europe as well.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 11:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsted
Doesn't look like healthcare is doing too well either in the UK from what people back home are saying!

Healthcare here, you are subsidizing those that are uninsured etc who just use the ER and those on medicaid who pay virtually nothing so the costs get passed onto you am afraid!
That;s ok if you are poor and don't have a chronic condition. If you don't have insurance and have a chronic illness in the US you are in real trouble. For all the ills of the NHS....however they have come about.......it covers all residents and you don't have to worry about cost if you are ill.. and people live longer in the UK.

Last edited by nun; Jan 28th 2017 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 11:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
From the BBC

First they came for the Syrians, and I did not speak out — Because I was not a Syrian.
I just donated to the ACLU. I feel a great affinity with Detrich Boenhoffer right now......I never thought I'd feel that way living in the US, but I do today.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

whitebear is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't do a generally, but when we arrived in 2011, I was 56 and my wife 51. We paid around 500 dollars a month. The following year my premium rose on the basis that I was getting into the older age group. I think that is when Obamacare kicked in, for which we qualify. This took the pressure off, except my wife was diagnosed with a chronic condition which took our out of pocket expenses way higher. Next the premium we actually paid went to around $500 with Minnsure picking up the rest. This year, we are paying over $700 and get a subsidy of about $1400. That is how crazy it is.

I take Statins, and the Pharmacy told me one day they were going to cost me $400 for 90 tablets. Then they realised there was a hiccup with the insurance, and I ended up paying $17. If that meant the insurance company picked up the tab for $400, it is no wonder the premiums are so crazy.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:10 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I just donated to the ACLU. I feel a great affinity with Detrich Boenhoffer right now......I never thought I'd feel that way living in the US, but I do today.
Just turned away from the TV news intending to donate, too! What an utter nightmare is unfolding at the airports.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:25 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

'If that meant the insurance company picked up the tab for $400, it is no wonder the premiums are so crazy.'

No way did they pick up the tab for $400 it was likely brand vs generic. go to goodrx.com you can see what a med should cost you without insurance if you are paying more with insurance then you are being truly scammed!

If you are poor and have chronic conditions you qualify for medicaid which is very low co-pay/deductible if any. A lot of NY state appears to be on it. Most expats won't qualify for govt. insurance programs.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 1:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsted
..... If you are poor and have chronic conditions you qualify for medicaid ....
That is far from certain in states which did not "expand Medicaid". President Obama had expected that all states would expand Medicaid, and this was specifically anticipated by the Affordable Care Act, but in those states which did not expand Medicaid (there are 19 of them, predominately in The South, the plains states, and some of the mountain states), there is a very real risk that if you are poor and without children that Medicaid won't help you.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

A word of warning for those planning to come to the USA. Purchasing private health insurance will make you poor, but not having it will make you poorer. I recently lost my health insurance. Here is a price breakdown of my meds per month when I had insurance and what I pay now:
Beclamethasone inhaler WAS $29.00 NOW $144.00
Lisinopril WAS 98¢ NOW $44.00
Hydrclorothiazide WAS 98¢ NOW $13.00
Ecitalopram WAS $6.98 NOW $88.00
It's truly frightening being without insurance in the US. You won't know how much you rely on the NHS until you don't have it to lean on any more.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
A word of warning for those planning to come to the USA. Purchasing private health insurance will make you poor, but not having it will make you poorer. I recently lost my health insurance. Here is a price breakdown of my meds per month when I had insurance and what I pay now:
It's truly frightening being without insurance in the US. You won't know how much you rely on the NHS until you don't have it to lean on any more.
Start price shopping those drugs. Lisinopril and hydroclorithiazide are available as a 1 pill combo at Walmart for $4 without any insurance. I used to take that for my blood pressure until I developed the common side effect of coughing. Look at good rx to price shop those other drugs. Most national pharmacies have a discount price for common generics. Costco Sams Kroger Safeway Walgreens and they will mail it for free.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 1:36 am

A word of warning for those planning to come to the USA. Purchasing private health insurance will make you poor, ....
"May", not "will".
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:17 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Just turned away from the TV news intending to donate, too! What an utter nightmare is unfolding at the airports.
I donate to ACLU a few hours ago and they just got a Federal judge to stay Trump's executive order.....looks like my money was well spent
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:23 am
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Those meds much cheaper on goodrx your doctor should have told you this.

Sadly it is the misuse and abuse of the NHS by the public that is killing it off. Folk there don't take responsibility go to A&E for sniffles etc
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:46 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I donate to ACLU a few hours ago and they just got a Federal judge to stay Trump's executive order.....looks like my money was well spent
I agree. Very exciting news!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.