Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boston or New York?

Boston or New York?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boston or New York?

Originally Posted by starky
... unless any one knows any companies in the Bay area hiring software engineers ;-)
There's quite a few, especially if you've got networking and/or 360/PS3 experience...
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
There's quite a few, especially if you've got networking and/or 360/PS3 experience...
My background is enterprise application integration, (ESB's and Web services/SOA products and development). I would not know where to start with gaming development :-)
Is that your main area? are you also longing for the CA sunshine ....
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is that your main area? are you also longing for the CA sunshine ....
Yup, on both fronts, though I'm an artist...doing a job test for a gig out in Cali at the mo too, when I get time to actually plug away at it.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, on both fronts, though I'm an artist...doing a job test for a gig out in Cali at the mo too, when I get time to actually plug away at it.
I have come across a few companies that ask for some code to solve a problem that they list on there web site. Its a good Idea I suppose, but investing in time to do that is the real killer. I would have no problem if I was a serious contender for a specific job.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I have come across a few companies that ask for some code to solve a problem that they list on there web site. Its a good Idea I suppose, but investing in time to do that is the real killer. I would have no problem if I was a serious contender for a specific job.
aye, doing a quick model or texture if you dont' have it in your folio is fine...but this is 40 hours worth of work and doing in a couple hour bursts during baby nap time is killing the mojoe
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

sklunn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a Brit, I'm just married to one I am a native New Englander, so I can say that price and people wise, Boston wins hands down. And flights to LHR from BOS are frequent and cheap. If you want to live somewhere cheaper but have close access to BOS, you could try going to Maine (my home state) or New Hampshire. They are smaller, but cheaper. Portland is only 2 hours from Boston, so it's like going from York to London.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sklunn
...I am a native New Englander, so I can say that price and people wise, Boston wins hands down...
I was about to say you can't be from Maine saying that, but you are

Welcome to BE though and where abouts in ME?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

sklunn is an unknown quantity at this point

I consider myself from Old Orchard Beach, but I went to UMaine (Orono) so I have some love for central Maine too.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sklunn
I consider myself from Old Orchard Beach, but I went to UMaine (Orono) so I have some love for central Maine too.
That's cool...the missus, her grandmother lives in Orono, still does a bit of work for the uni there too now and again