British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Breavement Airfares (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/breavement-airfares-723853/)

AZ_Alba Jul 6th 2011 4:09 pm

Breavement Airfares

Does anyone know what documentation American Airlines needs for Compassion/Bereavement airfares?

BA stopped doing them due abuse of the system but referred us to American as their partner airline.

Could use BA miles at short notice, otherwise if less than seven days the ticket in economy would be close to $4000 plus taxes on BA.

What other airlines have Compassion/Bereavement airfares?

I do not need to fly yet, but I expect to have go back at short notice within the next six months so would like to know my options.

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Breavement Airfares

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean (Post 9479066)
Does anyone know what documentation American Airlines needs for Compassion/Bereavement airfares?

BA stopped doing them due abuse of the system but referred us to American as their partner airline.

Could use BA miles at short notice, otherwise if less than seven days the ticket in economy would be close to $4000 plus taxes on BA.

What other airlines have Compassion/Bereavement airfares?

I do not need to fly yet, but I expect to have go back at short notice within the next six months so would like to know my options.

Continental do...10 to 20% I think...depending on whether you're flying econ or bus class. You need a letter from the doctor or death certificate...if you send it in after you return they will refund the money.

Bob Jul 6th 2011 5:21 pm

Call the airline, they're all different. Usually doc's note, or death cert faxed in.

Try Virgin?

Brat1 Jul 6th 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah, I've done this a couple of times for families back home. I just faxed them the death certificate with a covering letter stating that we were carrying out the funeral of such and such and that their family needed to return to the UK. As for the discount, I can't help you there, sorry. Sorry for your loss and hope that you get something sorted out quickly. :wub:

Egg and Cress Jul 6th 2011 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9479192)
Continental do...10 to 20% I think...depending on whether you're flying econ or bus class. You need a letter from the doctor or death certificate...if you send it in after you return they will refund the money.

My EPH had to go back suddenly a few years ago - Continental was the ONLY one willing to offer a bereavement fare - took a copy of the death certificate with him, offered it, but they said, "naw, that's ok" and off he flew! Big soft spot for Continental in our hearts now. Not to mention how rude the customer service people were at the other airlines! He's probably going to have to fly in the next few months for the same reason and, no doubt, will go Continental. Good luck and best wishes. :)

Ash UK/US Jul 6th 2011 8:38 pm

When my mum passed away on Thanksgiving Day 5 years ago we looked online at all the usuals for prices we found nothing less that $9000 for 3 of us at short notice, we called Northwest (as it was then) and they gave use $3000 for 3 of us.

My dad passed away in March of this year :( I called Delta to see what they could do for us as a bereavment fare, they were quoting us about $500 more than we got on Expedia. So we took the Expedia tickets... the only difference is that with the Expedia price you pay if you need to change your dates/flights with a bereavment fare you do not.

When my mum died we had to provide the name, address, tele# of the funeral director and the name of the doctor and the hospital that she died in. We were told when we got the quote for my dad that we would have to provide that too.

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2011 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 9479619)
When my mum passed away on Thanksgiving Day 5 years ago we looked online at all the usuals for prices we found nothing less that $9000 for 3 of us at short notice, we called Northwest (as it was then) and they gave use $3000 for 3 of us.

My dad passed away in March of this year :( I called Delta to see what they could do for us as a bereavment fare, they were quoting us about $500 more than we got on Expedia. So we took the Expedia tickets... the only difference is that with the Expedia price you pay if you need to change your dates/flights with a bereavment fare you do not.

When my mum died we had to provide the name, address, tele# of the funeral director and the name of the doctor and the hospital that she died in. We were told when we got the quote for my dad that we would have to provide that too.

Continental asked for all those details too. When mum died I just couldn't be bothered...

dinosaur Jul 7th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9479640)
Continental asked for all those details too. When mum died I just couldn't be bothered...

Know the feeling.

When I was in the same circumstances, Virgin could discount 10%, but you apply retrospectively. I really couldn't be bothered, given the bigger picture.

The full fare was around $1100 in August last year. Since I didn't make the claim, I'm not sure whether the 10% includes taxes/surcharges....my assumption is that it doesn't and would be off the fare portion only.

lansbury Jul 8th 2011 4:51 am

When we needed to fly for MIL funeral a few years back, United charged us at the cheapest rate that had been available for an economy fare for that flight. They then issued us business class return tickets.