British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Boring lay-over at Shannon! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/boring-lay-over-shannon-718106/)

Squirrel May 23rd 2011 11:27 am

Boring lay-over at Shannon!

We are flying to Boston via Shannon in September. We land in Shannon at 8.15 and depart for Boston at 13.30.

I'm figuring until about 10am to get through US Immigration & Customs, and boarding the US-bound flight an hour before take-off at 12.30. This would leave two and a half hours to kill time. Not so bad I suppose.

Does anyone know if Shannon has many facilities or is it a pretty titchy airport? Is there a restaurant/foodie pub or just a cafe? Book shop? Internet cafe?

If anyone else has gone this route I'd love to hear if you were really bored or not.

Thanks!

S Folinsky May 23rd 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Boring lay-over at Shannon!

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9382136)
We are flying to Boston via Shannon in September. We land in Shannon at 8.15 and depart for Boston at 13.30.

I'm figuring until about 10am to get through US Immigration & Customs, and boarding the US-bound flight an hour before take-off at 12.30. This would leave two and a half hours to kill time. Not so bad I suppose.

Does anyone know if Shannon has many facilities or is it a pretty titchy airport? Is there a restaurant/foodie pub or just a cafe? Book shop? Internet cafe?

If anyone else has gone this route I'd love to hear if you were really bored or not.

Thanks!

Where do you think "Irish Coffee" was invented? :D

rpjs May 23rd 2011 5:15 pm

Not been through Shannon but I did travel through US pre-clearance at Dublin back in March and there most of the facilities are before pre-clearance with only a small cafe and the like past it. It also seemed like Aer Lingus/Dublin Airport Authority were anxious to get pax to pass pre-clearance as quickly as possible. I could imagine this is reasonable at busy times when there might be long queues, but there was hardly anyone going through the pre-clearance when I was there so I ended up with a long wait at the gate with not much to do.

If no-one can tell you explicitly what the set-up at Shannon is like, I'd suggest when you arrive there find out from the airport staff a) what facilities there are after pre-clearance and b) how busy pre-clearance is that day and then plan accordingly.

Englishmum May 24th 2011 1:46 am

See here:

http://www.shannonairport.com/home.aspx

(You could send an e-mail asking them!).

AdobePinon May 24th 2011 5:44 am

Not so bad I suppose.

Quit your whining! :rofl: Then try being stuck in Atlanta airport for eight hours.

Orangepants May 24th 2011 6:22 pm

I just spent 8 hours at Heathrow on Sunday! Cant believe how much stuff I bought and how much money I spent to idle away the time - had my makeup done, a skin analysis, a manicure and bought way too much duty free stuff. And I read the Sunday Times in its entirety and a book!
I guess I could have stayed in the bar for 8 hours - doubt they would have let me on the flight:o

lokerra May 26th 2011 1:16 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 9383844)
Quit your whining! :rofl: Then try being stuck in Atlanta airport for eight hours.

oh god thats horrible :(

S Folinsky May 26th 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks!

Also, don't be in such a hurry to clear US CBP. From my experience in Canadian airports, once you go through pre-clearance, you are stuck there.

Squirrel May 26th 2011 2:17 pm

Have to try and time it right. Maybe after one or two Irish coffees I won't care! :p