British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Books (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/books-300794/)

Chandler May 4th 2005 4:13 pm

Books

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help - I am finding it increasingly difficult to get hold of my favourite authors over here in the US. Amazon.com doesn't stock half the books that I like reading and stores like Books etc and Barnes and Noble have a very limited stock, at high prices.

I have just been on to Amazon.co.uk and went to order 7 books and the total came to £40 plus £22 postage which I thought was reasonable until I converted it to $'s. Then I realised that it was a little excessive at nearly $120 for 7 novels and plus I think my hubbie would have killed me! I am used to looking in charity shops and buying cheap books from British Bookshops stores which are half the price of any other book shop.

Anyone any ideas - would it be cheaper to order them to a UK address and then get someone to post them royal mail?

Any advice or good websites appreciated.

Mrs Chandler

NC Penguin May 4th 2005 4:17 pm

Re: Books

Originally Posted by Chandler
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help - I am finding it increasingly difficult to get hold of my favourite authors over here in the US. Amazon.com doesn't stock half the books that I like reading and stores like Books etc and Barnes and Noble have a very limited stock, at high prices.

I have just been on to Amazon.co.uk and went to order 7 books and the total came to £40 plus £22 postage which I thought was reasonable until I converted it to $'s. Then I realised that it was a little excessive at nearly $120 for 7 novels and plus I think my hubbie would have killed me! I am used to looking in charity shops and buying cheap books from British Bookshops stores which are half the price of any other book shop.

Anyone any ideas - would it be cheaper to order them to a UK address and then get someone to post them royal mail?

Mrs Chandler

Two websites my other half uses for buying books are:
www.alibris.com
www.abebooks.com

May I also suggest www.overstock.com. They sell books too and seem to have a huge range of books. This may include some of the authors you're searching for.

NC Penguin

NC Penguin May 4th 2005 4:19 pm

Hi

Mrs Chandler

Do the authors you read have publishers in the US? If they don't, then the first two sites I gave you would be your best bet.

NC Penguin

Chandler May 4th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Do the authors you read have publishers in the US? If they don't, then the first two sites I gave you would be your best bet.

NC Penguin

Thanks for these I shall get searching! Some of the authors have publishers here - they seem to change the cover and the spiel on the back to entertain the US reader - if I had read the back of a US version I wouldn't have bought half the books I have!

Bob May 4th 2005 4:45 pm

Thanks for these I shall get searching! Some of the authors have publishers here - they seem to change the cover and the spiel on the back to entertain the US reader - if I had read the back of a US version I wouldn't have bought half the books I have!

hehe...I've noticed that too...what get's me is when they actually change the name of a book, get all excited there's a new one, and it ain't *lol*

What you can do is check out "antique book barns", usually aren't antiques at all, just second hand books, there's plenty of those in maine at least...very scary places and a mare to find things, but worth a poke around...