Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bonnie Scotland to the Old USA

Bonnie Scotland to the Old USA

Old May 6th 2014, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonnie Scotland to the Old USA

Originally Posted by Frazdog
Im moving from Glasgow, Elderslie (birth place of William Wallace)

Why do you want to go home?

Cause in my opinion the UK and Europe are far better culturally, far more interesting, diverse, a richer experience.
I've done very well in the U.S., especially financially, but I'm tired of it. The quality of life isn't particularly better here, just different.

If you've got the dosh you can do well anywhere, but in the US, if you fall on hard times it's can be much worse than the UK.

(I moved from Airdrie.)
Old May 6th 2014, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Cause in my opinion the UK and Europe are far better culturally, far more interesting, diverse, a richer experience.
I've done very well in the U.S., especially financially, but I'm tired of it. The quality of life isn't particularly better here, just different.

If you've got the dosh you can do well anywhere, but in the US, if you fall on hard times it's can be much worse than the UK.

(I moved from Airdrie.)
I'm curious as to what places you have lived in the US?

Be very careful about moving home. Everyone i know that have done so have moved back (to exactly the same town) within months of living back in the UK. Its not the same seems as it used to be is the general opinion.
Old May 6th 2014, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Several places around California but also extended times in many other States through work.
I've seen a lot more of America than most people.

I go back and forth quite a lot so there won't be any culture shock on my return. Things don't seem much different in Scotland since I left 15 years ago And my US born wife is looking forward to exploring Europe.
Looking forward to a nice wee cottage in Perthshire

Last edited by Hotscot; May 6th 2014 at 6:19 pm.
Old May 6th 2014, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Generally the changes that have happened have been good I think. Lots of regeneration, better shopping and food. I don't really know what the 'it's not like it used to be' brigade are on about. Sometimes it's code for immigrants. Like LA doesn't have any
Old May 7th 2014, 11:24 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Houston%2C_TX

Try this for starters.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:33 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frazdog
so you thinking rent for the first year, minimum, see how the job goes and if I would like to stay then think about permanent later?

what's the cost of a house with a pool to rent??

I will have a look! cheers
I think that approach makes sense.

If you're looking in the 300-400k sort of ballpark to buy, then the equivalent rental will be around 1.00-1.10 per sqft - ie a 4000 sqft house will cost 4000/month, ballpark. Cost of "exterior maintenance" (pool/lawn) will be negotiable - if you end up paying it, it could vary from 30-40/week for the pool, and another 30ish/week for the lawn service.

It is definitely a landlords market out here at the moment. There are not many decent houses that are realistically priced for rental, and those that there are, are going very quickly.

When are you moving? The market (both rental and sales) should calm down a little after the summer.

On the property tax, as mentioned earlier, the owner will pay it if you are renting (ie included in the rent) but once you buy, you will be looking anything from a little over 2% to just under 4% of the property assessed value per year. The amount varies significantly, largely based on which MUD district you are in, and what their outstanding bond liabilities are. Some of the newer developments are higher, while some of the older ones are starting to get cheaper.

On the 60k salary (pre tax?) - not sure what you do in O&G, but that doesn't sound like a large salary for relocating here, but depends on the package. I had an Italian renter who moved here and on his rental application listed his salary as 30k - the rent was 3k/month - wtf It turned out the 30k was his after tax pocket money, because his package included 100% of all his costs - rent, electricity, car, medical etc .

If you are looking at buying a house for $300k with a pool (I would have a serious look at whether that is reasonable - I think you need to be adding another 100k to be honest), then mortgage payments are going to be around 8500-9000pa (15 yr mortgage) property tax could be say 8-10k, insurance 2-3k, so you're talking c.20k gone before you start on cars, medical etc. Someone else has mentioned HAR.com, but have a look at their app as well - it is map driven, and gives a great idea of what is available where it is, and how much it is. You can refine the map search for price, pool, bedrooms, etc etc, and it also has tax info for full comparisons.

Good Luck!

ETA - all the above is based on "new" Katy - west of Fry, North of Westpark, South of I-10

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; May 7th 2014 at 2:34 pm. Reason: ETA - all the above is based on Katy - west of Fry, North of Westpark, South of I-10
Old May 7th 2014, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
.... If you are looking at buying a house for $300k with a pool (I would have a serious look at whether that is reasonable - I think you need to be adding another 100k to be honest), then mortgage payments are going to be around $8,500-$9,000pa (15 yr mortgage) .....
There is something waaay off in your numbers. Payments on the mortgage alone for $240,000 (80% of $300k) are going to be over $1,800/mth for a 15 year mortgage at 4½%.

Payments on even a $100k mortgage over 15 years are going to be more than $9kpa (actually $764/mth = $9,160pa).

I'm going to guess that you put down a deposit substantially greater than 20%?

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2014 at 4:09 pm.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is something waaay off in your numbers. Payments on the mortgage alone for $240,000 (80% of $300k) are going to be over $1,800/mth for a 15 year mortgage at 4½%.

Payments on even a $100k mortgage over 15 years are going to be more than $9kpa (actually $764/mth = $9,160pa).

I'm going to guess that you put down a deposit substantially greater than 20%?

Oops, good catch! I think I put the property tax number twice!
I ran some numbers last week, on the basis of a quote we got at 3.375% and it ran something like 1700/ month, or just over 20k a year.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Forget Trulia, and get onto har.com.

$60k is not a lot of money for and O&G job and unless you have spare cash, you will not afford the better or more commutable areas of Katy. I agree with the other poster, add another $100k to your budget for buying a house. You will jot want to buy in certain parts of Houston as you will take a loss trying to resell if you leave later.

The rentals market is insane now, and rentals seem to be more done word of mouth or within oil companies' relocation departments.

Everyone thinks Houston is a huge bargain, with cheap, plentiful housing for all. That simply isn't true these days. Five years ago we came with a budget of $400k for a house and almost matched it. Now I say go $450k minimum for something in a reasonable location like some areas of Katy.

And we too would love to go back to Scotland, but think we have more opportunities in the US right now for O&G opportunities career-wise. It really depends what you do in the industry, however.

Also the OP may want to talk directly with a relocation realtor like Lorna Ramsey. OP, you can google her.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

He seemed to be saying he'll be on well over $60,000.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Several places around California but also extended times in many other States through work.
I've seen a lot more of America than most people.

I go back and forth quite a lot so there won't be any culture shock on my return. Things don't seem much different in Scotland since I left 15 years ago And my US born wife is looking forward to exploring Europe.
Looking forward to a nice wee cottage in Perthshire
You'll not only have more culture, but fresh air too:-)