Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

davispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud ofdavispigeon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brexit Britain vs Trump's America?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
*cough* impeachment *cough*

As others have said, Brexit is permanent whereas Trump is temporary. And it's too soon to tell what effect either of them will have, to be honest.

Who knows? 2017 could be the start of a glorious new era of financial stability and economic growth for both countries. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not discounting the possibility either.

For me, personally, the US is home now and I very much doubt we'll ever move back. Our standard of living is vastly superior over here, and to be honest I'm glad to be away from the yob culture in the UK.
Yob culture there vs gun culture here. Both are awful.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:34 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davispigeon
Yob culture there vs gun culture here. Both are awful.
This is true. However, I'd say that yob culture is more or less ubiquitous in the UK whereas gun culture can be avoided if you're careful about where in the States you live.

Of course, we can't ever completely ignore the possibility of gun violence, but then we also can't completely ignore the possibility of being stabbed at a bus stop in the UK.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

*cough* impeachment *cough* ....
In your dreams!

Do you have any idea what it takes to impeach?

The Republicans couldn't impeach Clinton when they controlled the House and Senate, so there is ZERO chance that President Trump could be impeached in the first two years. Then there would have to be a major swing in both chambers in 2018, and the Democrats would have to almost sweep the Senate elections to get the 67 seats they would need to actually carry an impeachment vote in the Senate. And that assumes that he even does something that is impeachable, but despite what the media would have you believe, you don't get to be a billionaire of you're an idiot.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:50 am.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
.... If employment and wages rise (because of Trump or in spite of him) the chances of a second term are pretty high.
All he needs to do is improve things in PA, MI, OH, WI, IA, FL, and NC, and hold things together in the rest of the country and nobody would be able to touch him.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:34 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In your dreams!
I didn't say it was likely, nor that I wanted it to happen. Personally, I think Pence would be a whole lot worse (although given that Trump only appears to be in it for the photo ops and the power trip, it's highly likely that this will end up being a Pence presidency anyway. But I digress...). However, it's a possibility and therefore 4 years is not the very least time.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

In your dreams!

Do you have any idea what it takes to impeach?

The Republicans couldn't impeach Clinton when they controlled the House and Senate, so there is ZERO chance that President Trump could be impeached in the first two years. Then there would have to be a major swing in both chambers in 2018, and the Democrats would have to almost sweep the Senate elections to get the 67 seats they would need to actually carry an impeachment vote in the Senate. And that assumes that he even does something that is impeachable, but despite what the media would have you believe, you don't get to be a billionaire of you're an idiot.
Clinton was impeached by the House and then found not guilty in his trial in the Senate.

As long as Trump keeps Republicans sweet on social issues, i can't see the House impeaching him.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say it was likely, nor that I wanted it to happen. Personally, I think Pence would be a whole lot worse (although given that Trump only appears to be in it for the photo ops and the power trip, it's highly likely that this will end up being a Pence presidency anyway. But I digress...). However, it's a possibility and therefore 4 years is not the very least time.
It's also possible that he dies in office. He's 70 and borderline obese. Being president is pretty darned stressful for anyone let along someone with those characteristics.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

despite what the media would have you believe, you don't get to be a billionaire of you're an idiot.
No - you get to be one if your dad gives you an eye-wateringly shedload of money and all the social and business connections that can be bought. It helps if you're also doing this during a 50+ year post-war boom in the only major economy left standing after a devasting global war; it probably doesn't hurt if you're also only have to compete against a small minority of the population for power and position because women/ people of color/ Jewish people, etc weren't even on the playing field. He hardly bootstrapped his way up through native wit; it would have been almost impossible to not succeed in his circumstances.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Do you think that President Barack Obama did an "absolutely brilliant" job in his first four years?
President WHO??????????????????????
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:07 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You can judge someone by their friends......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-donald-trump
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Transatlantic_chap, are you going to move countries every time an election or referendum gives up a result you disagree with? That is going to be very expensive and very disruptive to your career. Trump is a Republican and Obama was a Democrat, but before Obama there was another Republican, and before that another Democrat, and before that another Republican. The pendulum swings back and forth. Just like how in the UK the Tories are in office now but Labour had a long run before that and the Tories before that.

I concur with some of the other posters who believe the impact of Trump on your day-to-day life in the US will be minimal. And I say that as someone who voted for Clinton and then Obama twice before. The sun came up and will continue to come up.

You did not indicate you have significant business or family ties to the Continent so I am guessing Brexit will have minimal effect on you as well. You will still have full access to Europe for holidays and travel.

Sorry but I think it is a really bad idea to base a continental move on the political whims and headlines of the day. Consider what is best for your family, what is best for you economically, and what is best for your career and make the decision based on those things. In my view Trump and Brexit should be way down the list.

PS Giantaxe, you are correct, "impeach" just means to accuse, after an impeachment there is the trial. Clinton was acquitted by the Senate but even if convicted they needed 67 votes to remove him which was widely believed at the time to be impossible since it would have required a large number of Democrats to also vote for conviction. It was pure political theatre.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Transatlantic_chap, are you going to move countries every time an election or referendum gives up a result you disagree with? That is going to be very expensive and very disruptive to your career. Trump is a Republican and Obama was a Democrat, but before Obama there was another Republican, and before that another Democrat, and before that another Republican. The pendulum swings back and forth. Just like how in the UK the Tories are in office now but Labour had a long run before that and the Tories before that.

I concur with some of the other posters who believe the impact of Trump on your day-to-day life in the US will be minimal. And I say that as someone who voted for Clinton and then Obama twice before. The sun came up and will continue to come up.

You did not indicate you have significant business or family ties to the Continent so I am guessing Brexit will have minimal effect on you as well. You will still have full access to Europe for holidays and travel.

Sorry but I think it is a really bad idea to base a continental move on the political whims and headlines of the day. Consider what is best for your family, what is best for you economically, and what is best for your career and make the decision based on those things. In my view Trump and Brexit should be way down the list.

PS Giantaxe, you are correct, "impeach" just means to accuse, after an impeachment there is the trial. Clinton was acquitted by the Senate but even if convicted they needed 67 votes to remove him which was widely believed at the time to be impossible since it would have required a large number of Democrats to also vote for conviction. It was pure political theatre.

Well they could move to Inishturk:-)
https://vimeo.com/172273624

Looking To Escape Donald Trump? This Irish Island Welcomes You | The Huffington Post
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Either your head is on upside down, or you're living an alternative universe.

The BBC is reporting that the government cannot proceed with Brexit until parliament was voted to approve it.
and some MP's and refusing to abide by the 3 line whip. They would rather resign.

This is what happens when you don't play by the rules.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
Not quite... it would also have taken two thirds to convict. There's no distinction between votes needed to convict and votes needed to remove the president from office.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 26th 2017 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

At very least four years. .... At very most, eight!
I wonder how long it will take before they attempt to change the limits? He's already talking about what he will do in years 5-8....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.