Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Bout ready for screaming

Wikiposts

'Bout ready for screaming

Old Apr 16th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy 'Bout ready for screaming

I think I should have stayed in bed today - having problems now with the tenant moving into my house - everything is sorted, lease signed etc and how she has had a "bit of a hitch" and is coming over tomorrow to discuss it with me. Great.

Amongst countless other things, I fell down ladders and twisted my ankle this morning, the pet place have now sent the wrong airline carriers for the second time and they are on their way back to them again, my mother still wont speak to me and to top it all looks like no way the visa is going to be here in time (that part is my own fault I know) - the online tracking service is still saying number isn't recognized mean it is still in processing. I've called the airline to ask about changing them again and I can do - as long as it is minimum 24 hours notice, so I will have to change by Tuesday morning (early) and I guess the visa could still come - tho if I check Monday night and is still says in processing then I guess obviously it isn't coming. I have no idea how up to date and accurate their system is - but it says they wont even answer any queries until 15 working days have passed since your interview - I know last Thursday the lady definitely told me 5 days - but anyways not a lot I can do now except hope - I know that my employers are at best going to be seriously pissed off if I am not there by the end of next week and at worst are not going to wait any longer.

I sure need to go and get a or 10! Okay vent over.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Probably should have mentioned this earlier... the tracking on ours never came online... it always told us the package was not in their system... our VISA's arrived totally out of the blue on the tuesday after a week or so.

Your company might not be happy with the VISA process... but thinking about it for 10seconds they should realise that any delays are not your fault.

hope things go well with your tenant.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

lesley my mother stopped talking to me when I told her I was moving to the US. It only lasted a couple of months, although it felt like a year. Shes back to normal now phoning me and nagging me about stuff. One last hurdle is to get her to visit, she thinks the whole of the US is like the movies (gangs n violence etc) plus she says the flight is too long (6 1/2 hours London to Detroit) *sigh* just have to take little steps.

Good luck with your visa and move

Jan
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:27 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jan_michigan
One last hurdle is to get her to visit, she thinks the whole of the US is like the movies (gangs n violence etc) plus she says the flight is too long (6 1/2 hours London to Detroit) *sigh* just have to take little steps.

Good luck with your visa and move

Jan
Don't suppose she'd come with a companion? My MIL would love someone to pal up with en route. She flies over about three times a year on British Airways.

They could chat about how evil we all are moving away -6.5 hours'd pass in no time!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Bout ready for screaming

Originally posted by Lesley1020
I think I should have stayed in bed today - having problems now with the tenant moving into my house - everything is sorted, lease signed etc and how she has had a "bit of a hitch" and is coming over tomorrow to discuss it with me. Great.

Amongst countless other things, I fell down ladders and twisted my ankle this morning, the pet place have now sent the wrong airline carriers for the second time and they are on their way back to them again, my mother still wont speak to me and to top it all looks like no way the visa is going to be here in time (that part is my own fault I know) - the online tracking service is still saying number isn't recognized mean it is still in processing. I've called the airline to ask about changing them again and I can do - as long as it is minimum 24 hours notice, so I will have to change by Tuesday morning (early) and I guess the visa could still come - tho if I check Monday night and is still says in processing then I guess obviously it isn't coming. I have no idea how up to date and accurate their system is - but it says they wont even answer any queries until 15 working days have passed since your interview - I know last Thursday the lady definitely told me 5 days - but anyways not a lot I can do now except hope - I know that my employers are at best going to be seriously pissed off if I am not there by the end of next week and at worst are not going to wait any longer.

I sure need to go and get a or 10! Okay vent over.
When I came over in Jan 2001, the same thing happened. Ended up losing out on my first ticket (nonrefundable - about 600 quid). But as far as employers go, if they have any experience with visas, they'll understand if you end up arriving a bit late, as I did - by about 2 weeks. Someone else had to teach my classes for the first 2 weeks of the semester. Sh*t happens and if your colleagues are worth their salt they'll just do without you until you get there.

Easy to say, but try not to get aggravated. When you are in the middle of it, it seems like everything is going wrong and it's easy to get upset. But in hindsight it'll fade into insignificance. In 6 months you'll be all settled into the US and this part will seem like light years away.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm Monster now theres an idea, I'll run it past her when we speak next. Shes already declined visiting when the kids do but then the house does get a bit hectic then !

Thanks for the thought

Jan
Old Apr 17th 2004, 12:26 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Then we could get to meet at DTW!
Old Apr 17th 2004, 1:56 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by monster
Don't suppose she'd come with a companion? My MIL would love someone to pal up with en route. She flies over about three times a year on British Airways.

They could chat about how evil we all are moving away -6.5 hours'd pass in no time!
Your mother in law comes over 3 times a year????????????????
Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:34 pm
Winter hyphenator

Yup.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:35 pm
Winter hyphenator

Yup.

Cheaper to fly her over than go back en masse.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:42 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Cheaper to fly her over than go back en masse.
Bet you never run out of english teabags etc.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:40 am
Winter hyphenator

Originally posted by kazzuk
Bet you never run out of english teabags etc.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bit late getting back to this thread (as usual) I spoke to mum this morning and kind of suggested that she could do with a companion to fly over with and she said "Hmmmm" I didnt quite catch if this was a good Hmmm or a bad Hmmm but it wasnt a NO !! Shes off to Greece with her girlie mates at the end of the month so i'll try my trump card then .. "if you can sit on a plane for 3 1/2 hours to Greece why not 6 1/2 to Detroit ?"

Try, try and try again

Jan
Old Apr 18th 2004, 8:36 am
Winter hyphenator

You know where I am if you need me....