British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bouncing in to say hi!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bouncing-say-hi-589787/)

bouncingtigger Feb 8th 2009 1:05 pm

Re: Bouncing in to say hi!!

Thanks for all that... a lot of bedtime reading but it'll certainly help....

It wouldn't be a one way move as such to begin with. We would still have property over here that would be rented out, and we would then rent over there. Once we were sure of an area then we would look to buy property.

We have talked about emigrating to the US for a while. We have both spent time out there, and hubby has worked over there. Friends have also emigrated with work, and while it has been hard, they have certainly not regretted the move. Plus my family originate from Canada so Cleveland would be ideal to visit extended family.

In the climate that we're in, property is just not selling over here at the moment so in a way it acts as a safety net for us.

Depending on the type of visa, we would not be able to come over until Oct/Nov.....

The requirement for the L1 visa is that hubby will need to have been employed at the company that is sponsoring for at least a year.... This will be the case 1st November..... If they decide on on H1B visa then it would be a start date of Oct 1st....

Ozzidoc Feb 8th 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bouncingtigger (Post 7262959)

Depending on the type of visa, we would not be able to come over until Oct/Nov.....

The requirement for the L1 visa is that hubby will need to have been employed at the company that is sponsoring for at least a year.... This will be the case 1st November..... If they decide on on H1B visa then it would be a start date of Oct 1st....

Going on recent past experience, hubby's US company will need to have the H1B application submitted into the lottery ON 1st April.....all H1B visas will be gone by end of first week in April, for an October start.

Ray Feb 8th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7262968)
Going on recent past experience, hubby's US company will need to have the H1B application submitted into the lottery ON 1st April.....all H1B visas will be gone by end of first week in April, for an October start.

I don't think that will happen this year ...

Ozzidoc Feb 8th 2009 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7262997)
I don't think that will happen this year ...

Verdad? Por que? = Really? Why?

Ray Feb 8th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7263029)
Verdad? Por que?

Rule 16

meauxna Feb 8th 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7263029)
Verdad? Por que? = Really? Why?

Porque no one tiene money for hiring and sponsoring?

The reason H-1B became a lottery recently is that there are a fixed number of visas. In the first several years, the cap was not met. Now, that visa got very popular and these d&#%m contractor companies snatch them up so they can dump people over here to maybe work for them. The whole category got sort of abused.
But with fewer companies willing to foot the costs and perhaps fewer people willing to move country.... It will be interesting to see how this year's April 1 goes.

JAJ Feb 8th 2009 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by bouncingtigger (Post 7262959)

You may not want to think about green card at this stage, but don't assume that the pathway will be easy or simple. And it's usually better to know the details beforehand.

bouncingtigger Feb 9th 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7263849)
You may not want to think about green card at this stage, but don't assume that the pathway will be easy or simple. And it's usually better to know the details beforehand.

Oh definitely not assuming the journey is going to be easy.... we would prefer them to apply for the L1 visa but as hubby has not worked for the company for a year, I know this won't be possible yet. I've also seen how long the visa process can be, not just a case of fill out a form and wait...

We are prepared for worst case scenario, and it will be very disappointing. However, the way I see it is we are still young and as the main office is US based, they will know the process and so I'm happy to leave it in their capable hands... and in the meanwhile I'll do my homework on the rest of it...

Manc Feb 9th 2009 7:22 am

the only advice I can give, is bring a coat.

bouncingtigger Feb 9th 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7265514)
the only advice I can give, is bring a coat.

:lol: will do! along with my thermals!!

Quick question...... what do you guys use your basements for? Always been curious....

tamms_1965 Feb 9th 2009 10:16 am

Originally Posted by bouncingtigger (Post 7265667)

Quick question...... what do you guys use your basements for? Always been curious....

Some people use it as living space. My house is old so I use my for storage with built in shelves. The furnace, water heater, puppy palace, etc. are also there.

Dodgykeeps Feb 9th 2009 12:12 pm

We use ours mainly as a playroom for the kids - got the Wii down there and most of their toys. There was a pool table there when we moved in so I'm down there every now and then!:thumbsup:

lisa67 Feb 9th 2009 12:39 pm

when we were in MI we were lucky to have a fully fitted basement. 3 rooms..big screen room, games room (air hockey table etc.) and a storage room and a small bathroom. great space...miss it SO much :(

Bob Feb 9th 2009 11:54 pm

for catching diseases....it's a mold, manky, shit pit....also where I do the laundry....it also floods every time there is a sniffle of rain or melting snow....love the landlord for sorting that out for us...

meauxna Feb 10th 2009 5:08 pm

The basement is an evil, crap collecting, dust generating Black Hole that I wouldn't do without. :)