Bread!

Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:54 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bread!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What a waste of good chocolate ..... and a waste of bacon (note, not "good" bacon - I'm assuming it's American bacon. )

You know you've been living in America too long when ......
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Is it only white bread that is the problem? I always eat the brown/wheat stuff and have never found it too sweet. I get the bread without fructose corn syrup. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problems with bread.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:46 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
Is it only white bread that is the problem? I always eat the brown/wheat stuff and have never found it too sweet. I get the bread without fructose corn syrup. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problems with bread.
A lot of so-called "brown" bread in the US is really white bread with bran and coloring added back in, often with molasses or raisin syrup. When I was a kid, people used to hate the taste of "wheat" bread because it tasted too plain. The usual response of commercial food producers is to enhance the flavor, and enhancing it toward either salty/savory or sweet is the usual method. Salty bread wouldn't go over very well, so the bread got sweetened to make it more palatable to people used to bland, sweet white bread.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Trader Joe's do a wholewheat loaf which is OK but still sweeter than I'd like. The default setting for more or less everything here is sweet, I find.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Speedwell
A lot of so-called "brown" bread in the US is really white bread with bran and coloring added back in, often with molasses or raisin syrup. When I was a kid, people used to hate the taste of "wheat" bread because it tasted too plain. The usual response of commercial food producers is to enhance the flavor, and enhancing it toward either salty/savory or sweet is the usual method. Salty bread wouldn't go over very well, so the bread got sweetened to make it more palatable to people used to bland, sweet white bread.
Eek, so how do I know if the bread I'm eating is really white bread? The one I'm currently eating is organic. Top ingredients - organic whole wheat flour. It's called one from Costco called 'Organic Seeds and Grain'. I always get one with nuts or grains and shizz, never plain brown bread.

(Ooooh, post 444!)
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:12 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Eek, so how do I know if the bread I'm eating is really white bread? The one I'm currently eating is organic. Top ingredients - organic whole wheat flour. It's called one from Costco called 'Organic Seeds and Grain'. I always get one with nuts or grains and shizz, never plain brown bread.

(Ooooh, post 444!)
That should be OK; it says rather straightforwardly "whole wheat flour". Check what other kinds of flours, starches, and "dough conditioners" it may or may not have, as well.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

tanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nicetanith is just really nice

My other half eats sweet white bread with a slice of baloney and a slice of processed cheese for lunch every single day.... it's not the best combination
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you're describing as "brown" bread, but I noted earlier in this thread that several whole grain loaves by Nature's Own, Arnold's and others that have no, or very little, added sugar that don't taste sweet and don't taste of fruit and nuts - they just taste of bread.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:15 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, IMO it's MOSTLY the cheaper supermarket white breads that are the problem. But the cheaper supermarket brown/wheat stuff can also have HFCS in it, varying amounts. Once you find a non-sweet bread you like and stick to that, it's fine. But I've found it's dangerous to try a new & unknown brand of bread, especially if it's inexpensive.

Bakery bread is usually better, as are breads labeled "artisan" (whatever that means ), but whew! they can be pricey! I was given a breadmaker as a gift and in only a few months it's transformed our lives, as well as saved us lots of dosh. Big bread-eaters here in this house!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, IMO it's MOSTLY the cheaper supermarket white breads that are the problem. But the cheaper supermarket brown/wheat stuff can also have HFCS in it, varying amounts. Once you find a non-sweet bread you like and stick to that, it's fine. But I've found it's dangerous to try a new & unknown brand of bread, especially if it's inexpensive.

Bakery bread is usually better, as are breads labeled "artisan" (whatever that means ), but whew! they can be pricey! I was given a breadmaker as a gift and in only a few months it's transformed our lives, as well as saved us lots of dosh. Big bread-eaters here in this house!
I agree, bread machine bread tastes so much nicer. The trouble is, I can't stop eating it and my waistline doesn't like that so much. But store-bought Italian bread is a good substitute. Arnolds is my go-to for kids lunches, breakfasts.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not sure what you're describing as "brown" bread, but I noted earlier in this thread that several whole grain loaves by Nature's Own, Arnold's and others that have no, or very little, added sugar that don't taste sweet and don't taste of fruit and nuts - they just taste of bread.
Yeah, think I made a mistake, I never buy 'brown' bread. It's always wheat or grain or something.

I think the variety of American bread that is available is a refreshing change from the bread that I got used to in Japan. Very little choice and it was all white and very sweet. So maybe that's why I can't tell the difference.

I do remember coming to American on a school trip and found that I couldn't eat sandwiches then, well they were hogies, but they were disgusting. Can't remember why, perhaps it was the bread or it may have been the ingredients. Bleugh.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not just in white supermarket bread, ( we don't like white bread) if you look at the back of the packet of most supposedly healthy, wholemeal bread you will find either sugar/ honey/ high fructose corn syrup. In one horrific example I actually found all three.

Even Wholefoods, who are certainly not cheap, are adding honey to their bread. While honey may be a natural sweetener, I don't want it in my bread, it just makes it taste far too sweet.

I have been buying bread from the baker section since starting this thread, mostly Italian or Rye, and have found it much better. However, my older daughter is still refusing to eat it, so I fear I'm in for buying a bread maker.

Also, I find the milk very sweet here too! Surely they don't put sugar in that too?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to Jan Alaska for this:
1tsp dry yeast
1tsp sugar
1tsp flour
Mix with a small amount of warm water and wait for it to froth
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt .. ish
add the yeast mix to the flour and add water until the dough is soft and gooey. I mix mine in my kitchenaid mixer then give it a quick knead and put it to rise in a bread tin. Once its risen level with the top I bake for @ 25-30mins @ 370.
Easy as chips and much nicer than commercial bread
Made some today and it was so easy....this will become my go to bread mix..
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Suz16
The problem is not just in white supermarket bread, ( we don't like white bread) if you look at the back of the packet of most supposedly healthy, wholemeal bread you will find either sugar/ honey/ high fructose corn syrup. In one horrific example I actually found all three.

Even Wholefoods, who are certainly not cheap, are adding honey to their bread. While honey may be a natural sweetener, I don't want it in my bread, it just makes it taste far too sweet.

I have been buying bread from the baker section since starting this thread, mostly Italian or Rye, and have found it much better. However, my older daughter is still refusing to eat it, so I fear I'm in for buying a bread maker.

Also, I find the milk very sweet here too! Surely they don't put sugar in that too?
I don't find any difference between the whole milk I get in Houston and the whole milk I got in Aberdeen. If you are buying skim or part-skim milk, it will be sweeter than whole milk generally because the proportion of lactose and galactose is higher in proportion to the total volume. The cows' diet has more to do with it than you may think, too; when I was a college student at a school known for its large animal veterinary and agricultural program, the milk supplied to the school cafe tasted significantly different from supermarket milk and I thought it tasted "funny". A farmboy friend told me that "funny" taste was the taste of "healthy" milk.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:37 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suz16

When my children were young (raised in the US), and I took them on trips to England, they didn't like some of the food that was served to them - it tasted different. Too much salt in the bread, didn't like orange squash, didn't like cucumber sandwiches, didn't like butter on their bread. Guess what - they soon learned to eat it when they weren't given an array of different choices. I didn't run around trying to please them with this and that. Within a few days they would get used to it and forget about the differences. Kids will whine as long as you cater to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.