Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:34 pm
Hammy

Question Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Any help greatly appreciated

I'm considering and internal move from Scotland to Boston and need to know roughly how much the following will sting me for

# Income Tax / Social Security on my Salary.... say $70k
# Property rental (3 bed+garden) and also purchase prices.... say South/West Boston within a reasonably short commute to State Street/Financial District.... any other areas considered if you have the local knowledge to assist
# Any other outgoings that will need to be considered, medical etc.

Need to do the maths before anything else is considered!

Thank you.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Originally Posted by Hammy

I'm considering and internal move from Scotland to Boston and need to know roughly how much the following will sting me for

# Property rental (3 bed+garden) and also purchase prices.... say South/West Boston within a reasonably short commute to State Street/Financial District.... any other areas considered if you have the local knowledge to assist

Thank you.
There is federal and state income tax to consider as well as social security and medicaid payments, medical, dental and life insurance.

Property rental, car insurance, utilities (gas, electric, heating in some cases), cable television, telephone.

If you have children will they go to public school (free) or have to go to private school (can be expensive).
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There is federal and state income tax to consider as well as social security and medicaid payments, medical, dental and life insurance.

Property rental, car insurance, utilities (gas, electric, heating in some cases), cable television, telephone.

If you have children will they go to public school (free) or have to go to private school (can be expensive).
Boston Schools are crap. I watched this long running documentry on it, and there was always something going down. I wouldn't want my kids going to that school.

Although that blond woman teacher was quite fit.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:54 pm
Hammy

Very valid point given the fact I have a 4 month old daughter. Yet more questions I need answering!

Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:02 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

Thank you.

Can't help you with tax, I just grin and let them take what they want

Rent in Boston is NOT cheap, not even by UK standards ... I'm living on the North Shore and paying $1400 for a 900 square foot, two bed apartment (a nice one, garden, driveway, heat included etc). When I lived in Boston city, I was in Jamaica Plain and paying $1350 for a not very nice 1 bedroom place. The only thing it had going for it was how close to the T it was!

I've read that Boston is as expensive, if not more expensive than Manhatten, and I'd believe it.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:10 pm
Hammy

cheers chief, much appreciated.

I'm expecting to have to pay $2k a month for a 3 bed in a decent location. What areas would you suggest out of Boston City which are family friendly and easy commute into city?

can of tennants lager for the best info as an incentive

Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:48 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

cheers chief, much appreciated.

I'm expecting to have to pay $2k a month for a 3 bed in a decent location. What areas would you suggest out of Boston City which are family friendly and easy commute into city?

can of tennants lager for the best info as an incentive
I don't really know south of the city very much ... Jamaica Plain was pretty nice to live in, well connected by the Orange line, had several arboretums and ponds scattered around, but it is still very much part of the city ... if you're looking for something further out, and looking south, I can't help much.

I live in Lynn, which is right on the coast about 20 minutes drive north of Boston ... some parts of Lynn can be pretty rough, but we are right on the Swampscott border, which is the next town north and *very* nice area. We have a commuter rail within walking distance which runs regularly throughout the day, and is only three stops from North station (you can get both the Green and Orange line from here, if I recall). Salem is a short drive, and a very cool place to live (except for the month of October!) and is also on the same commuter rail line.

My move out of the city was because I work in Lynnfield ... commuting from south boston to a town north of boston everyday was killing me!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:04 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

We live in Salem and pay $1500 a month for a 3 bedroom apartment with garden and heat included. I don't know the square footage but it's pretty generous and the neighbourhood is quite nice too. I've been told we got lucky for the price we're paying.

Our electric bill is about $60 a month, phone and cable $150. I get taxed about 22% of my salary, but got quite a nice return (even rent is tax deductible in Ma). Medical is the real killer and is over $400 a month......

I work at Logan Airport and the 15 mile commute is between 35-60 minutes by car depending on the time of day. You won't be rich on $70k around here, but you should be okay.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

daisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RoB1833
(even rent is tax deductible in Ma).
Is this true? I've just paid someone to to do my MA and Fed returns and they never mentioned this! Do you know where I could find out more?

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:16 pm
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daisy
Is this true? I've just paid someone to to do my MA and Fed returns and they never mentioned this! Do you know where I could find out more?

Thanks
It's a question on the state form.

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/forms/inc...pdfs/form1.pdf

Look at line 14. You can also get tax back on tolls if you pay electronically and have copies of your bills.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

daisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the roughdaisy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RoB1833
It's a question on the state form.

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/forms/inc...pdfs/form1.pdf

Look at line 14. You can also get tax back on tolls if you pay electronically and have copies of your bills.
Thank you. Will pursue this: we arrived in October 2004, won't nake much difference for the that year, but will matter when we do 2005.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:28 pm
Professional Mover

Originally Posted by daisy
Thank you. Will pursue this: we arrived in October 2004, won't nake much difference for the that year, but will matter when we do 2005.
We got here in October too and got back about $150 from this alone.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:32 pm
Professional Mover

Thank you.
House prices are very expenisve. For a 3 bed west or south of Boston you're looking at 350-400k minimum. Definitely cheaper in NH by about $100k, but there the property taxes are a lot higher.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:02 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up in Cape Ann (Rockport). It's an easy drive or train into Boston. It's not the cheapest area but it is picture postcard pretty and a really friendly little town.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sibsie
I'm up in Cape Ann (Rockport). It's an easy drive or train into Boston. It's not the cheapest area but it is picture postcard pretty and a really friendly little town.
Never knew there were so many ex pats in the boston area,although ive said im in boston on my nic,im actually waiting for my visa,although my name is on my fiancee's house and thats in somerville and its not cheap around here.We just let out our 3 bed apartment for $1,500 a month within a few days of listing it.Cable appears expensive to me,other things are cheaper but the electricity and water utilities seem to be like they were here when government owned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.