Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Breakfast In America!

Breakfast In America!

Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:22 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Breakfast In America!

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
A poached egg (making sure it isn't overdone!) is great on top of some buttered smoked haddock
Damm you, I have a craving for this now.................
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Do you live in some sort of Twilight Zone? Poached eggs are a very common breakfast food in the US, I always order them when I am out because I always make a huge mess when trying to do them myself at home.

You probably only get weird looks because you ordered something not on the menu, and it's a pain for them to work out how much to charge. Tip them well when they make an attempt, next time they'll try harder when you are being awkward.
My method-boiling water, drop in the egg. Turn off heat and push down toaster. Toast done, butter, put egg on and then a glob of butter and Bob's your uncle. My mother had one of those pan things with the little cups in them to put egg in, but I can't be bothered.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live in some sort of Twilight Zone? Poached eggs are a very common breakfast food in the US, I always order them when I am out because I always make a huge mess when trying to do them myself at home.

You probably only get weird looks because you ordered something not on the menu, and it's a pain for them to work out how much to charge. Tip them well when they make an attempt, next time they'll try harder when you are being awkward.
Well I live in Humboldt Northern California......its not the eggs and the toast which is the issue - its the plonking the eggs onto the toast

(I cant believe im actually writing about egg on toast! I need to get out and sell some Mary Kay....)
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of...getting to a peeve about menu's having weird named food items and not having great/any descriptions again. Was in a breakfast diner, ordered my breakfast and didn't see anything for one scrambled egg, for the little one, there was only options of 3 eggs. I got charged double the cost of the regular eggs, if I'd had known, I'd have just eaten or chucked 2/3 of the breakfast.

Oh well....but yeah, don't see poached eggs very much down this way, but did up in Maine a fair bit, usually eggs benedict though.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:57 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
eggs benedict
Now I used to love eggs benedict, but breakfast at a French place has ruined it for me; their Oeufs en Meurette were amazing.
(poached eggs served on garlic croutons with pearl onions, bacon and champignons in red wine foie gras sauce, with pommes frites)
Even the chips were great.

Cafe Campagne in Seattle
menu