Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bottled Water - do you?

View Poll Results: Do you do bottled water?
Yes, Evian and Arrowhead for me!
43.33%
I own (rent) a big machine - constant H20
13.33%
Tap Water, it's the only way to go - what's bottled water?
43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Bottled Water - do you?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 5:03 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
well, maybe not at Walgreens, but there are Oxygen Bars

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/602_air.html

http://www.sfstation.com/bars/2202/
Tried one of those in Vegas, mainly because a) the 'package' included a young cheerleader type dispensing back rubs and head massages at the same time, b) it was my birthday, and c)the wife paid!! The back/headrub were nice, but the oxygen - to be honest, it could have been ordinary air with smell added for all I could tell..
Old Jun 26th 2004, 6:26 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
buying soil to make a flowerbed.

Old Jun 26th 2004, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bottled Water - do you?

Originally posted by ScousePete
As a kid growing up, tap water was just fine, but later on in life (maybe it was the India incident ) I have switched to bottled water. So much so, that we own a machine (5 gallon thingie)

What do you do?
We had a new meter tapped into the main water line at the street and replaced the typical rusty, leaky galvanized pipe with european PEX meter to house where it runs copper. Our water is as clean as the city provides.

We also installed a cartridge filtered tap.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:38 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jaytee
We had a new meter tapped into the main water line at the street and replaced the typical rusty, leaky galvanized pipe with european PEX meter to house where it runs copper. Our water is as clean as the city provides.

We also installed a cartridge filtered tap.
No problem with the tap water here. Comes from the lake.

"The water in Lake Tahoe is 99.7 percent pure, about the same as distilled water. It's so clear that a white dinner plate can be seen at 75 feet below the surface."

http://www.bluelaketahoe.com/media/facts.php
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Boulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to all

I am in the UK and never touch the tap water, it is disgusting where I live. Evain bottled water for me.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I thougoughly rely on bottled water. However rather than a five gallon machine, i prefer the portable 12 ounce containers. Here in Louisiana it's called Budweiser!!!! hee hee hee

Originally posted by ScousePete
As a kid growing up, tap water was just fine, but later on in life (maybe it was the India incident ) I have switched to bottled water. So much so, that we own a machine (5 gallon thingie)

What do you do?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

FYI...

Your local tapwater cannot support life because in all probability it contains chlorine as a biocide. Let the water stand for 24 hour or buy dechlorinator for your fish water.

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
You mean the kids pee in your tap water?

We use bottled - those 2.5 gallon dispenser things - ever since we found out that the reason our kids goldfish kept dying was because the local tapwater can't support fish life.....
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its all just cleaned up tap water...lol.

Originally posted by sibsie
I had to drink bottled water when I lived in Spain and haven't drunk tap water since. The only stuff I won't touch is Dansini which is Coca Coca's offering and is just cleaned up tap water.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

I just, this weekend, put one of those Pur filter things on the tap and the difference is incredible. The water tasted so metallic and chemical before - it's hard to detect any real aftertaste at all now.
Got fed up buying bottled water, which is why I bought the Pur thing.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:50 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

FYI:

Arsenic in Ground-Water Resources of the United States

Arsenic concentrations appear to be lower in the Southeast, based on a smaller amount of data.
Good for me then
Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

We've got one of those Brita pitchers with a filter in it, which we fill up from the tap and stick in the fridge. It seems to work pretty well.

By itself, the tap water is pretty rank, but is OK for making tea and coffee.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
FYI...

Your local tapwater cannot support life because in all probability it contains chlorine as a biocide. Let the water stand for 24 hour or buy dechlorinator for your fish water.

We let the tank stand for 7 days before putting fish in - prefer to let everything settle down first. And believe me, we added ALL the dechlroinators, ammonia removal, blah de blah de blah....it didn't work - all the time we were claiming on our "2 weeks life guarantees" from the petshops - the tap water is crap! The guys at the petshop actually laughed when they found out we were trying to clean up the tap water - They thought we were using the chemicals on the bottled water !!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Our tap water tastes OK to me... it comes from Lake Michigan.

Ash
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Our tap water tastes OK to me... it comes from Lake Michigan.

Ash