Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Booking internal flights

Booking internal flights

Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

cookie2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Booking internal flights

My company is flying us out to explore the States for 2weeks before making a decision to move out and we were thinking of flying from Newark, NY down to Orlando. Could anyone recommend an internet site to pre-book internal flights and the best airport to fly to for the attractions etc in Orlando please (Sandford?)
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking internal flights

Originally Posted by cookie2112
My company is flying us out to explore the States for 2weeks before making a decision to move out and we were thinking of flying from Newark, NY down to Orlando. Could anyone recommend an internet site to pre-book internal flights and the best airport to fly to for the attractions etc in Orlando please (Sandford?)
Sanford is more for charters and a couple of low cost airlines. You're better off with Orlando Intl. Plenty of flights from Newark (which is in NJ btw!). Plenty of websites; just shop around, and look on the airlines' own websites too.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

My hubby flew Orlando International (MCO) to NY last week with JetBlue, think he booked it through Expedia?! I would get booked up as early as possible as with internal flights the prices get higher and higher the closer it is to the date!

HTH
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't you be "getting to know the place, look at accomodation (sic), meet new colleagues etc." -rather than sneaking-off for a heavily discounted vacation, at the expense of your new employer?
Classy.
JetBlue and United/Conti fly direct from EWR - book a week in advance and you can probably do it for around $100 each way + taxes - 1st bag is free on JetBlue too.
Their on-time record is a bit of a joke, but that probably won't concern you if it's solely a recreational visit.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2112 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Shouldn't you be "getting to know the place, look at accomodation (sic), meet new colleagues etc." -rather than sneaking-off for a heavily discounted vacation, at the expense of your new employer?
Classy.
JetBlue and United/Conti fly direct from EWR - book a week in advance and you can probably do it for around $100 each way + taxes - 1st bag is free on JetBlue too.
Their on-time record is a bit of a joke, but that probably won't concern you if it's solely a recreational visit.
The first week is all business "getting to know the place, look at accomodation (sic), meet new colleagues etc." but I have asked them to delay the return flight in order for us to enjoy a week break.

Local travel agent is quoting £622 for 2 people.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:54 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying into Orlando Intl first week in November 2 adults from Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) with Suncountry Airlines $450!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Local travel agent is quoting £622 for 2 people.
UK travel agents don't know how to book travel if it's not pre-prepared in a glossy brochure. Quick look on Expedia and £132.10 per person on Continental direct. Try a bit harder and you should be able to find cheaper, though obviously depends on dates.

By the way, EWR is the code for Newark and MCO for Orlando. Use NYC if you're not bothered which of the New York airports you use (£121 from JFK on American). Be careful if you book your return Orlando to New York on the same day as New York to the UK if the tickets aren't linked (unlikely unless it's the same airline and you phone them up to ask for them to be linked) as any delays could make you lose the New York to London segment or pay hefty flight change fees etc.

Note Awesome's comment about bag fees - factor it into the ticket cost if it's not included as it could make a huge difference.

Last edited by GeoffM; Oct 11th 2011 at 6:21 pm. Reason: Bags
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I spend my frickin' life traveling in the US - JetBlue's website shows EWR-MCO at $96 + tax for 3 flights next week.

When traveling for work, punctuality is important, so I would favor AirTran from La Guardia - but in their defence, JetBlue have best legroom of any US domestic carrier and a less money-grabbing bag policy. They're just not reliable in terms of on-time arrival.

EWR and LGA are both cess-pits of airports - so no preference in terms of departure location.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Classy.
If they're going to be based in NJ, the New Employer may be trying to hide the delights that NJ has to offer;-)

Jim.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I spend my frickin' life traveling in the US - JetBlue's website shows EWR-MCO at $96 + tax for 3 flights next week.

When traveling for work, punctuality is important, so I would favor AirTran from La Guardia - but in their defence, JetBlue have best legroom of any US domestic carrier and a less money-grabbing bag policy. They're just not reliable in terms of on-time arrival.

EWR and LGA are both cess-pits of airports - so no preference in terms of departure location.
Quick question for you, which terminal do internal flights arrive at MCO? And is it easy to just pick someone up from there or would I need to park first?! (ok so there are 2 q's!) Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2011, 2:51 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

In the USA they call 'internal' flights 'domestic'. If you search through the websites or talk to their 800- numbers, that'll probably be the term they'll use.

Three big sites for travel are:

obitz.com
expedia.com
travel.yahoo.com

Get an idea from them what the fare is costing, and then double check some of the other carriers private sites like southwest.com and jetblue.com (some of whom don't always play nicely with the large air fare search engines). You should be able to find a decent flight. EWR is probably your best bet, unless you want to fight across the city of NY to get to LGA (LaGuardia) or JFK (Kennedy), both of which are a bit of a drive from NJ.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Quick question for you, which terminal do internal flights arrive at MCO? And is it easy to just pick someone up from there or would I need to park first?! (ok so there are 2 q's!) Thanks
you can pick up people from MCO quite easily , although you cant stop at the kerb to wait for the people where they come out, you can drive round and round in circles till you see them at the kerb and then stop and pick em up, its only loading and unloading at kerbside, the arrivals come out on the top roadway and the departures enter on the bottom roadway , if i remember correctly. saves you having to park and pay what are no doubt outrageous prices lol
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:05 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulpur
if i remember correctly. saves you having to park and pay what are no doubt outrageous prices lol
You'll just spend it burning gas driving round in circles.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

lol true, but it can be timed quite well so you dont end up doing that hehe
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulpur
you can pick up people from MCO quite easily , although you cant stop at the kerb to wait for the people where they come out, you can drive round and round in circles till you see them at the kerb and then stop and pick em up, its only loading and unloading at kerbside, the arrivals come out on the top roadway and the departures enter on the bottom roadway , if i remember correctly. saves you having to park and pay what are no doubt outrageous prices lol
Thanks! I will make sure hubby arrives before I do to pick him up so he can do any waiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.