British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bonfire Night (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bonfire-night-692280/)

nejicano Nov 5th 2010 12:03 am

Bonfire Night

Anybody doing anything for it? I know actually making a bonfire might not be possible for everyone, but does anybody...I don't know, throw a party or something?

I'm having friends over to watch V for Vendetta. Really excited about it!

Yorkieabroad Nov 5th 2010 1:30 am

Re: Bonfire Night

We're going over to an early evening party at a brits house....looking at the emailed invite it will be mainly brits there with a smattering of others. I'm assuming no bonfire, but apparently they are planning fireworks...wonder how many we'll get off before the HOA rep comes knocking on the door....

tonrob Nov 5th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by nejicano (Post 8962469)
Anybody doing anything for it? I know actually making a bonfire might not be possible for everyone, but does anybody...I don't know, throw a party or something?

That's a great idea and I'm annoyed I didn't think of it. I was trying to explain to some bird at work about the whole Guy Fawkes thing and I mentioned the film as one she should look up. Could've had a few people round - bit late to organize now...

AmerLisa Nov 5th 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by nejicano (Post 8962469)

We have some friends that live in Georgia and they throw a big party every year. He's UKC and she's USC and they have a huge party (bonfire and all, complete with a homemade Guy Fawkes) and invite the neighbors over. Apparently its a big hit in the neighborhood. :)

Brat1 Nov 5th 2010 2:20 pm

Yup - as long as the bloody rain stops for a bit, we're having a bonfire at the neighbours with a GUY, and with our traditional hot dogs and burgers for munchies - and of course, the odd alcoholic beverage may be consumed. There's no way we were going to miss it - and the neighbours are all up for it - should be a good night!! :)

kimilseung Nov 5th 2010 2:41 pm

This year will be having a few people over, using the fire pit I got for my birthday; so I have advised peeps to make mini-guys for burning. I will make a big one for display

In the last three or four years I have rounded up US citizens to go to a park with a beach and fire pits, but October bing what it is, it has always pissed down and with winds, and last year I had to struggle to keep people there long enough to cook a sausage and burn the guys. So compromise is the back garden, with its covered area if the 40% of rain comes true.

Those that have been comming for a few years now, seem to enjoy it. I will be downloading V for Vendett today to have it on screen in the back garden too.

Americans so often seem shocked when I explain what it is, they just hear :
burning a human effigy (at best), I just call it "burn a catholic day" now, and go straight to the shock.

CelticRover Nov 5th 2010 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8963676)
This year will be having a few people over, using the fire pit I got for my birthday; so I have advised peeps to make mini-guys for burning. I will make a big one for display

In the last three or four years I have rounded up US citizens to go to a park with a beach and fire pits, but October bing what it is, it has always pissed down and with winds, and last year I had to struggle to keep people there long enough to cook a sausage and burn the guys. So compromise is the back garden, with its covered area if the 40% of rain comes true.

Those that have been comming for a few years now, seem to enjoy it. I will be downloading V for Vendett today to have it on screen in the back garden too.

Americans so often seem shocked when I explain what it is, they just hear :
burning a human effigy (at best), I just call it "burn a catholic day" now, and go straight to the shock.

Rugby Matt asked me to put you on notice that this post has been reported.

http://www.catholicleague.org/

kimilseung Nov 5th 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by CelticRover (Post 8963771)

What! are you telling me that is not the way it is percieved by some Americans when you try to explain bonfire night?

CelticRover Nov 5th 2010 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8963858)
What! are you telling me that is not the way it is percieved by some Americans when you try to explain bonfire night?

:lol: I tried to tell Matt, but he wouldn't listen.:(

avanutria Nov 5th 2010 7:59 pm

DH saved a firework from the 4th of July, but he doesn't get home from work tonight till 11 so our neighbours may have a bit of a start...

nejicano Nov 6th 2010 1:28 am

Wow, everyone seems to have great plans! So excited for you BE's having a proper bonfire. Jealous, but excited! I know what you mean about explaining it to people though. It's like...hmm, where to begin with this one?!

Sadly, have had to cancel plans for this evening as my immune system is on strike. I'm ill and exhausted. We'll celebrate belatedly, but the thought is there. Definitely going to make this a tradition, but next year I'm planning an actual bonfire.

Hope everybody's nights go well! About time for those bonfires to be lit and Guy Fawkes' to burn!

sarahlou145 Nov 6th 2010 6:55 am

We went to a bonfire on the beach with 115 fellow British ex pats in San Francisco, it was strange being surrounded by so many British accents :D

Brat1 Nov 6th 2010 5:03 pm

Wish we hadn't bothered now :( I have the hangover from hell, but a great night :)

RickWG Nov 6th 2010 7:24 pm

I thought it rather fitting that ULA launched a Delta II out of Vandenberg AFB at 7.20 last night. As fireworks go, that was pretty frigging spectacular. I saw it from about 120 miles away :)

nejicano Nov 6th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 8964985)
We went to a bonfire on the beach with 115 fellow British ex pats in San Francisco, it was strange being surrounded by so many British accents :D

WOW! That's brilliant, what a turn out! I'm down in LA, wish we did something big like that here. You can do bonfires on the beach, so it really should get organised sometime since there's such a large community of ex-pats down here.

Are you all friends or is it a BE sort of thing that gets organised?