Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bottle/Can Deposits?

Bottle/Can Deposits?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bottle/Can Deposits?

Massachusetts lawmakers are considering updates to state's bottle bill that would expand deposit fees to non-carbonated beverages, including water, iced tea, juice, and sports drinks.
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/bu...on-more-drinks

So those with the deposit, what do you think of it? Those who don't, would you want to see them or not?

In MA, it's basically a tax because they make it so hard to redeem the deposit, got to return the empty cans to the store you bought them from, limited to a small number at a time etc.

Compared to Maine, where nearly everything had a deposit, but so many places open, everywhere to redeem that it was so easy that it was worth doing.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:16 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bottle/Can Deposits?

We don't have deposits in TN. We ought to. The number of broken bottles that lay around the sides of roads here is terrible.

If nothing else a deposit law would ensure that our local tramps would make all those bottles disappear into their shopping carts. You rarely see a can around because they have a value.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We have it here in Oregon. Just about to up the deposit and include a lot more drink containers in the scheme. Also going towards recycling centers where you take the stuff back and not to the stores.
As far as I'm concerned it is a great idea, makes sure the stuff gets recycled.

Next up is Milwaukie joining Portland and banning single use plastic bags from grocery stores. Bring your own bag or paper only.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:30 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
got to return the empty cans to the store you bought them from
How do they know, do you need to keep the receipt? if so, thats just crazy.

I seem to remember as a kid, that you just took bottles back when you were getting new ones, and it was a kids way of increasing the pocket money.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 View Post
We don't have deposits in TN. We ought to. The number of broken bottles that lay around the sides of roads here is terrible.

If nothing else a deposit law would ensure that our local tramps would make all those bottles disappear into their shopping carts. You rarely see a can around because they have a value.
Agree 100%. Our local Keep TN Beautiful chapter has adopted a county road, and picks up litter once a month. It is amazing how many bottles we pick up every month. What makes it worse is that the recycling center is only 5 miles away, is open 6 days a week, and accepts glass, plastics, soda and tin cans.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
We have it here in Oregon. Just about to up the deposit and include a lot more drink containers in the scheme. Also going towards recycling centers where you take the stuff back and not to the stores.
As far as I'm concerned it is a great idea, makes sure the stuff gets recycled.
Coming from Maine to MA, it was weird how it is so different down here....only on fizzy drinks can's and bottle, whilst up in Maine it was on water, soft drinks bottles, and 15c on wine bottles and liquors.

Though one thing that was a little amusing, the nice big organic milk bottles from the farm that had the $3 deposit. A bit of a scam with those, people on food stamps could buy them on the stamps and would then empty the milk down a drain to return the bottle for the cash so they could spend the money on smokes and junk food. Because of that, they had to ban folks on food stamps from getting organic farm in bottles with a deposit more than 5c.

It's weird because they didn't even keep or drink the milk, folks were just dumping it and going straight back into the grocery store.

Here in MA, do see a lot of folks in the old town trawling the streets on rubbish day picking out peoples can's before rubbish pick up, but not seeing that happen in the town I'm now in.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
How do they know, do you need to keep the receipt? if so, thats just crazy.

I seem to remember as a kid, that you just took bottles back when you were getting new ones, and it was a kids way of increasing the pocket money.
The barcode, apparently, the machines chuck can's out that didn't come from that store, or chain of store.

There's no manual redemption centre, any place that sells a drink has to have a machine to take back the cans.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:42 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The barcode, apparently, the machines chuck can's out that didn't come from that store, or chain of store.

There's no manual redemption centre, any place that sells a drink has to have a machine to take back the cans.
That's not as bad as needing a receipt, but I don't think I would know where I bought every can and bottle. Would not want to haul any someplace just to have to take them home. I think your "tax.....hard to redeem the deposit" looks right.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

That's not as bad as needing a receipt, but I don't think I would know where I bought every can and bottle. Would not want to haul any someplace just to have to take them home. I think your "tax.....hard to redeem the deposit" looks right.
I think you ought to throw the bloody lot in the harbour with the tea

It seems to me that your local politicians are going overboard with this by not allowing the deposit to be paid out except at the point of sale. This obviously going to cost a lot of people a lot of money... so you need to track down who is profiting from this... no law like this gets passed unless someone makes money!!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem with it here in CT -- I shove them in a bag in the trunk of the car so when I go to the store they are waiting to be redeemed -- but you can take the bottles to any store, not just to the place you purchased them at; the method you describe of returning them to source would be impossible. No deposit on wine bottles, so they just get recycled.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yup, it's a deposit on paper, but the reality is, most of it gets chucked, so the state keeps the money for "local" projects and it's a sly tax.

I think the only time people realistically keep and redeem the cans here is when they're having a party and get a couple crates of fizzy drinks and bottles of beer from the same place, so just return them later.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - big pain in the arse. Typical scenarios:
  • 100 or so beer bottles build up in the garage with the intention of taking them to the store at some point. Get fed up in the end and they end up in the kerb-side recycling.
  • Some crunt decides to go through my kerb-side recycling at 5am on a summer morning (so bedroom windows open), waking up the whole family. It's at moments like this I could easily eschew my anti-gun stance.
  • Bottles sit around in the boot of the car (commuting to work and back with me ten times until the car stinks of beer and they end up back in the garage again).
  • Bottles finally make it back to the offy, where the bar-code reading machine thingy keeps spitting bottles back at me even though I'm sure I bought them there. End up leaving them in the corner and walking off, sans refund.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MA, do see a lot of folks in the old town trawling the streets on rubbish day picking out peoples can's before rubbish pick up, but not seeing that happen in the town I'm now in.
That happens to. We also get a lot of groups asking for donations of the cans. Local food bank run by a church, scouts, schools to get equipment or to pay for trips.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
That happens to. We also get a lot of groups asking for donations of the cans. Local food bank run by a church, scouts, schools to get equipment or to pay for trips.
That happens a lot up in Maine...not so much down here, probably because of the hassle/time trying to figure out where to deposit the empties as there's no general purpose redemption centres down here in MA.

I wonder how the folks who trawl the kerbs do it or if they just have a lot of patience?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a deposit ranging anywhere from 5 cents to 20 cents depending on the size and type of bottle and can.

We can return them to any recycling depot, and most liquor stores, grocery stores etc will take a limited amount back, usually like 25 a day, but the recycling depot will take as many as you bring in.

I knew a homeless guy when I volunteered at a shelter who would make 10-20 a day collecting cans and bottles from the trash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.