Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boston Trip Suggestions

Wikiposts

Boston Trip Suggestions

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boston Trip Suggestions

Originally Posted by Adnams
Taking a weekend trip to Boston this coming Friday.

Have never actually been to Boston apart from to the airport, thats a bit pathetic seeing as we only live an hour and forty minute drive away!

Anyway wanted to know what areas and sites people would recommend visiting. Will only be there from Friday to Sunday so time is limited and I know that there's a huge amount to see.

We're interested in art / history (but I am not doing the freedom trail) and pub crawling.... funny that.

Cheers in advance for any advice.
You could keep an eye out for my bright red truck with silver tank trailer hurttling through the tunnels from Lynn to Worcester and back .... Thurs and fri I will be doing that route
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You could keep an eye out for my bright red truck with silver tank trailer hurttling through the tunnels from Lynn to Worcester and back .... Thurs and fri I will be doing that route
I really appreciate all the advice. I have been wanting to go to Boston for five long yeats but OH is not too keen, seems we're heading to NH instead. Portsmouth and the Brit pub there, and all i wanted to do was go to a Museum for a change. Ho hum
</IMG>
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:17 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We went to NH...a few weeks ago for a job interview...around Salem...found it a bit dirty myself..I'm sure it must be better nearer the mountains...or maybe the Cape is just very clean...cheap housing for the money....and they do have a Denny's even if the waiting staff are in their 70s and look like they started there 50 years ago and never moved on....
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
We went to NH...a few weeks ago for a job interview...around Salem...found it a bit dirty myself..I'm sure it must be better nearer the mountains...or maybe the Cape is just very clean...cheap housing for the money....and they do have a Denny's even if the waiting staff are in their 70s and look like they started there 50 years ago and never moved on....
cheap housing in NH till you pay property taxes, they are massive...and so is car insurance, because it isn't a requirement that you have it, so a lot don't, hence it being expensive for those who do.

the white mountains and to the west, is a lovely part of the state.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:04 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Will only be there from Friday to Sunday so time is limited and I know that there's a huge amount to see.
Say hello to all the winos at the corner of Boston Common by Park Street subway station. There were loads of them there when we visited in March.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:05 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then - I'll do pubs. Knowing you like your beer then these are a few starters in order of my preference (highest first):

1. Cambridge Brewing Company - walkable from downtown (just a few minutes across the bridge over the Charles River). Above-average brewpub beers, rather nice food and large outside seating area (with open fire-pit in case it's chilly). Nice atmosphere inside too.

2. Rock Bottom - ok, it's a national chain but it's very central, reasonable menu and usually has one of it's beers on cask so deserves kudos for that. Some pavement seating too so good for people watching.

3. Beer Works - another chain with brewpubs in and around the Boston area. There's one near North Station and one by Fenway Park. Big and cavernous with an industrial/modern type feel. Large menu and large selection of okay beers.

There's some place out in Allston that's apparently beer mecca - Sunset Tap and Grille (or something like that). Doesn't brew but has a vast selection, both domestic and imported and may also do cask. Not been myself - it's not central but apparently do-able using the green line (subway/tram thingy from centre).

Sorry about the lack of addresses - they're all easily Googleable though, have their own websites for beer and food info and are reviewed extensively on Beer Advocate's website (which also has oodles of other recommended drinking establishments).

P.S. Just got back from me holidays in Portland, OR and San Fran - both amazing cities for beers. Need to take a month to dry out now...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

1. Cambridge Brewing Company - walkable from downtown (just a few minutes across the bridge over the Charles River). Above-average brewpub beers, rather nice food and large outside seating area (with open fire-pit in case it's chilly). Nice atmosphere inside too.
jut added that to the wiki
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:23 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been to Boston since 1988 Still, they had the best aquarium and outdoor dolphin show, I bet it is still as good as it was. We went to a restaurant called 'No Name', it had no frills and you ate at long wooden benches (fine by us there were about 16 of us, lol) The seafood (it is by the water) is great and very, very inexpensive.