Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bonfire Night

Bonfire Night

Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:03 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice
Default Bonfire Night

Anybody doing anything for it? I know actually making a bonfire might not be possible for everyone, but does anybody...I don't know, throw a party or something?

I'm having friends over to watch V for Vendetta. Really excited about it!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonfire Night

We're going over to an early evening party at a brits house....looking at the emailed invite it will be mainly brits there with a smattering of others. I'm assuming no bonfire, but apparently they are planning fireworks...wonder how many we'll get off before the HOA rep comes knocking on the door....
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:23 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nejicano
Anybody doing anything for it? I know actually making a bonfire might not be possible for everyone, but does anybody...I don't know, throw a party or something?

That's a great idea and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it. I was trying to explain to some bird at work about the whole Guy Fawkes thing and I mentioned the film as one she should look up. Could've had a few people round - bit late to organize now...
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nejicano

We have some friends that live in Georgia and they throw a big party every year. He's UKC and she's USC and they have a huge party (bonfire and all, complete with a homemade Guy Fawkes) and invite the neighbors over. Apparently its a big hit in the neighborhood.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - as long as the bloody rain stops for a bit, we're having a bonfire at the neighbours with a GUY, and with our traditional hot dogs and burgers for munchies - and of course, the odd alcoholic beverage may be consumed. There's no way we were going to miss it - and the neighbours are all up for it - should be a good night!!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This year will be having a few people over, using the fire pit I got for my birthday; so I have advised peeps to make mini-guys for burning. I will make a big one for display

In the last three or four years I have rounded up US citizens to go to a park with a beach and fire pits, but October bing what it is, it has always pissed down and with winds, and last year I had to struggle to keep people there long enough to cook a sausage and burn the guys. So compromise is the back garden, with its covered area if the 40% of rain comes true.

Those that have been comming for a few years now, seem to enjoy it. I will be downloading V for Vendett today to have it on screen in the back garden too.

Americans so often seem shocked when I explain what it is, they just hear :
burning a human effigy (at best), I just call it "burn a catholic day" now, and go straight to the shock.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This year will be having a few people over, using the fire pit I got for my birthday; so I have advised peeps to make mini-guys for burning. I will make a big one for display

In the last three or four years I have rounded up US citizens to go to a park with a beach and fire pits, but October bing what it is, it has always pissed down and with winds, and last year I had to struggle to keep people there long enough to cook a sausage and burn the guys. So compromise is the back garden, with its covered area if the 40% of rain comes true.

Those that have been comming for a few years now, seem to enjoy it. I will be downloading V for Vendett today to have it on screen in the back garden too.

Americans so often seem shocked when I explain what it is, they just hear :
burning a human effigy (at best), I just call it "burn a catholic day" now, and go straight to the shock.
Rugby Matt asked me to put you on notice that this post has been reported.

http://www.catholicleague.org/
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
What! are you telling me that is not the way it is percieved by some Americans when you try to explain bonfire night?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What! are you telling me that is not the way it is percieved by some Americans when you try to explain bonfire night?
I tried to tell Matt, but he wouldn't listen.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:59 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

DH saved a firework from the 4th of July, but he doesn't get home from work tonight till 11 so our neighbours may have a bit of a start...
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:28 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Wow, everyone seems to have great plans! So excited for you BE's having a proper bonfire. Jealous, but excited! I know what you mean about explaining it to people though. It's like...hmm, where to begin with this one?!

Sadly, have had to cancel plans for this evening as my immune system is on strike. I'm ill and exhausted. We'll celebrate belatedly, but the thought is there. Definitely going to make this a tradition, but next year I'm planning an actual bonfire.

Hope everybody's nights go well! About time for those bonfires to be lit and Guy Fawkes' to burn!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

We went to a bonfire on the beach with 115 fellow British ex pats in San Francisco, it was strange being surrounded by so many British accents
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we hadn't bothered now I have the hangover from hell, but a great night
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

I thought it rather fitting that ULA launched a Delta II out of Vandenberg AFB at 7.20 last night. As fireworks go, that was pretty frigging spectacular. I saw it from about 120 miles away
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:36 pm
Americano

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
We went to a bonfire on the beach with 115 fellow British ex pats in San Francisco, it was strange being surrounded by so many British accents
WOW! That's brilliant, what a turn out! I'm down in LA, wish we did something big like that here. You can do bonfires on the beach, so it really should get organised sometime since there's such a large community of ex-pats down here.

Are you all friends or is it a BE sort of thing that gets organised?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.