Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bralian family intends to sue police

Originally Posted by Manc
Only if you're wearing a coat and running

suicide bomber behavouir that is.

Sh*t! I always wear a coat in Blighty -- so freakin' cold! Don't usually run, though so I may be okay.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
That's unfair (and bordering on offensive to the family) and you know it.
If a close relative of yours visiting New York was overpowered and shot seven times in the head by the NYPD when he hadn't committed any crime other than overstaying his visa and then doing a runner when confronted by armed men in plain clothes yelling at him, are you saying you wouldn't sue? Get real.
If my relative was buzzing the White House in his light plane the day after 9/11, then I would say he got what he had coming.

But I am sure I would sue as well!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

The interesting thing about this case is that the major point of claim will be lost income from his working in the UK illegally.

I do not know the law on this, assuming it would have some court precedent, akin to suing for lost criminal income?

Against public policy?

Anyone know?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Maybe people, if they decide to run, should carry large placards that state "I'm not a terrorist" perhaps that might help to single them out a bit better.
That's just it though... He shouldn't have run!!!!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:27 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Like you wouldn't be angry in their situation?
At least try and empathize.
I'd be angry but I'd also be rational. I would not be talking about suing while my relative was still lying in the morgue. I'd bury them, take time to grieve and then maybe talk about lawsuits.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

If I put myself in the policeman's shoes, I can't say I would have done anything different given the evidence that is available so far.

The guy made the mistake of running into the tube station after he was asked to stop, which made the police think he might have been a suicide bomber who was therefore an immedaite threat to the public; the police made the correct decision with the information they had at the time.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbickle
I'd be angry but I'd also be rational. I would not be talking about suing while my relative was still lying in the morgue. I'd bury them, take time to grieve and then maybe talk about lawsuits.
You may not have the same priorities.

Obviously you do not.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Do you think that on any day prior to September 11th or the London Bombings he would have been shot?

There is an understandably increased level of security in London at this time. The police know that there is a cell of prospective suicide bombers operating in London... They are still on the loose!

If a random guy was killed for just running from the police on any other day, I would say that there was a cause for serious outcry. Even another argument for British Police not carrying firearms!

We now know that he ran because his visa had expired... The policemen who confronted him last Friday AM did not have the luxury of knowing that. They were operating on intelligence found on the scene of one of the previous days attempted bombs. They had to make a decision based on what they knew at the time.

Hindsight has 20-20 vision.
Hear! Hear! It is all too easy for those of us not there so say we would have reacted differently than the police given the same circumstances. There was a POSSIBILITY that hundreds of people were going to be killed or injured! Good Lord! What were the police supposed to do? Let the man run? They were trying to protect the public. There is no question that this man's death is very sad and my heart goes out to his family, but the police should not be sued.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Sh*t! I always wear a coat in Blighty -- so freakin' cold! Don't usually run, though so I may be okay.
Can you jumpa an Underground ticket barrier.

Presumptive of me, sort of assuming no!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:32 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

so what law was changed since July 7th.
in order that allows police to kill people

show me that link first.
There was no law change.....police could shot to kill since 1967......BBC news....go look that link up there..........
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
There was no law change.....police could shot to kill since 1967......BBC news....go look that link up there..........
I tried to find it, I couldn't get past the page where the Prime Minister was apologising that an innocent man was shot dead by the police.

If it's ok to shoot people now,
why is he sorry?

Last edited by Manc; Jul 25th 2005 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:45 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The interesting thing about this case is that the major point of claim will be lost income from his working in the UK illegally.

I do not know the law on this, assuming it would have some court precedent, akin to suing for lost criminal income?

Against public policy?

Anyone know?
Is it a crime to work illegally anymore..........is it a crime to carry a bomb on London transport.......is it a crime to entre a country without a visa.....answers on a post card to.....I Don't care because I don't used the subway house.....I'm too posh to have illegals live near me street...lala land..PC4E 666...
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

If it's ok to shoot people now,
why is he sorry?
If I accidentally ran over a persons cat in my car, I'd apologise to the owners of the cat.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a crime to work illegally anymore..........is it a crime to carry a bomb on London transport.......is it a crime to entre a country without a visa.....answers on a post card to.....I Don't care because I don't used the subway house.....I'm too posh to have illegals live near me street...lala land..PC4E 666...
How quickly people forget the Stalker enquiry.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

And people doing the bombings play on the idea that we are better than that..!...and that..I believe is our downfall.....its why we are sitting targets........its why more and more people will die on their way to work in London....NewYork.....anywhere.......because we are so nice....its not evil to try to save people from being blown up.....its just sad that the first time this happens its some dozy sod who had to run into a subway and not the park the day after a bomb attack........

How much collateral damage is acceptable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.