Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boring Credit report question...........

Boring Credit report question...........

Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring Credit report question...........

Originally Posted by franc11s
What your saying is, I've been scared into thinking there's a risk when there isn't one and thus wasting my $240.
I don't think any post was saying that it was wrong to use a credit monitoring service. Al's post merely highlighted the unethical nature of the business -- but it went right over your head! Not sure you fully understand it yet, so here's my explanation using simple words.

Some of the blame for increase in ID theft can be placed directly with the credit bureaus since they have failed to implement adequate safeguards to prevent unauthorized use of your data. Instead, the bureaus are delighted to charge you for protecting your own data. In other words, pay us the money or we'll screw your life up! This is little different from the tactics used by the mob in extortion rackets.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:42 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Some of the blame for increase in ID theft can be placed directly with the credit bureaus since they have failed to implement adequate safeguards to prevent unauthorized use of your data. Instead, the bureaus are delighted to charge you for protecting your own data. In other words, pay us the money or we'll screw your life up! This is little different from the tactics used by the mob in extortion rackets.
Der!! Your right I did NOT get that's what you were saying at all. It's so much easier without cryptic clues as I'm obviously way too slow.

So, now we are on a "this now makes sense point" topic, lets see where this takes us.

I agree with your point that "some of the blame" is with the agenceis. I guess too a lot of the blame though exists with the lack of checks and balances with the banks, lending companies, credit card companies etc.,. i.e. at the SOURCE since they are the ones that do very little validation really. In fact they want you to have a low credit score so they can charge you more... what's hat all about... I also posted before when I went back to the UK and couldn't get a mobile phone without a huge deposit since my credit rating was shot after being gone for 4 years.... it's all weird.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Der!! Your right I did NOT get that's what you were saying at all. It's so much easier without cryptic clues as I'm obviously way too slow.

So, now we are on a "this now makes sense point" topic, lets see where this takes us.

I agree with your point that "some of the blame" is with the agenceis. I guess too a lot of the blame though exists with the lack of checks and balances with the banks, lending companies, credit card companies etc.,. i.e. at the SOURCE since they are the ones that do very little validation really. In fact they want you to have a low credit score so they can charge you more... what's hat all about... I also posted before when I went back to the UK and couldn't get a mobile phone without a huge deposit since my credit rating was shot after being gone for 4 years.... it's all weird.
The blame lies across the whole of the financial industry and their politico friends. Remembering always that corporation have privileges granted by the people, not rights, we need a major reversal in the way things happen in Washington. At the moment it's getting silly with states enacting their own legislation because it obviously is a federal problem. My solution would be several fold:

1/ Kick the lobbyists in the crotch, very hard!
2/ Appoint independent "credit bureau" ombudsman with large boots and wide powers tasked to protect interest of consumers above that of the corporations.
3/ Compel all credit bureau data gatherers to form single company to protect release of consumers' data. At consumer's request, release of any data will be put on hold unless consumer specifically authorizes release with PIN code. This system could be automated and accessed via automated telephone/web -- keeping costs down. Credit bureaus would be unable to charge directly for this service (though it would of course be passed on to the consumer via lending charges).
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The root of ID theft issues in this country is the over and mis use of SSN - which is used in manners it was never designed to - it should never have been linked to finance as it has.

Obviously not the only cause
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
That backs up my original post, you don't have time, people back in the time of the Krays didn't the muscle, see where I'm going with this. Where there is fear, there is a quid to be earnt or $240 dollars per year in your case.

I'm making a spray that keeps away alien invaders from your porch, ask youself this "do you feel lucky", if not it's $40 a can.

I've got special shiny hats for sale, they protect your head against all known terrorist threats* - $20 a pop; how many shall I put you down for?

*I only know of BB shots from 20 yards
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:40 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

The blame lies across the whole of the financial industry and their politico friends. Remembering always that corporation have privileges granted by the people, not rights, we need a major reversal in the way things happen in Washington. At the moment it's getting silly with states enacting their own legislation
Lets give the job to Google. They love collecting Data and they don't charge consumers for anything. They always charge the corporations
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I use Identity Guard, but I get it cheap cos I worked for a bank.

The best feature of it is the Credit Analyzer, which lets you do 'what-if' scenarios on your credit, such as, 'if I get rid of this credit card and take out a loan for $3000 and get such and such a mortgage' and it calculates your credit score for you. I know it works, cos I've been in the US for two years and by following its advice I got my credit up from the mid 500's into the 700's, and it hit the numbers exactly as predicted.

Quite a useful little site....
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:31 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
That backs up my original post, you don't have time, people back in the time of the Krays didn't the muscle, see where I'm going with this. Where there is fear, there is a quid to be earnt or $240 dollars per year in your case.

I'm making a spray that keeps away alien invaders from your porch, ask youself this "do you feel lucky", if not it's $40 a can.

Not really - if you didn't pay ronnie and reggie they would make sure you got what you didn't pay for.
I don't think the same could be said in this case, though I may be wrong.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:33 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

In other words, pay us the money or we'll screw your life up! This is little different from the tactics used by the mob in extortion rackets.
Of course that's what happens
Old Aug 25th 2006, 5:18 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Not really - if you didn't pay ronnie and reggie they would make sure you got what you didn't pay for.
I don't think the same could be said in this case, though I may be wrong.
Fear has many faces but most of the time, forces one outcome, submission.